Hunting Season Prep

My buddy and I leased 150 acres in NE Kansas. Spent the weekend before last hanging stands and cuttings limbs.

Spent last weekend placing bait piles (legal in Kansas).

I just updated my trail cam to the Moultrie panoramic 150. Excited to get out this weekend and see what we have.

Lots of green and crops in the field, so you have to bait early and often to draw the deer in here and hold them. Pays off by Christmas when all the green is gone and snow is on the ground.

Youth season opens 5 Sept for Archery. I bought a Ten point turbo XLT II crossbow this year (legal in bow season here) to extend the season for my kids and get them interested. They are on target with it at 50 yards and are excited for the season.

Land has lots of deer but I only get one buck tag. I think the girls can draw a buck tag on a youth licence but haven't verified that yet. Land has lots of Turkey, too. And fall season starts Oct, so plenty of options. In any case, can't wait to get out there.

5 Sept will include an AM deer hunt, afternoon beer and bbq, and Bama football. Tough to beat

That's pretty strong Che. Kansas is Mecca for deer. Been thinking about one of those trail cams that I can access wirelessly to check on birds in fields & swamp. A little pricey right now, but maybe at some point.

That's pretty strong Che. Kansas is Mecca for deer. Been thinking about one of those trail cams that I can access wirelessly to check on birds in fields & swamp. A little pricey right now, but maybe at some point.

I looked at them. You can get a good one for about 500 bucks. They aren't as quality as some of the others though. The price markup is mostly because of the WiFi capability.

It requires either a rechargeable card or inclusion on your cell plan (att has options). Obviously it requires cell service where you hunt as well, which was a limiting factor for me.

I looked at them. You can get a good one for about 500 bucks. They aren't as quality as some of the others though. The price markup is mostly because of the WiFi capability.

It requires either a rechargeable card or inclusion on your cell plan (att has options). Obviously it requires cell service where you hunt as well, which was a limiting factor for me.
I've got cell coverage, but I've also got 189 acres to cover. Even elevated, that's several cameras. And $500 each ain't exactly cheap compared to $75 trail cams.

I have a client with a solar panel powered wi-fi network of cameras (surveillance for large events), but sticking it on a farm near the meth capital of Alabama is asking for trouble.

Dove fields are planted and ready. Getting a lot of birds out. My father in law likes to plant green fields on his 400+ acres here in Talladega County around the first of September. I'll miss out on that since I'll be in Dallas. I will plant, drag, and hang stands during the week.

Back
Top Bottom