| FOOD How do you make your popcorn? Name brand a big deal?

TerryP

Staff
I don't use a machine.
I don't use a microwave.

Steel pan, probably 3lbs, with vegetable oil. I have a glass top stove so the pan doesn't touch...but it's over the eye, shaken, until it's popped.

Orville.

Rarely do I have a lot of uncooked kernels.

Movie popcorn? Sucks. Horrid.
Microwave? Give me a piece of salted cardboard with butter.

On another note ... I'm about to see if I can make my own "Cracker Jack's."

I don't use a machine.
I don't use a microwave.

Steel pan, probably 3lbs, with vegetable oil. I have a glass top stove so the pan doesn't touch...but it's over the eye, shaken, until it's popped.

Orville.

On another note ... I'm about to see if I can make my ow
  • :rolleyes:
n "Cracker Jack's."
We all know you really want to make Cracker Jill!:rolleyes:

I bought a Whirley Pop for my wife for Christmas, we absolutely love it.
Those are a knock-off of one of the oldest popcorn makers. I've never used one. I believe they'd accomplish the same thing as physically shaking the pan.

Certainly better with a glass top stove.

Have you ever seen one of the first makers that had the handle to turn? Steam holes on the top of the lid, the handle is as well...so that steam is hitting your hand every turn.

Here. Found a pic...

1711965118170.jpeg

I don't use a machine.
I don't use a microwave.

Orville.

On another note ... I'm about to see if I can make my own "Cracker Jack's."
6 quarts in the Whirley, old maids are in the single digits. The rotating wire works just like the large machines, no shaking.

The dark is okay. The light Karo should be outlawed from being used in pecan pies. Golden Eagle or Yellow Label only...
I can't say which one she had. I can vaguely picture it. She used to make my granddad biscuits and chocolate syrup...no tellin' what she was using it for. I get a shiver thinking about how rich and sweet some of her dishes were. It may have a bearing on why I don't eat a lot of sweets.

Hell, trying to think what's the sweetest thing in my house...and it's the cinnamon rolls I made yesterday. Yep, from scratch, thank you.

May have been molasses, but dark Karo was probably more available to my Mom.
The wife and I was were having her brother and his family for Christmas. She thought it would be great to make popcorn balls. Until the bowl slipped out of her hand and all fell on the flood. It took awhile to clean the mess up.

Back
Top Bottom