| FTBL Looking around college football, which coach do you think does the best against the spread?

TerryP

Staff
I wasn't shocked to see Locks and Maryland as one of the worst. I went with the Terps a few times, on good value spreads, only to see them flop.

The most successful shocked me. I knew he was solid, just didn't realize how solid.

A match made in heaven? 😈 Hugh Freeze at UNLV. He's best overall and best at home over the last three years.

I only wish Bama was better at it. Now I know I’m going to catch heat for saying it but Saban hasn’t adapted to the spread like I thought he would. He’s changed the type of players he’s recruiting and playing but not so much his schemes. No one in college football could consistently shutdown pro style offenses better than Saban. I mean I really thought he’d be one of the guys to crack the spread nut. So far, he hasn’t been able to do so consistently. Though he has compensated for it by dramatically changing his offensive mindset.

I’m old and old school which means I love great defenses. I’d much rather see Bama beat teams 24-7 than 57-40 … but that’s me. Basketball on grass will never appeal to me. I’ve been blessed that Bama has won 13 NC’s in my lifetime. The vast majority of them were teams with great defenses. Of course, my son thinks my style is boring but he also likes 12-10 baseball games so go figure!

CFN has Freeze at #4. No minimum years.

4. Hugh Freeze, Liberty​

ATS Record (since 2019)
ATS Overall: 24-13 (64.9%)

3. Sam Pittman, Arkansas​

ATS Record (since 2020)
ATS Overall: 15-7-1 (67.4%)

2. Ricky Rahne, Old Dominion​

ATS Record (since 2020)
ATS Overall: 9-4 (69.2%)

1. Blake Anderson, Utah State​

ATS Record (since 2021)
ATS Overall: 10-4 (71.4%)

I only wish Bama was better at it. Now I know I’m going to catch heat for saying it but Saban hasn’t adapted to the spread like I thought he would. He’s changed the type of players he’s recruiting and playing but not so much his schemes. No one in college football could consistently shutdown pro style offenses better than Saban. I mean I really thought he’d be one of the guys to crack the spread nut. So far, he hasn’t been able to do so consistently. Though he has compensated for it by dramatically changing his offensive mindset.

I’m old and old school which means I love great defenses. I’d much rather see Bama beat teams 24-7 than 57-40 … but that’s me. Basketball on grass will never appeal to me. I’ve been blessed that Bama has won 13 NC’s in my lifetime. The vast majority of them were teams with great defenses. Of course, my son thinks my style is boring but he also likes 12-10 baseball games so go figure!
I’m such a dunce! You can tell I’m not a gambler!

Back
Top Bottom