| FTBL Cecil Hurt involved with "rogue" booster

Big_Fan said:
This is a non-story.

At the time of the loan, Keller was not involved in any NCAA investigation. All Cecil did was get a personal loan for healthcare expenses and Keller cosigned...Cecil had no obligation, moral - ethical, or otherwise, to tell his employer that he needed a friend/acquaintance as a cosigner for a loan. The insinuation that he did is a pile of crap.

If Keller had given him a pile of cash in the middle of the NCAA investigation, it would have been one thing, but this was a cosigner on a loan who was not involved in any investigation at the time.

Crap like this makes me angry. We have no right to know that Cecil had to take out a $4000 loan for medical bills and Keller cosigned. If Anna Maria Della Costa had any journalistic integrity, articles like this would go unpublished. The media - even the Ttown news - lives to stir up controversy to sell papers and it is wrong. Their article may have been a preemptive strike to publish an article before another paper ran with it, but NO paper should have had access to this information. It should have remained private and the Ttown News should never have heard about it.

Cecil Reprimanded???? For a cosigner 7 years ago!!!!????

Please Lord, Make it Stop!

I've seen 2 journalism professors that have disagreed with you and none supporting your opinion.

A reporter putting himself in position to be beholding to a source is a pretty glaring problem to most logical people, imo.

More importantly, when Keller did become the story and Hurt was covering the story, why didn't he go to his bosses at that point if the situation was so innocent. He could have just asked tht someone else cover the story, couldn't he?

alagator said:
Bo7 said:
I've always thought there was something shifty about Hurt. This just confirms it. How stupid do you have to be to ask a source for money? They need to fire his ass and bring in Kirk McNair to take over like he did when Cecil went on his "sabbatical".
Kirk McNair is an unethical and completely unprofessional journalist, who also happens to be a hack writer.

McNair has far, far more conflicts of interest than Hurt, and I dare say every other reporter for the Tuscaloosa News combined. McNair's nose was so deep up Logan Young's arse he could tell what Young had for morning breakfast by scent alone. If the T-News were to do as you suggest, they might as well forget about having any integrity with their subscribers and readers.

I don't know how long you've known Kirk, but I've known him most of my adult life. There is nothing unethical about him. Of course, you're more than entitled to your opinion. In fact, you have a constitutional right to be full of chit.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
Bo7 said:
Lenny Kozlowski said:
For those keeping score.......Im with Gator

Got to admire a man who steps right up and admits that he's full of chit!

What have you proven in this thread? That yuou claim to have known Kirk your entire life? Big freaking deal

You and gator are the ones calling a man unethical, so I think it's you who needs to "prove" it. Of course, if you're just FOS (I and I believe you are) you don't have to prove anything. What's the score?

Bo7 said:
I don't know how long you've known Kirk, but I've known him most of my adult life. There is nothing unethical about him. Of course, you're more than entitled to your opinion. In fact, you have a constitutional right to be full of chit.
Ask your good friend Kirk to give you a full and complete and ACCURATE retelling of exactly what went on in the hotel suite of Logan Young between Young, the football recruit Kenny Smith and his family, and Mal Moore. Compare the truncated information he will provide you with the common knowledge now known and with your own common sense.

And ask your good friend exactly why he has NEVER to this day written an article for his insiders at bamamag (or anywhere else for that matter) detailing the clear and obvious NCAA rules violations committed by several people in that room with vested interests in Alabama football. Ask him exactly what journalistic ethics have guided him to sit on his first-hand knowledge of Young's, the Smith's, Moore's, and his very own actions in violation of NCAA rules. Ask him what journalistic ethics have guided him to comment on the culpability of all the other parties in that issue but to avoid any and all reporting or critical analysis of his drinking and golfing buddies.

Had McNair kept his mouth shut during the investigative and judgment phases of our dark days involving his drinking and golfing buddies I might have a different opinion of him and his professional integrity. But no, McNair was point and front with harsh criticism of people tasked to uncover and correct the mess HE and his friends had in good part created. He aggressively assaulted the reputations and qualifications of some people who were daily dealing with the very real possibility of seeing UA football given the DEATH PENALTY for actions of which HE and his buddies had COMMITTED and/or failed to properly report.

What Hurt did was a serious breach of a basic journalistic ethic. McNair, in just this ONE instance, has shredded the entire book. McNair has less journalistic integrity than my pet dog.

How's that 'chit' sitting with you?

alagator said:
Bo7 said:
Ask your good friend Kirk to give you a full and complete and ACCURATE retelling of exactly what went on in the hotel suite of Logan Young between Young, the football recruit Kenny Smith and his family, and Mal Moore. Compare the truncated information he will provide you with the common knowledge now known and with your own common sense.

And ask your good friend exactly why he has NEVER to this day written an article for his insiders at bamamag (or anywhere else for that matter) detailing the clear and obvious NCAA rules violations committed by several people in that room with vested interests in Alabama football. Ask him exactly what journalistic ethics have guided him to sit on his first-hand knowledge of Young's, the Smith's, Moore's, and his very own actions in violation of NCAA rules. Ask him what journalistic ethics have guided him to comment on the culpability of all the other parties in that issue but to avoid any and all reporting or critical analysis of his drinking and golfing buddies.

Had McNair kept his mouth shut during the investigative and judgment phases of our dark days involving his drinking and golfing buddies I might have a different opinion of him and his professional integrity. But no, McNair was point and front with harsh criticism of people tasked to uncover and correct the mess HE and his friends had in good part created. He aggressively assaulted the reputations and qualifications of some people who were daily dealing with the very real possibility of seeing UA football given the DEATH PENALTY for actions of which HE and his buddies had COMMITTED and/or failed to properly report.

What Hurt did was a serious breach of a basic journalistic ethic. McNair, in just this ONE instance, has shredded the entire book. McNair has less journalistic integrity than my pet dog.

I am probably the person on this board who has none Kirk the longest, since we played basketball together from the time I was in teh seventh grade through the 11th grade, but that is not relevant to this issue.

Although Mal Moore was not named in any of our violations as having been culpapble, I believed while the investigation was going on, and still believe, that his friendship with Logan Young had a lot to do with the harsh punishment that we received. Say what you want about some of the questionable evidence and tactics that the NCAA used during the investigation (I said a lot at the time) those sitting on the committee that made the decision were not fools. Thet saw multiple situations where Logan Young kept popping up, and all too often Mal was right there beside him. During the Kenny Smith incident Mal was in LY's hotel room. When Mal was in Memphis he stayed at LY's home. While the standard of proof would not rise to that of a criminal trial, a "prudent man" when viewing the evidence, could well have concluded that LY had bought his way into high places in Alabama athletiic circles, and that his good friend Mal was complicit in all the wheeling and dealing. This appeared to be beyond LOIC, on to institutional corruption.

Only a very few people know what actually went on in the LY episodes, and I suppose that we never will, but the perceptions caused by his actions certainly hurt us a great deal.

alagator said:
Bo7 said:

You bring up something interesting here Gator. While talking about KM, you mention he's never written anything about the investigation. Basically, you are saying he had first hand knowledge, but due to his position in the realm of things he didn't write anything about it.

Yet, Hurt did. So, while Hurt did and you characterize him as a person who seriously breached the code of ethics McNair didn't write anything and he's a worse offender?

There are things both writers knew of and neither reported on. There are things that a lot of people knew of and haven't been written or posted.

I'm curious. While I didn't have a direct link to any of the things that happened in and around the program but I've chosen not to post them or write about them on public forums or publications am I to assume I've breached this code of ethics in which you speak of?

alagator said:
Bo7 said:

And ask your good friend exactly why he has NEVER to this day written an article for his insiders at bamamag (or anywhere else for that matter) detailing the clear and obvious NCAA rules violations committed by several people in that room with vested interests in Alabama football. Ask him exactly what journalistic ethics have guided him to sit on his first-hand knowledge of Young's, the Smith's, Moore's, and his very own actions in violation of NCAA rules. Ask him what journalistic ethics have guided him to comment on the culpability of all the other parties in that issue but to avoid any and all reporting or critical analysis of his drinking and golfing buddies.Had McNair kept his mouth shut during the investigative and judgment phases of our dark days involving his drinking and golfing buddies I might have a different opinion of him and his professional integrity. But no, McNair was point and front with harsh criticism of people tasked to uncover and correct the mess HE and his friends had in good part created. He aggressively assaulted the reputations and qualifications of some people who were daily dealing with the very real possibility of seeing UA football given the DEATH PENALTY for actions of which HE and his buddies had COMMITTED and/or failed to properly report.

Maybe you need a lesson in Journalism 101, since you don't seem to understand the difference in a New York Times owned newspaper and a promotional magazine. We you educate yourself on the basics of the industry, get back to me.

In the meantime, thanks for demonstrating your personal problem with Kirk. The people Kirk bashed are well known and, imo, deserved every negative comment sent their way. The were absolutely incompetent.

BTW, you have beautiful brown eyes.

TerryP said:
You bring up something interesting here Gator. While talking about KM, you mention he's never written anything about the investigation. Basically, you are saying he had first hand knowledge, but due to his position in the realm of things he didn't write anything about it.

Yet, Hurt did. So, while Hurt did and you characterize him as a person who seriously breached the code of ethics McNair didn't write anything and he's a worse offender?
Actually, I am not at all saying that McNair has "never written anything about the investigation." In fact, the paragraph that follows the one you highlighted asserts the exact opposite.

McNair wrote profusely about the investigation and many of the people involved in it. Only, he, at his own admission to me personally, was present at the infamous meeting between Young and the Smiths and Moore in that hotel suite in Nashville. Kirk saw and heard what happened. Kirk is very well aware of Moore's failure to follow proper procedures in reporting the incident to the UA compliance staff.

So in all the sound and fury Kirk made with article after article and radio appearance after radio appearance, he has never come clean with the TRUTH about which he had first hand knowledge regarding his drinking buddy (Young) and his golfing buddy (Moore).

Had McNair really remained truly silent in the whole ordeal, I would have less disdain for his journalistic ethics and integrity. Not a complete lack of disdain, for there are other issues not related to this topic, but less than I do.

But silence is not the tact McNair chose to take. And in all truthfulness he could not maintain silence and maintain economic viability in his chosen business - how could he and his site devoted singularly and solely to everything to do with Alabama football be mute on the Young and NCAA issue? Instead he chose to aggressively assault and impune the judgment and integrity of numerous people tasked to clean up the very mess he and his friends created by their acts of both commission and omission. All the while McNair avoid any retelling of what he knew about the people at the very center of the whirlwind - people who also provided McNair with financial backing and a ready pipeline to inside information of Alabama sports, football specifically. The latter the very essence of his business enterprise and personal income.

As to the Hurt example. The journalistic ethic that he broke was not reporting on the story, but in not fully disclosing the very real conflict of interest he had with a principal party to the ordeal. Hurt was under no obligation to cover the story, but once he chose to do so he should have at the least disclosed this conflict to his employer - and they to the readers. Hurt's conflict did not arise at the time Keller co-signed the note in my opinion (although I have read where a journalism professor argues it did), but at the time Keller became a key-player in the story and Hurt continued to withhold information about their relationship.

Think for a moment if Hurt were a policeman who had a 'friend' co-sign a loan for him. There is nothing at all wrong with that. But the ethics of the situation change if that 'friend' becomes involved in a crime and Hurt the detective assigned to investigate and report to the DA the actions of that friend. Now, the analogy is not perfect (there is a difference between a policeman and a journalist), but the principles are similar.

I'm curious. While I didn't have a direct link to any of the things that happened in and around the program but I've chosen not to post them or write about them on public forums or publications am I to assume I've breached this code of ethics in which you speak of?
It would depend if you attempt to portray yourself as a journalist or merely a partisan blogger.

To my knowledge, you do not present yourself to the public as a professional journalist, so I would give you a personal exemption to my wrath.

But if you do attempt to paint yourself as a journalist and who markets himself and his writings as the product of accurate and complete information and who choses to assault people to whom you are not beholden while at the same time withhold accurate and critical information about those to whom your are beholden (professionally or personally) which others can use to form a complete and accurate understanding then, yes, you would be just as unethical.

Bo7 said:
Maybe you need a lesson in Journalism 101, since you don't seem to understand the difference in a New York Times owned newspaper and a promotional magazine. We you educate yourself on the basics of the industry, get back to me.

In the meantime, thanks for demonstrating your personal problem with Kirk. The people Kirk bashed are well known and, imo, deserved every negative comment sent their way. The were absolutely incompetent.

Ah, but the fact is Kirk holds himself out to be more than a shrill and tout. He uses his status as a true 'journalist' to secure media credentials and access that is not afforded to true touts and shrills.

So the foundation to your very argument is void of any truth.

Better my eyes be brown than the end of your nose. At least one is a gift of nature and not the result of kissing another's butt.

But you even miss the target there, as my eyes are a beautiful blue.

Swamptick said:
Bo7 said:
Swamptick said:
Cecil Hurt still owes my family some money from a bike he bought from us on "credit" at a bicycle store my family owned and ran in Tuscaloosa for 26 years. He never was good to his word. That says something about his honesty and integrity to me. We had plenty of customers that bought LOTS of things from us on the same credit and made good on it. He never did.

That said I have nothing against the guy (other than that he owes us about 500 bucks). His writting style is ok. I have met him several times. He does not really seem like a very happy person for what it is worth. I could be wrong.

The Cyclepath?

Yes. The Cycle Path.

The cyclepath was a great retailer in Tuscaloosa. I miss that place each and every time I'm down on Univ. Blvd. I bought several bikes there, from Cannondale to Trek. Lots of other stuff as well. Still have a pair of Patagonia fleece gloves I bought 12 years ago.

Thanks for the memories.

alagator said:
Bo7 said:

Ah, but the fact is Kirk holds himself out to be more than a shrill and tout. He uses his status as a true 'journalist' to secure media credentials and access that is not afforded to true touts and shrills.

So the foundation to your very argument is void of any truth.

Better my eyes be brown than the end of your nose. At least one is a gift of nature and not the result of kissing another's butt.

But you even miss the target there, as my eyes are a beautiful blue.

I haven't kissed anyone's butt. I've defended a friend against an ignorant moron who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. When you defame a man, know wtf you're talking about or be prepared to be called on your bull sh*t.

BAMA Magazine is a publication created and marketed to support Alabama football. It is not, nor has it ever held itself out to be, a news journal. I would like to believe you're intelligent enough to understand the difference, but you have convinced me that you aren't.

I don't want to marginalize anyone's feelings here, especially when they are held as dear as they apparently are...but, we seem to be bashing each other here a lot, in an open forum, at a time when we really should have an outward showing of "oneness" to the world.

We are all here because we have a common love, Alabama Crimson Tide Athletics. Lets try to find a way to come together and be stronger within during this trying time when we are being assailed constantly from without.

Cheers,
SR

Bo7 said:
I haven't kissed anyone's butt. I've defended a friend against an ignorant moron who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. When you defame a man, know wtf you're talking about or be prepared to be called on your bull sh*t.

BAMA Magazine is a publication created and marketed to support Alabama football. It is not, nor has it ever held itself out to be, a news journal. I would like to believe you're intelligent enough to understand the difference, but you have convinced me that you aren't.
Your nose is so deep up McNair's rear you somehow have failed to see where I have in THREE different posts told you exactly where McNair is a journalistic hack. If you would concentrate on the factual situation I have presented to you instead of constantly tying to give nothing but your opinion that I am full of 'chit' with NOTHING to back up your belief then perhaps this 'conversation' might go somewhere.

Your loyalty to your friend is admirably. But that does nothing to refute or rebuke the fact that McNair has openly demonstrated a complete lack of journalistic ethics.

And you must not know McNair, or about his chosen enterprise, as well as you claim if you believe he does hold himself out as a true journalist in an effort to secure access to areas and events as a member of the working press.

If McNair wants to use the fact his publication and business is nothing more that a tout and shill for UA football as some defense for his unprofessional conduct, then he should not also try to pretend to be a 'real journalist' when he sees some benefit to that fraud.

I have tried to keep this on an impersonal level and deal with the topic and not the poster. If you want to continue to insult me while at the same time avoid the actual details in the discussion then you can go play with and by yourself. It would be more productive, not to mention interesting, if you had something to say about the facts and details instead of hurling juvenile and petty insults. You really don't want to go there, because if you have thus far thrown your 'A-material,' then you will lose that battle too.

Back
Top Bottom