Coffee drinkers: This one is a "dayum!"

TerryP

Staff
I had a contract several years ago where they had complimentary coffee available for clients in the office. The machine was one of those single serve machines. Do you know the type? You can get them through Amazon for around $70 bucks or so.
They load something like this...
0007217923148_AV3_60X60.gif

I loved the convenience, don't get me wrong. It's a great concept: French Vanilla, Dark Roast, fake coffee (called decaf by some sects,) espresso, and a variety of other choices. For example, the Nespresso Arpeggio costs $5.70 for 10 espresso capsules, while the Folgers Black Silk blend for a K-Cup brewed-coffee machine is $10.69 for 12 pods.

Get this. I'm not real picky on my coffee but if it gets to around 10 bucks or so a pound I'll start looking more closely. This one blew my mind.

That Nespresso? It works out to $51 bucks a pound! The Folgers? $50!

Where's the Bailey's?

Get 8 oclock whole bean
, warm them up in microwave then brew your coffee. You will be amazed how good it is. Red diamond the same. Grind after microwave.

It's a crap shoot finding Red Diamond around here. One week they'll have it, when I run out they don't. My grandfather used to drink RD. I didn't know that until just a few years ago and I've been drinking it for years.

I've heard of people microwaving the beans. How long for you?

45 - 60 seconds for enough for a full pot. World Market has some killer buys on some kicking Costa Rican whole bean. I cover them in a pyrex bowl and grind 'em almost expesso fine before brewing.

I am a toolmaker by trade and the reason for the outrageous price of convenience packaging is the enormous cost to "tool up" for such an enterprise. Something like this started up from design phase could easily run 5-6 million dollars. Many times new equipment must be invented and patents applied for

I am a toolmaker by trade and the reason for the outrageous price of convenience packaging is the enormous cost to "tool up" for such an enterprise. Something like this started up from design phase could easily run 5-6 million dollars. Many times new equipment must be invented and patents applied for

Not to hard to recoup of five-six million dollar investment at 51 bucks a pound, eh? :biggrin:

Changing the subject slightly...how long have you been a toolmaker? I've a friend who live four/five blocks from my house that has been a toolmaking/die business for almost 20 years. Purely by accident, I saw his "vacation pay" check the other week. He is pulling in just over $57 an hour right now. He does go to "Chinese overtime" (is that politically correct now-a-day? :confused: ) from 40-50 hours. But, I don't many that would complain about getting around 29 an hour for overtime.

Up until the downturn , I was kicking at 80K year for~46 hrs a week. Been going downhill since mid 07. Wife has been on me to open up a BBQ place for years.

Wow. That would be a step out of your element, it seems. Unless you have that type of experience. Your work week will jump from that 45 average, that's a definite.

I do bbq better than anybody. Going to trademark the name soon.

When I moved to the Carolina's I discovered people had invented how to screw up BBQ. If I could get away with it, I'd find the person who invented a mustard based BBQ sauce and I'd find a way to perform retroactive abortions. Seriously, I've had a few of the mustard bases that were "fairly" good...those all had different peppers added so it came across like a Jalapeno Honey Mustard flavor.

All that brings me to this...what kind of base are you using? I'm assuming vinegar.

No, not asking for your recipe...but, if you want to PM me with it!!! :hyper::hyper:

My white sauce would mak Big Bob Gibson pee his pants. All are vinegar based, but everything gets Big Daddy's Butt Rub rubbed onto it before the smoking. Because:shock: of the tastes of so many people, I am working on some Carolina type sauces.

One of the best things about having traveled around the South for the past 25 years is the food. About seven out of ten times I ask a local where to eat, I'd get a variation of "you boys like BBQ? We got the best BBQ in the country!". I enjoy all types of BBQ, and I've had a fair share of Carolina BBQ lately (Lexington BBQ just last Monday). Tomato, vinegar, mustard or mayo based, I don't care - just smoke it real good. I've got a buddy from Texas who does a fair number of private gigs (some with his large smoker "Smokezilla", others with a pig box to cook a 50 to 80 pound pig) and few competitions. His brisket yields a heck of a smoke ring, and is like butter. I'm more pork than beef for my BBQ, but that brisket made a believer of me.

RTR,

Tim

One of the best things about having traveled around the South for the past 25 years is the food. About seven out of ten times I ask a local where to eat, I'd get a variation of "you boys like BBQ? We got the best BBQ in the country!". I enjoy all types of BBQ, and I've had a fair share of Carolina BBQ lately (Lexington BBQ just last Monday). Tomato, vinegar, mustard or mayo based, I don't care - just smoke it real good. I've got a buddy from Texas who does a fair number of private gigs (some with his large smoker "Smokezilla", others with a pig box to cook a 50 to 80 pound pig) and few competitions. His brisket yields a heck of a smoke ring, and is like butter. I'm more pork than beef for my BBQ, but that brisket made a believer of me.

RTR,

Tim

Tim, where did you eat, Hudson's?

We have an office in Cayce, mostly delivery and a few sales personnel, that Hudson's catered a meal for us about two years ago. The spread, whole hog, was something to behold. Great presentation!!!

Surely you aren't talking about Maurice's?!?!

Tim, where did you eat, Hudson's?

We have an office in Cayce, mostly delivery and a few sales personnel, that Hudson's catered a meal for us about two years ago. The spread, whole hog, was something to behold. Great presentation!!!

Surely you aren't talking about Maurice's?!?!

I actually ate at Lexington BBQ, right off of Business 85 in Lexington. Typical Carolina variety - vinegar sauce, finely chopped (almost ground), good hushpuppies. I'm easy when it comes to BBQ - I like it all.

Terry, how's your watering hole doing? I'll be down before too long, probably at least one overnight. I'll try to dress appropriately this time.

RTR,

Tim

I actually ate at Lexington BBQ, right off of Business 85 in Lexington. Typical Carolina variety - vinegar sauce, finely chopped (almost ground), good hushpuppies. I'm easy when it comes to BBQ - I like it all.

Terry, how's your watering hole doing? I'll be down before too long, probably at least one overnight. I'll try to dress appropriately this time.

RTR,

Tim

I haven't been to Lexington BBQ though I've been past it several times. The next time you are in the area you should stop by Gilligan's and grab some of their hush puppy mix! Easy to make at home, heck of a flavor!

I haven't been up there in a few weeks. I HAD to take some vacation time the last few weeks. There is no carry-over with days with EPP. To say the least, I've been working on things that really didn't need doing at the house, but now...done.

Let me know where you are going to be staying. We'll go to someplace a little more convenient and a place that willingly accepts people dressed like Baptist ministers!

BTW, its a Navy/Marine bar now...we've pretty much ran the old crowd out...but even the new crowd doesn't look like they just walked out of a meeting with First Federal. :biggrin:

I haven't been to Lexington BBQ though I've been past it several times. The next time you are in the area you should stop by Gilligan's and grab some of their hush puppy mix! Easy to make at home, heck of a flavor!

I haven't been up there in a few weeks. I HAD to take some vacation time the last few weeks. There is no carry-over with days with EPP. To say the least, I've been working on things that really didn't need doing at the house, but now...done.

Let me know where you are going to be staying. We'll go to someplace a little more convenient and a place that willingly accepts people dressed like Baptist ministers!

BTW, its a Navy/Marine bar now...we've pretty much ran the old crowd out...but even the new crowd doesn't look like they just walked out of a meeting with First Federal. :biggrin:

Fair enough, but my meeting was a little farther away than that. Perhaps I can dress in casual attire, get a clean haircut and fit in at your establishment.

Back
Top Bottom