| FTBL Freshmen on the depth chart

Five freshmen to watch heading into Alabama's season-opener | BamaInsider.com

A total of nine freshmen showed up somewhere on the two-deep depth chart Alabama released Monday morning. Punter Skyler DeLong and defensive back Patrick Surtain II were the two lone starters but likely won’t be the only newcomers to feature during Alabama’s season-opener against Louisville. Here are five freshmen to watch heading into Saturday’s game.

Patrick Surtain II

Surtain is listed as a co-starter with JUCO transfer Saivion Smith at cornerback. When Alabama’s defense takes the field for the first time Saturday, it will likely be Smith who lines up on the opposite side of the field from fellow starting cornerback Trevon Diggs. However, don’t be surprised if Surtain finds his way onto the field at some point early on in the game.

While Surtain is only listed as an outside cornerback on Alabama’s depth chart, he has also been seen working at the Star position out of the nickel package this offseason. The 6-foot-2, 202-pound defensive back has the speed to keep up with faster receivers but can also get physical with bigger targets over the middle.

Surtain was the top cornerback in the 2018 class and is the son of three-time NFL Pro Bowler Patrick Surtain who coached him during high school. It will be interesting to see if that NFL pedigree allows the freshman to transition quicker into Alabama’s defense.

Skyler DeLong, punter

Like Surtain, DeLong shares his starting role as he is listed on the depth chart alongside walk-on Mike Bernier. Although, DeLong is expected to handle the bulk of Alabama’s punting duties. In doing that, he will also carry the weight of replacing JK Scott, Alabama’s all-time leader in punting yards, average and attempts. While no one is expecting DeLong to step in and be a like-for-like replacement for Scott right away, the freshman punter will be needed to pin opponents deep to help out a inexperienced Alabama defense.

“Skyler has been more consistent, but that’s also a challenge for him to continue and get more and more consistency,” Alabama head coach Nick Saban said earlier this month. “When he hits the ball, he hits it fantastic. Most of it with most punters, it’s confidence in the drop, and that’s what we're really working on with him. But his operation time and all that has been really, really good. We’ve just got to get him a little more consistent in direction kicking and putting the ball where we’d like for it to be.”

DeLong was rated as one of the top punters coming out of high school. One advantage he’ll have this season is the addition of first-year special teams coach Jeff Banks, who comes to Alabama after five successful seasons at Texas A&M. Banks was a two-time all-conference punter for Washington State and should be able to ease DeLong’s transition into the college game.

Jaylen Waddle, wide receiver/punt returner

Another freshman who could help out on special teams is five-star receiver Jaylen Waddle. The 5-foot-10, 177-pound playmaker is listed as the backup at both punt returner as well as the H receiver. This season, Alabama will look to get him the ball as often as possible in open space.

“He’s very shifty and quick and got elite speed, so that really helps him get around so linebackers, safeties won’t be able to touch him,” receiver Jerry Jeudy said. “So, that really helps him get around, get open.”

Waddle was rated as the No. 7 receiver and No. 31 player overall in the 2018 class. He generated plenty of buzz following Alabama’s second scrimmage after reportedly hauling in two touchdowns and more than 100 yards through the air.

“He’s been really fun to watch," tight end Miller Forristall said. "He’s one of those new guys that has come in and, I think, done a very good job just doing what they are asking him to do, and continuing to do so is for the coaches to decide how that plays out, but I think that he’s done really well.”

Ale Kaho, inside linebacker

One of the biggest surprises on Alabama’s depth chart came at the Will linebacker position as Ale Kaho was listed as the lone backup to Dylan Moses. Kaho, who was rated as a four-star linebacker, recently joined Alabama after leaving Washington a week into preseason camp.

Because Kaho never signed with Washington, he’s eligible to play right away at Alabama. From what we’re hearing, it won’t be a shock if he sees the field early as well. A source close to the program called Kaho a “straight badass” and said while the freshman still needs to catch up on Alabama’s terminology, he should see the field sooner rather than later.

Kaho, 6-foot-1, 218 pounds, is the lightest of Alabama’s linebackers. Coaches will likely try to bulk him up as the season progresses, especially as the team moves into SEC play.

“I feel like he’s got potential to be a great player,” linebacker Mack Wilson said. “I was just watching him as we were doing individual [drills], and he seemed to have high energy. He seemed to be happy. He said he was going through a lot, and we’re just trying to make him feel at home and just trying to take him in and show him how we do things at Alabama.”

Eyabi Anoma/Cameron Latu, outside linebacker

OK, we lied. We’re giving you six players to watch. The reason being, it’s too hard to pick between outside linebackers Eyabi Anoma and Cameron Latu. Both freshmen share backup roles with redshirt senior Jamey Mosley as Anoma is listed at the Sam linebacker position while Latu is slotted as a Jack linebacker.

Due to his five-star rating, Anoma has received more hype than Latu this offseason. However, both young linebackers have looked impressive during drills. The two should see some playing time as pass rushers, especially after Alabama lost outside linebackers Terrell Lewis and Christopher Allen to likely season-ending injuries.

“The biggest thing I’ve seen from them is their willingness to learn because obviously, those guys are all talented,” outside linebacker Christian Miller said. “They wouldn’t be here if they weren’t. I’ve seen tremendous physical traits from them, but the thing I like about all those guys is they all want to learn.

“They’re texting me, coming up to me, asking me, ‘Can we get extra film?’ every day. That’s something that I think is awesome, and I’m more than willing to help them. Those guys have been doing a really good job. I just told them, ‘Y’all are probably the most advanced group of freshman that I’ve seen here since I’ve been here, and I’ve been here a while.’”

I guess it is possible that even though Bama wasn't ranked #1 in recruiting past year it appears the talent might be higher than the ranking. We'll see.
One thing that can be said, with no doubt, is the '17 class is a "tight one." Do the team rankings and the subsequent media firestorm have anything to do with their attitude? I think so.

The "lowest ranked class Saban has had since..." has to have lighted a spark.

Ale Kaho progress report is very surprising. A lot of these updates this summer and fall camp have been so glowing about these freshmen it's really hard to comprehend that it's that true. Saturday is going to be very intriguing to say the least.

Ale Kaho progress report is very surprising.

I've watched people talk about him. I remember someone saying "he's dumb." It's in one of the threads here.

Why is it surprising?

It's surprising to me because he wasn't here for all of the fall camp practices. I did remember someone saying he wasn't going to qualify at UW, and an article over the last few days actually said his immediate eligibility was due to the fact he never officially signed with them. Someone was keeping the door open for him to play somewhere this year.

RTR,

Tim

I've watched people talk about him. I remember someone saying "he's dumb." It's in one of the threads here.

Why is it surprising?

It's surprising to me because he wasn't here for all of the fall camp practices. I did remember someone saying he wasn't going to qualify at UW, and an article over the last few days actually said his immediate eligibility was due to the fact he never officially signed with them. Someone was keeping the door open for him to play somewhere this year.

RTR,

Tim

Someone was keeping the door open for him to play somewhere this year.

I just want to give The REC a big thank you for being able to find a 5* LBer via the wavier wire after the injury bug for The King. Salute to them.

The CIA wear REC pajamas.

RTR,

Tim

Plus he came in underweight and some mentioned he was going through some serious family issues. To ball out and have his act together is very encouraging. Now we just have to make sure when he's in the dining hall he gets seconds.

I saw the "dumb" tag placed on Kaho on another board. It was from someone who used to visit here. I didn't think it was fair to tag a kid that had only been here a week and a half!!!

Why is it surprising?

I made a comment to that post you are speaking of. Pissed me off to hear someone say that about an 18 year old dealing with divorce, death, weight loss, and moving all the way across country to join his new school at the end of camp. I believe it was someone passing on information from CrimsonBoz and something he was told, but don't quote me on it being Boz.

I was taking it as a comment about terminology of the defense myself, because of how difficult it is for a lot of second and third year guys.

Why is it surprising?

I made a comment to that post you are speaking of. Pissed me off to hear someone say that about an 18 year old dealing with divorce, death, weight loss, and moving all the way across country to join his new school at the end of camp. I believe it was someone passing on information from CrimsonBoz and something he was told, but don't quote me on it being Boz.

I was taking it as a comment about terminology of the defense myself, because of how difficult it is for a lot of second and third year guys.

I had posted info from Boz and his comments about our LBer. Boz has good info much of the time but JMO he tries to expand/enhance such info as well. He gets his info from a source within the complex/team.

Why is it surprising?

I had posted info from Boz and his comments about our LBer. Boz has good info much of the time but JMO he tries to expand/enhance such info as well. He gets his info from a source within the complex/team.

I have always appreciated his post. That was the first time I didn't care for something he said just due to the circumstance.

Back
Top Bottom