| NEWS Dabo Swinney: Clemson might have inadvertently provided PEDs to suspended players - AL.com

bama alum

Uhm...Oops.

Dabo Swinney says Clemson may have mistakenly provided PEDs
ByBRAD CRAWFORD

(video)

Clemson may have mistakenly provided performance-enhancing drugs to players, Tigers coach Dabo Swinney acknowledged to The Post and Courier on Saturday.

Defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence, offensive lineman Zach Giella and tight end Braden Gallowayfailed an NCAA drug test ahead of the College Football Playoff Semifinal against Notre Dame in December and did not play in the postseason after testing positive for ostarine.

“Oh yeah, I mean, there’s a chance that it could come from anything,” Swinney said when asked if it’s possible the players ingested ostarine in a Clemson-issued supplement. “They’re going to test everything and look at everything. And that’s the problem. As you really look at this stuff, it could be a contaminant that came from anything, that was something that was cleared and not a problem, and all of a sudden, it becomes there was something.”

It's been over a month since Clemson appealed the three player suspensions to the NCAA and the university is still awaiting word on how the banned substance made its way to players.

Swinney told The Post and Courier that the process is out of his hands and that the university’s legal team is still looking into all possibilities, which includes the chance that Clemson gave the players something the athletic department thought was cleared by the NCAA.

“It’s a huge undertaking, and I really have not been in that loop,” Swinney said of the appeal process, via The State. “I’ve gone and seen Dan maybe like a minute here and a minute there over the last several weeks. I now that they’re all working through that.”

Lawrence has entered the NFL Draft while Galloway and Giella are ineligible to play in games (but can practice) until Clemson's appeal is complete.

"Ostarine is a product used to boost muscle growth and prevent muscle wasting, which is a result you would normally expect from steroids," according to MYNVFI.org. "However, Ostarine differs from traditional anabolic steroids in the way it affects your body. Most notably, with Ostarine you can avoid some of the most common unwanted side effects of steroids."

"Ostarine is a product used to boost muscle growth and prevent muscle wasting, which is a result you would normally expect from steroids," according to MYNVFI.org. "However, Ostarine differs from traditional anabolic steroids in the way it affects your body. Most notably, with Ostarine you can avoid some of the most common unwanted side effects of steroids."

That does not sound like something that could just be some random ingredient in a protein shake or something like Dabo is trying to imply.

My guess is that with all of Clemson's recent football success he would like to change the narrative that his players are cheating to get there. If the University was ignorant enough to do something like that, why would it have affected only 3?

@50+yeartidefan There's a handful or assumptions that can be made and they aren't that far off from reality.

We could be looking at three guys whose metabolism didn't process the Ostarine out. I've seen the numbers at 18-20 tested. There's the possibility others would have tested positive. While both ideas are assumptions, both are also realistic possibilities.

And that's not discounting the possibility Clemson medical department just failed to adequately monitor what they kids were taking / what they were giving them.

@50+yeartidefan There's a handful or assumptions that can be made and they aren't that far off from reality.

We could be looking at three guys whose metabolism didn't process the Ostarine out. I've seen the numbers at 18-20 tested. There's the possibility others would have tested positive. While both ideas are assumptions, both are also realistic possibilities.

And that's not discounting the possibility Clemson medical department just failed to adequately monitor what they kids were taking / what they were giving them.

This is not an easy steroid to get your hands on. This stuff hasn't been approved for human use in this country. There is no legal medication that contains ostarine. It's not legal to use the ingredients in dietary supplements yet. So GNC stores wouldn't be advertising it on their shelves until that happens.

So, what's Clemson's nutritional staff doing with something that is fairly rare yet even in the steroid world?

What University staff would monitor their players to make sure they aren't accidentally on something that's very difficult to juice on?

There's some truth there @TUSKtimes but I think it needs a clarification or two. I understand what you're saying. But, let's differentiate between "approved" and "available." Being tested, and being approved, are different but both are cases of it being ingested, right? It's being studied around the world for muscle degenerative diseases and recuperation so we do have human consumption.

Easily available, btw. It's sold online.

There are a lot of possible explanations here. And, in my view, none of them are a good look for Clemson.

Did they know? LOIC would likely fit.
They didn't know but gave it to their players? That's borderline medical malpractice it would seem.

If it's as simple as the players juicing and then lying to the staff at Clemson? They got what they had coming.

My question....how only 3... wasnt the same stuff available to the other 122...
Strange...kicked our ass without their stud DL....damn

When I was a freshman in '89, they only tested around 15-20 each week and it was supposedly random. I say supposedly because I was tested 6 different times that season and never set foot on the field.

Back
Top Bottom