| PRO Changes for the 2021 NFL combine

NFL Combine 2021: League sends memo announcing key change coming to this year's scouting event - CBSSports.com

The major change is that there will be no in-person workouts held at the Combine this year. Instead, any workouts will take place during individual pro days on college campuses. The league stated in the memo that they will work with the schools to encourage consistency "in testing and drills across pro days and ensure that all clubs have access to video from those workouts, irrespective of whether the club is represented at a particular workout."

They are also working to obtain medical information about all the prospects who would ordinarily be invited to the Combine, which will include testing done at medical facilities near the prospect is currently residing. In special cases, there will be in-person follow-up examinations that likely occur in early April. Under those circumstances, each club will be allowed to send one physician and one athletic trainer to conduct those in-person exams, which will likely occur over a two or three-day period.

As for team interviews with prospects, those will be done virtually instead of in-person.

Touched on this a couple weeks ago... there was a push from the NFL medical side to cancel it. National Football Scouting runs the combine, not the NFL, so they had the final call. I'm a bit surprised they pulled the plug, but there is enough time for teams to get most of the info they are going to want (or need by be a better word). The medical stuff is the biggie that could cause some issues. But, Sr. Bowl week's player interviews now has a greater importance as well. Personally, while I'm surprised they canceled it, I think some teams put a bit too much stock into the Combine and don't rely on the players' game film quite enough in their evaluations.

Combine has in some ways reminded me of what we used to call “Thursday heroes” when I played FB. On Thursday coach would have 7-8 plays that the offense would run in anticipation of the Friday game. You always had the try hards on scout defense that anticipated the play and tried to run to a spot instead of playing assignment. That is kind of what the combine is to me, folks know the routine on the physical side and just try to stand out at certain things

Back
Top Bottom