| RECRUIT šŸ€ Former ā­ā­ā­ā­ā­ PG, Nimari Burnett, transferring to Alabama

With Oats' success on the floor and recruiting, you have to wonder why previous coaches couldn't do it. He's done it at a high level and fast.
I've always thought it wasn't too difficult to see where the problems were.

With Gottfried: his insistence on running an old UCLA high post offense when he seldom had players to do so much less coaching against a team where that scheme would work.
With Grant: Bama has some really long, athletic guys who could run the floor. His offense was almost like a set offense we'd see in Hoosiers.

Which brings me around to Johnson. I believe he had an eye for talent but lacked the ability to relate/coach kids in this age group. It's a bit ironic to me that we can look at his NBA career and see the Mavericks won a championship two years after he left and then we see Oats win one two years after Johnson left UA.

(Oats has definitely changed the culture but it's my believe there isn't enough credit being given to Johnson who began the rebuild of the roster.)

Back
Top Bottom