| FTBL Former Texas player files $50 million lawsuit against NCAA

PhillyGirl

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/28/former-texas-player-lawsuit-ncaa-head-injuries

A former Texas Longhorns offensive lineman and tight end has filed a $50 million class action lawsuit against the NCAA, according to KEYE-TV Austin.

Julius Whittier was a member of the Longhorns from 1969-1972 and was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease around August 2012, according tohis lawsuit.

He cites "repeated traumatic head impacts" he sustained as a player as the reason for his health problems and argues that the NCAA "has breached its duty to protect college football players in the face of long-standing and overwhelming evidence regarding the need to do so."

Whittier's lawsuit includes all former NCAA football players who played from 1960-2014, did not go on to play professional football and who have been diagnosed with a latent brain injury or disease.

In the lawsuit, Whittier alleges that the NCAA ignored its duty to protect players and "profited immensely from its inaction and denial, all to the detriment of the players." He also claims the NCAA failed to educate football players of the "long-term, life-altering risks and consequences" of head impacts in the sport.

of all the positions on a football team that i would think have increased risk of alzheimer's from impact, offensive line is not one of them. i think their risk is somewhere near the placekicker.

of all the positions on a football team that i would think have increased risk of alzheimer's from impact, offensive line is not one of them. i think their risk is somewhere near the placekicker.

He played TE too.

Here is an interesting read on the guy - http://blogs.denverpost.com/college...iles-50-million-class-action-suit-ncaa/32144/.

Whittier was a solid contributor in his three varsity seasons, as an offensive lineman and tight end. By the time he was a senior in 1972, he had five black teammates and the integration of of the Texas program was proceeding. He went to the Texas law school, and his stint as assistant DA was under legendary DA Henry Wade. He handled many high-profile cases for Wade. Shortly after Wade retired, Whittier entered private practice. Over half of his practice involved defending indigent clients, who often were surprised by his candor in emphasizing that they could take control of their lives by making better personal choices. While his early onset symptoms were evident, he was among those inducted into Texas’ Hall of Honor in November 2013.

A most impressive man. As was stated above, why isn't he suing Texas, and his former coaches, as well as the NCAA?

In the era that he played, there was a much greater tendency to use the head as the lead part of the body in a tackle. Licks to the head were pretty common, and if the player who got hit knew where he was, he went right back into the game.

In the years since the 1989 Alabama/Auburn game, something occurred that I've thought about more than once since that time, especially in view of the concern in recent years over head injuries. Alabama had a gritty, and good, defensive back named John Mangum, It was a very physical game, and towards the end of it Mangum, who had gotten "His bell rung" more than once that day, got up after a play and went to the Auburn huddle, he was so disoriented. They redirected him to our huddle and he continued in the game. At least for the near future he had no ill effects, as he went on to play several years in the NFL for the Bears. I wonder how he is doing today. I wonder why he was left in the game at that time.

Back
Top Bottom