| RECRUIT CNS Rejects 2 Players Over NIL Demands

Couldn't read the whole article, but wow. Unreal. Good for coach sending them packing. It is so sad this is what college football has come to. Cannot believe people are supportive of this type of behavior when it came to paying players.

It's an issue everywhere and I don't think it's real surprising. The majority of these highly recruited HS kids are not just asking for big NIL deals, they are expecting them, demanding them. Most all of us said it would get out of hand and it has, and look no further than the Florida fiasco with the Rashada kid. Saban sent the message directly to the HS coaches that it isn't going to fly at UA, and good on him for doing it. Meanwhile, a lot of these other schools (like A&M and Miami) are dealing with a house of cards. And a lot of these kids are entering into NIL deals that are not as rock solid in terms of guaranteed money as they think... it is going to make for some ugly situations (and lawsuits) in the near future.

It has been talked about to death, but there were a number of ways to make NIL more fair, more regulated, and more sustainable. The NCAA kicked the can down the road instead of getting out in front of it, then it blew up on them. Everyone shares blame IMO, even a lot in the media who pushed for it and just acted like it would work itself out and in the end everyone would be winners. There are some good things about it, and I think there needs to be a form of NIL for athletes... but what we've ended up with is toxic to college football and college sports in general.

I believe the transfer receiver from Louisville might be one. Harrell.
It's not. Harrell's story has been well documented here. His injury was legitimate. His approach to rehab wasn't in my view. When he was able to get back into the rotation he'd fallen far enough down the depth chart he was looking up at 3's getting more reps.

I'll go as far as to posit the one evaluation that's impossible—no matter the coach—is judging how well a kid will respond to injury and what's needed to make it back to the field of play.

Would have loved to be in room when a player walks in and starts "demanding?" Money or help with girl friend from Nick....

Thing is......When it comes to helping people better themselves, Saban has proved to be more than happy to help people in this situation. Kid must have been a real idiot in how he handled it.

One of the docs I worked with played for Bear in the early 70's. Blew out his knee between Fresh/Soph year. Floundered around his sophomore year. Talked with coach at the end of the season and agreed to give up his scholarship. Bear wrote him a letter of recommendation for med school. He felt that letter was the kicker to get him accepted.

Back
Top Bottom