| FTBL Is Alabama the Best All-Time Program in College Football History?

Coach Bryant set the tone, Coach Saban ended the discussion. Never, and I mean NEVER did I think there would be a Coach that would come in after Coach Bryant, and boy howdy. That's how good of a program they are. In the middle of some horrible coaches we still managed some 10 + win seasons. Now they have solidified it. There is no question that Alabama is the best, as of now, and to dethrone them, well, good luck. My guess, there will be another Coach come in, at some point after Coach Saban, and keep the steam roller motoring right along.

Coach Bryant set the tone, Coach Saban ended the discussion. Never, and I mean NEVER did I think there would be a Coach that would come in after Coach Bryant, and boy howdy. That's how good of a program they are. In the middle of some horrible coaches we still managed some 10 + win seasons. Now they have solidified it. There is no question that Alabama is the best, as of now, and to dethrone them, well, good luck. My guess, there will be another Coach come in, at some point after Coach Saban, and keep the steam roller motoring right along.
Coach Bryant set the domination tone but let’s not forget Wallace Wade’s and Frank Thomas’s contributions to Alabama’s greatness. They established Bama as a national power back when the football world didn’t think much of Southern football. As it stands, Bama has won NC’s in the 1920’s, 1930’s, 1940’s, 1960’s, 1970’s, 1990’s, 2000’s, 2010’s and 2020’s! So, since the 1920’s, the Tide has won NC’s in 9 of 11 decades! No other program comes anywhere close to that amazing statistic. And to me, that even more than the number of NC’s defines Bama as the greatest college football team in history.

I remember my first visit to Bryant Museum & remember thinking how crazy it must have been to be a 'Bama fan during Bryant's heydays.

And to give a different perspective on Saban's run, look at the loses to teams that eventually won the National Champiohship:

2007 loss to LSU
2008 loss to Florida
2010 loss to Auburn
2011 loss to LSU
2014 loss to Ohio State
2016 loss to Clemson
2018 loss to Clemson
2019 Loss to LSU

CNS is 165-23 at Alabama. Subtract out the first season losses (clear rebuilding year) leaving 17 loses. Factoring in some flukes (SC in 2010, Johnny Manziel in 2012, Auburns kick sucks 2013, & 2019 Iron Bowl w/o Tua, despite M Jones valiant effort).... Almost half of the remaining losses (8) where to the eventual NC or contender. In other words 34.7% of CNS losses at Alabama were to the actual National Champions of that particular year! Not factoring in the first year of losses then it is 41.1%.

Think of that. Depending on how you count it, roughly 34.7% - 41.1% of CNS total losses were to the eventual NC... This stat is truly mind boggling.

Coach Bryant set the domination tone but let’s not forget Wallace Wade’s and Frank Thomas’s contributions to Alabama’s greatness. They established Bama as a national power back when the football world didn’t think much of Southern football. As it stands, Bama has won NC’s in the 1920’s, 1930’s, 1940’s, 1960’s, 1970’s, 1990’s, 2000’s, 2010’s and 2020’s! So, since the 1920’s, the Tide has won NC’s in 9 of 11 decades! No other program comes anywhere close to that amazing statistic. And to me, that even more than the number of NC’s defines Bama as the greatest college football team in history.
Oh I am not slighting those coaches at all, even Ears Whitworth, which by all accounts made Mike Price look good, had Bart Starr. I agree with Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, and even throw in a Stallings. The bench mark before Coach Saban was Coach Bryant, thats what I was getting at. I guess. Ha

Indeed they will. Been proven decade after decade of winning championships as shown above going all the way back to the 1920's. There will be a down tick at some point, has to be but Bama football is to important way to many people for it to stay down.

I remember my first visit to Bryant Museum & remember thinking how crazy it must have been to be a 'Bama fan during Bryant's heydays.

And to give a different perspective on Saban's run, look at the loses to teams that eventually won the National Champiohship:

2007 loss to LSU
2008 loss to Florida
2010 loss to Auburn
2011 loss to LSU
2014 loss to Ohio State
2016 loss to Clemson
2018 loss to Clemson
2019 Loss to LSU

CNS is 165-23 at Alabama. Subtract out the first season losses (clear rebuilding year) leaving 17 loses. Factoring in some flukes (SC in 2010, Johnny Manziel in 2012, Auburns kick sucks 2013, & 2019 Iron Bowl w/o Tua, despite M Jones valiant effort).... Almost half of the remaining losses (8) where to the eventual NC or contender. In other words 34.7% of CNS losses at Alabama were to the actual National Champions of that particular year! Not factoring in the first year of losses then it is 41.1%.

Think of that. Depending on how you count it, roughly 34.7% - 41.1% of CNS total losses were to the eventual NC... This stat is truly mind boggling.
Incredible, isn't it? You may need to drop 2011 LSU from that list. I think someone beat them in the NC game.

Back
Top Bottom