| FTBL Freshman Chris Steele, who was one of UF's biggest recruits, has decided to transfer. HIs reasoning is definitely salacious (bad look for UF.)

TerryP

Staff

Florida freshman cornerback Chris Steele is transferring from the school.

The former five-star recruit has entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal. Steele met with UF coach Dan Mullen on Wednesday night and informed him, a source close to the situation told The Sun.

The decision stems from a request Steele made to the staff during his first month on campus, the source said. He asked to be moved to a different dorm because he was uncomfortable rooming with quarterback Jalon Jones, his classmate.

The staff did not plan to move Steele until the summer, which upset Steele and his parents, according to the source.

Then two female students accused Jones of sexual assault in the players’ dorm rooms on April 6. That prompted Steele to seek a transfer.

Jones has not been charged but has left the school.

Regarding Steele’s decision to transfer, the Florida football program had no official comment on Thursday.

Steele committed to the Gators at the All-American Bowl on Jan. 5 and enrolled early the following week. He received first-time reps in the spring and was expected to make an immediate impact this season.

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Steele was the highest-rated recruit in UF’s 2019 class, earning a consensus top-50 ranking and a five-star rating from Rivals.com.

He was Florida’s first California signee since 2010, hailing from St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, Calif.

So they lost Jones and Steele... although the article talking about the incident seemed to make Steele look bad too... They may be better off without them from the sound of it...

Last edited:
Jesus Christ, this story took a complete turn. At first I'm thinking "oh so he's an entitled brat that didnt get his way and now he's leaving" and then you keep reading lol Evidently he wanted to change rooms cause he either already knew how the guy was or had seen or heard about something. Yikes.

EDIT
Holy cow, read the other story. So, the timeline goes: after he found out who he was rooming with Steele and his parents asked for him to be switched to another room (which tells me they already had misgivings about the other kid). They told him it couldn't happen until the summer and then he freaking witnessed that other dipshit sexually assaulting or attempting to sexually assault girls and was even listed in the police reports as a witness, and then he leaves. Wow.

I'm sure Coach Saban could make room for Steele.

Gets worse for Mullen:

You can add a third name to the list of elite prospects that have decommitted from Dan Mullen’s program over the previous 24 hours.

The latest setback on the recruiting trail for the Florida program comes from four-star receiver Trevonte Rucker of Ocala. Rucker is rated as the nation’s No. 5 receiver and the state of Florida’s No. 6 prospect in the 2021 recruiting cycle by 247Sports, Rucker was the highest-rated prospect in the Gators’ recruiting class leading up to his decommitment announcement.

Following the news of Chris Steele’s decision to leave Dan Mullen’s program, Florida has now lost over half of its commitments in the 2021 recruiting class. The first domino to fall was elite defensive end Bryce Langston, who decommitted on Thursday which was followed by the decommitment of Dink Jackson on Friday. Following these three decommitments, the Gators are down to just two commitments in the 2021 recruiting cycle.

Rucker announced the news with the following message on Twitter:
“I am truly blessed to be in this process and I just want say I’m thankful for having an offer from the Gators but I will be decommitting from the University of Florida.

“No interviews.”

While none of the players have referenced the Steele situation when announcing their decommitments from Florida, clearly the incident has them second-thinking their decisions to play in Gainesville. However, considering there is so much time before these players have to sign their scholarships, there’s no doubt Mullen and company can weather this storm and rally back any of the lost commitments.

However, as it stands now, the negative perception some have of Florida at the moment, these decommitments are only going to add fuel to that fire.

Back
Top Bottom