| FTBL Chase Goodbread, BamaOnLine.com Staff Writer nailed ESPN...

srollins

Verified Member
Speaking of the feeding frenzy after Saban's remarks, Chase Goodbread has this quote:

"What if Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey or Kentucky's Rich Brooks had made the same remarks.

Does it make a wave or two? Probably.

Does it lead off ESPN's SportsCenter? Not a chance.

Talking heads like Dan Le Batard and Michael Wilbon would have the American public think production meetings are that even-handed. Deep down, however, they and all the other national pile-ons know that's bull.

ESPN sold out for the sensational over the substantive years ago. That's why its best reporter, Bob Ley, has to run its best program, Outside the Lines, from a weekend broom closet while juvenile programming like Around the Horn commands a daily, front-porch presence. Not to pick on ESPN solely - it doesn't corner the market on the sensationalism of sports media - but at a minimum, it personifies it.

This isn't the first time since he took the UA job that Saban's comments have become a story all their own. One gets the feeling it won't be the last. What's certain is that Nick Saban + Alabama = an awfully powerful microscope.

Saban's latest remarks can't be defended on their face. But the media pulpit makes itself hard to defend, as well."

Thanks Chase, this needed to be said in print!

;flame ESPN

Re: Chase Goodbread, BamaOnLine.com Staff Writer nailed ESPN

srollins said:
Speaking of the feeding frenzy after Saban's remarks, Chase Goodbread has this quote:

"What if Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey or Kentucky's Rich Brooks had made the same remarks.

Does it make a wave or two? Probably.

Does it lead off ESPN's SportsCenter? Not a chance.

Talking heads like Dan Le Batard and Michael Wilbon would have the American public think production meetings are that even-handed. Deep down, however, they and all the other national pile-ons know that's bull.

ESPN sold out for the sensational over the substantive years ago. That's why its best reporter, Bob Ley, has to run its best program, Outside the Lines, from a weekend broom closet while juvenile programming like Around the Horn commands a daily, front-porch presence. Not to pick on ESPN solely - it doesn't corner the market on the sensationalism of sports media - but at a minimum, it personifies it.

This isn't the first time since he took the UA job that Saban's comments have become a story all their own. One gets the feeling it won't be the last. What's certain is that Nick Saban + Alabama = an awfully powerful microscope.

Saban's latest remarks can't be defended on their face. But the media pulpit makes itself hard to defend, as well."

Thanks Chase, this needed to be said in print!

;flame ESPN

What I find funny is how we"ALABAMA" are a middle of the road team (for now). Yet, evertime Saban or Alabama does something it's front page news. Kinda makes me feel good to be honest!

The only thing I disagree with is that assertion that Outside the Lines is some credible program that attempts to clean up and expose the filthy world of sports for the rest of us ignorant, unenlightened sports fans.

OtL is no different from any other show on ESPN as far as I can see. They pick hot topics and go out of their way to disparage the character of the people and insititutions they do these topics on. They attempt to make villians out of people based on little more than opinion or one-sided commentary designed to prop up and push one side of a partiucular argument, i.e. ESPN's side of the argument. Not only all of that, but OtL comes off as some kind of sanctimonious, holier than thou entity as well.

porkchop said:
The only thing I disagree with is that assertion that Outside the Lines is some credible program that attempts to clean up and expose the filthy world of sports for the rest of us ignorant, unenlightened sports fans.

OtL is no different from any other show on ESPN as far as I can see. They pick hot topics and go out of their way to disparage the character of the people and insititutions they do these topics on. They attempt to make villians out of people based on little more than opinion or one-sided commentary designed to prop up and push one side of a partiucular argument, i.e. ESPN's side of the argument. Not only all of that, but OtL comes off as some kind of sanctimonious, holier than thou entity as well.

As true as that may be, my point wasn't to glorify OtL. What I was focusing on was that somebody in the media finally said what we've been saying for so long... that ESPN pushes the "JOURNALISM" (hard to say that word in the same sentence with ESPN) out of thier programming as much as possible to make room in thier prime time slots for sensationalism and piling on. Not to mention cheap shots and taking statements out of context in order to crucify people. (well, I guess I did mention it after all)

Also, just lost the 6th in a row to the barn. I feel like I just got forced to have inappropriate relations with a convict. (I hope that reference doesn't make to ESPN to be taken out of context and thus starting my crucifixion...along with the fact that I used the word crucify. They would surely not pass up the chance to claim I likened myself to our Lord...Those ESPN pukes make my head hurt)

Just my opinion,
SR

Back
Top Bottom