| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ Game-Ending Run Lifts the Alabama’s Men’s Basketball Team to an 86-76 Victory over Missouri

Wasn't able to watch the 2nd half and I had a bad feeling after watching the 1st half. Looks like I can enjoy the win w/o the frustrations that come with actually watching them :(.

I tell you what, Herbert Jones caught a lot of shit from this fanbase before last season, but he always played hard and got better and made 99.9% of those that ran their mouth eat their words. Rojas seems to be doing the same. His effort may not have synced with last year's team with as smooth as they were, but it's a welcome sight this year and is paying dividends.

I tell you what, Herbert Jones caught a lot of shit from this fanbase before last season, but he always played hard and got better and made 99.9% of those that ran their mouth eat their words. Rojas seems to be doing the same. His effort may not have synced with last year's team with as smooth as they were, but it's a welcome sight this year and is paying dividends.
As I said only saw the 1st half and of course the game prior that he played in. He was indeed giving effort. In the 1st half he was throwing up bricks from 3 point range. The coaches need to help him understand his role for the team is doing the dirty work and bringing energy not shooting 3's.

As I said only saw the 1st half and of course the game prior that he played in. He was indeed giving effort. In the 1st half he was throwing up bricks from 3 point range. The coaches need to help him understand his role for the team is doing the dirty work and bringing energy not shooting 3's.
Unfortunately that's just not Oats' philosophy. Outside of Bediako, if you have an open shot, he wants you to take it. It's a risk/reward because it plays into his recruiting pitch about the offensive freedom guys get here.

If I recall, he hit aome last game and helped us, so it is probably a double edged sword there.

Just watched the 2nd half. man the first 12 minutes of the 2nd half were brutal. Got to about the 8 minute mark and finally got the D energy elevated and it made a huge difference. When you get stops and rebounds it is huge. Bama is a really good team when they play D.

Last edited:
JMO, but Bama is missing vocal leaders on this team. Seemed like Herb, Reese, Petty, and even Bruner were all there to provide the leadership when adversity hit last season. It's really hard to replicate last season's success when you lose that much experience.

Also, not to belabor the point, but our shooting woes are starting to defy law of averages. I cannot think of another team that gets as many open looks as we do and miss them point blank. It's wild. But that doesn't excuse for the poor play. Once again, defensive lapses where guys give up guarding their man from the perimeter. Then no one getting a hand on a player and giving up second chance points.

There's not a single loss or win that will turn things around. Unfortunately it looks like these guys wake up when they're down by 5 or 10 during the game. It is what it is.

JMO, but Bama is missing vocal leaders on this team. Seemed like Herb, Reese, Petty, and even Bruner were all there to provide the leadership when adversity hit last season. It's really hard to replicate last season's success when you lose that much experience.

Also, not to belabor the point, but our shooting woes are starting to defy law of averages. I cannot think of another team that gets as many open looks as we do and miss them point blank. It's wild. But that doesn't excuse for the poor play. Once again, defensive lapses where guys give up guarding their man from the perimeter. Then no one getting a hand on a player and giving up second chance points.

There's not a single loss or win that will turn things around. Unfortunately it looks like these guys wake up when they're down by 5 or 10 during the game. It is what it is.
When they get the energy turned up on the defensive end they just look like a different team which they are. I will say at least for Mizzou, I would have think the defensive strategy was probably not to have to guard the 3 point so tightly just given their track record this year. They had to adjust that when Mizzou came out and lit it up in the 2nd half from 3 point line.

One last observation, they have also shown significant improvement over the last 3 games on the boards including the offensive end. To me that is evidence of more effort.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama men's basketball team outscored Missouri 30-9 over the final 10-plus minutes to take down Tigers, 86-76, in Coleman Coliseum Saturday night. It was the Crimson Tide's second consecutive victory as it improved to 13-6 overall and 4-3 in Southeastern Conference play.

Junior guard Jaden Shackelford led Alabama with 21 points and seven rebounds on the night to collect his sixth game of 20-plus points this season and the 19th of his career. Freshman guard JD Davison contributed 17 points, shooting 3-of-4 from beyond the arc and adding four rebounds and two assists, while junior guard Jahvon Quinerly finished with 13 points, nine assists and five rebounds off the bench.

Missouri (8-10, 2-4 SEC), which led for more than 33 minutes in the contest, was led by Jarron Coleman's 17 points to pace four players in double figures.

Head Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments​

"Well, needed that win. We didn't play very well to start the game, but we did show some resilience and fight to figure out a way to fight back. It seems Missouri has their best shooting games against us every time we play them. This time, we kept competing and figured out a way to play hard and turn them over, especially down the stretch. They only had five turnovers late in the game after a media timeout if I remember right. I think we doubled their turnovers in the last eight minutes of the game. We just we need to turn the pressure up, which we did, so I give our guys a ton of credit. I think we ended the game on a 30-9 run. Those guys that were in – Quinerly really got up into them. Shack, Keon Ellis – those guys forced some turnovers which kind of turned the game around. I thought (James) Rojas played really well. He got three tip-ins, took the charge and brought us some energy we needed. We have to figure out ways to start games with better energy no matter who we are playing."

Team Stats​

• Alabama improved to 7-1 in its eight games played against Mizzou in Coleman Coliseum
  • After Mizzou outrebounded the Tide by 11 in the first matchup between the two teams two weeks ago (1/8/22), Alabama outrebounded the Tigers, 44-33, which included 23 offensive rebounds
  • The 30-9 game-ending run included Alabama scoring 11 straight points that turned a 73-68 deficit with six minutes left into a 79-73 lead with 2:53 remaining, giving the Tide its first lead since a 3-2 advantage just minutes into the contest
  • The Crimson Tide finished the contest hitting 21-of-29 free throws compared to Missouri knocking down just 3-of-5 from the charity stripe
  • Senior walk-on guard Britton Johnson played three minutes in the first half, collecting two points and three rebounds, all on the offensive glass
  • In his first career start, Darius Miles scored the first points for the Tide with a three in the opening minute of play

It was great too. I was at the game last night.

The kid gave hella good minutes.

Hustled after boards, a nice steal or two, and a layup. When he came out, the crowd stood and cheered his efficient effort.
Oats mentioned him in his post game as he knew this kid would give effort and set an example to others about the effort he needs them to play with. Honestly if he is having this kind of issue with certain players give kids like this those minutes. Quit giving those other players those minutes. With that said seems like the kid should have had more minutes if you really want to get the teams attention. I know JD and Oats said they have been trying to get him to play harder. Well if he is not sit his butt down. I would say the same for Shackelford, Quinerly or any of them if they are not willing to bring the effort. Oat's doesn't need to play around with this part of the team if he wants to create a culture that will sustain. Seems like he has not done that nearly as much as is needed with this team.

I guess I’m old school but back in the day, late 60’s early 70’s it didn’t matter who were were or how talented, if you didn’t give 100% effort in practice or a game your butt was on the bench. Bama won this game against Missouri because they gave 100% effort on defense the final minutes of the game. This should be a lesson to these players that effort will win them a lot of games.

it didn’t matter who were were or how talented, if you didn’t give 100% effort in practice or a game your butt was on the bench.
Honestly I think this still applies even today. Oats doesn't need to have a short term view that will cost him long term. Even if you lose games sit people on the bench if they are not going to give effort no matter how talented they are or what has been promised them. No way to know if they have been promised things but if they have that is another issue that will create problems long term.

Back
Top Bottom