| FTBL Conference title games

musso

Does anyone know how the new system this season will reward conference championship game winners? Are they given automatic home field advantage in the playoff? If not, what is the benefit of winning if you’re ranked highly enough that losing won’t exclude you from the group of 12?

Does anyone know how the new system this season will reward conference championship game winners? Are they given automatic home field advantage in the playoff? If not, what is the benefit of winning if you’re ranked highly enough that losing won’t exclude you from the group of 12?

I believe so. I thought the top ranked Power Five Champions were seeded accordingly.

I believe so. I thought the top ranked Power Five Champions were seeded accordingly.
Oh so you’re saying that a lowly ranked team who happens to participate in and win its conference championship game will automatically be seeded among the top, regardless of its record or quality wins? Either I’m getting too old for this, or this is too confusing to keep up with haha.

The top four conference champions get a first round bye. The remaining eight teams have first round games on campus (#5-8 get home field). The winners of the first round then play the top four teams in the Fiesta, Peach, Rose and Sugar Bowls. That leaves four teams to play in the Cotton and Orange Bowls. The winners then play for the championship in Atlanta.

The top four conference champions get a first round bye.
1) By this do you mean the four highest ranked conference champions?

2) And does this include all conferences, big and small??? (I’m thinking of a scenario where there may be parity in the Power 4 conferences, but an undefeated Cinderella from a non-Power 4 goes undefeated.)

3) So am I right in saying that any advantage there might be by a highly ranked, playoff-bound team in avoiding its conference championship game is mitigated by the first round bye for the conference champs? I suppose that’s fair. Although having to play a first round opponent could still be preferable to having to play an SEC opponent in the conference championship game. I keep coming to the conclusion that an SEC championship game victory will be rendered unhelpful and profitless. Give me a first-round playoff opponent, be it non-SEC or an SEC opponent in an elimination-game setting, rather than a SEC conference title game when there’s no guarantee I won’t face them again in the playoff!

I keep thinking of when we played and beat LSU (2011) and Georgia (2017 or 2018) in the Nattys when we didn’t have to play them in the SEC title game. They had to play one more quality opponent than we did those seasons.

Last edited:
Any insights on my other questions, oh guru @TerryP?
A few. Today is a unique day.
If not, what is the benefit of winning if you’re ranked highly enough that losing won’t exclude you from the group of 12?
The context of this question is based on the very thing I pointed to when expansion discussions began. You are suggesting that a playoff berth makes games in the regular season meaningless. It does.

A few. Today is a unique day.

The context of this question is based on the very thing I pointed to when expansion discussions began. You are suggesting that a playoff berth makes games in the regular season meaningless. It does.
And you...dont or didnt think bowl games in this era were. No. Not opening this box again but...
Prior to CFP expansion. Bama feasted on direction schools n lower division n mercer type in nconferance games occasionally getting a ko game worth observing...n Settling for sec schools. Some good. Some worse that bad. Vandy..ms state..

Bowl matchups ...in name fine..without key players...brutal ( see fsu last year)

With xpantion. We now have schedules full of excellent non conference teams...expanded conference worth the hours of watching. All around. So many awesome games. A loss isnt restricting the view. Gonna be fun. And post conference championship games. Get ready....

Most fans see it. What a season of anticipation..

I watched maybe a game or 2...,maybe...( doubt it) after championship games. Til cfps.
Bet i watch so many going forward .... the excitement dulls the feeling of an impending loss. Here or there..

Oh. N cant leave without....aint it great to be the standard in cf...roll tide

Last edited:
With xpantion. We now have schedules full of excellent non conference teams...expanded conference worth the hours of watching. All around. So many awesome games. A loss isnt restricting the view. Gonna be fun. And post conference championship games. Get ready....
We won't in the future.
And you...dont or didnt think bowl games in this era were. No. Not opening this box again but...
Do I think that the bowl games made the regular season less meaningful? I've never hinted at such. I am saying an assured berth makes a regular season game meaningless. We see it every year in the league.

We won't in the future.

Do I think that the bowl games made the regular season less meaningful? I've never hinted at such. I am saying an assured berth makes a regular season game meaningless. We see it every year in the league.
Some wont til they are lefy out based on pure WsnLs. Like college bball
And bowls...teams ..coaches..watered down schedule to make a bowl...even teams with losing records got "rewared" with a bowl invite.l.

You are suggesting that a playoff berth makes games in the regular season meaningless. It does.
Well I was particularly addressing conference title games, not really the regular season. While I agree an expanded playoff makes the regular season less meaningful, at the end of the day one’s record will always mean a lot. I foresee winning every regular season game will remain critical to give teams latitude to lose a conference title game, even deliberately by resting key players, without being excluded from the playoff. Therefore in my mind, regular season victories will only be slightly devalued whereas conference title victories will be greatly devalued, unless one or both participants are already on the margins of the top 12. The conferences need to agree to return to awarding conference titles like they did pre-1992.

Some wont til they are lefy out based on pure WsnLs. Like college bball
You can't make a comparison between the two sports. Nothing fits.

IE: In basketball, you can win your conference and it doesn't mean an auto bid. Win the conference title game, and you have one.

The team that wins the MWC isn't getting an auto bid

Well I was particularly addressing conference title games, not really the regular season.
They aren't a part of the regular season in football. While team may not be in the championship game, the post season begins after the championship games, in my opinion.

IE: Basketball has a regular season champ, and a tourney champ. Football has a conference championship.

You can't make a comparison between the two sports. Nothing fits.

IE: In basketball, you can win your conference and it doesn't mean an auto bid. Win the conference title game, and you have one.

The team that wins the MWC isn't getting an auto bid
Actually you can

A committee picks and ranks an sets playoffs

And they look at schedule and strength of schedule

And regular season and Ws n Ls.

So there is lot of similarities

Back
Top Bottom