| CURRENT EVENTS Clarence Thomas on the abortion debate(s)

TerryP

Staff
Here's the link to the thread on Twitter.

Unrolled:

Clarence Thomas just now:

"Given the potential for abortion to become a tool of
eugenic manipulation, the Court will soon need to confront
the constitutionality of laws like Indiana’s."

CT: "This case highlights the fact that abortion is an act rife
with the potential for eugenic manipulation. From the
beginning, birth control and abortion were promoted as
means of effectuating eugenics."

CT: "Planned Parenthood
founder Margaret Sanger was particularly open about the
fact that birth control could be used for eugenic purposes."

CT: "Having created
the constitutional right to an abortion, this Court is
dutybound to address its scope. ... The Constitution
itself is silent on abortion."

Note that Justice Kagan (and Breyer) apparently join the Court in upholding the IN fetal remains law. 7-2 (Ginsburg and Sotomayor). supremecourt.gov/orders/courtor…

Also note that despite about 12 pages of Justice Thomas on Margaret Sanger and the racist/eugenicist roots of abortion, Justice Ginsburg does not respond to these points at all in her separate opinion.

I bring this up due to a question, or scenario, that was posed to me. It was a story that's stuck with me despite it being an analogy.

Imagine this for a minute:

The United State has finally landed a manned mission on Mars. During their exploration they find what appear to be a sack. It's about the shape of a spiders egg sack, but much larger. The skin is almost transparent but not to the degree you'd find looking through clear glass. It's translucent enough to where you can see the shape that features arms, legs, and a head.

Out of curiosity one of the scientist probes it to gauge its reaction. Not only does the sack shrink but becomes almost opaque. It reacted to the probe.

With the use of an ultrasound they can hear what they can only describe as a heartbeat. Is it life on Mars?

Immediately they send word back to NASA reporting exactly what they've found. We see news breaks across the nation that life has been found on Mars. "It's got a heartbeat! It's reacting to pain.!"

How would the world react?

Now, circle back to where we are today with these abortion debates. It just doesn't fit, doesn't it?

It's certainly a creative analogy and at the same time I'll admit, it gave me pause when contemplating today's news cycle.

Back
Top Bottom