| FTBL Bowl question for the old-timers in here

I remember those years well. It was quite frustrating. i was at UA during the last 3 of those years and we had really good teams each of them but also played really good teams in the bowl games. Two of the losses were to Norte Dame and one was to Texas and the two with Norte Dame were with the Natty on the line. The first four of the losses were during a period when Coach Bryant seemed to slip a little bit and was also trying to convince the “powers that be” to let him recruit great black athletes. Once he broke that barrier he pulled it together in 1971 when he made the change to the wishbone and began a new dominant period in the seventies. I think the last three losses were partly due to them still trying to find ways to tweak the bone when teams loaded up and sold out to stop the run.

A bowl question for the old-timers in here. I was looking at past Bama seasons and I noticed from 1967-1974, Alabama went 0-7-1 in bowl games under the great Bear Bryant. Anyone ever come up with a plausible explanation for that?
Read the following. All of it. Then picture in your mind Coach Bryant having to bury this person 18 days before that second straight Bowl loss. Then think how many years on December 10th would he begin to think about this person and lose focus on football. I'm thinking about seven years.

Last edited:
Yes and I watch as: Texas A&M, Colorado, Missouri, Texas, ND twice, Nebraska, tie Oklahoma. Coach Stallings was the coach at Texas A&M. Coach Bryant talk the team into two of the bowl games. Read what @252BAMA left a link to. Pat was one of the best on his team.

A bowl question for the old-timers in here. I was looking at past Bama seasons and I noticed from 1967-1974, Alabama went 0-7-1 in bowl games under the great Bear Bryant. Anyone ever come up with a plausible explanation for that?
I agree with both responses, but I'll add an additional perspective. Coach Bryant won 8 or fewer games at Alabama eight times - his first three years, his last year, and the four year stretch from 1967-70. It was his weakest set of teams, struggling to find an offensive identity and recruit well, and I don't think recruiting really flipped until 1973's team. Two great seasons followed after our wishbone transition, yet we lost both bowl games those years as well. I think those years' regular season successes were, in part, due to a "gadget bump" from the new system and SEC teams' unfamiliarity with it. Fun N' Gun, HUNH, RPO - they all have their day and then defenses adjust. Those two years (1970 and 1971), in Nebraska and Texas we played two bowl teams very accustomed to seeing the wishbone. If we'd played teams from either coast or the north we might not be talking about the streak. 1973 was a NC game that we lost by a point, tough loss but we were in it, and Coach Bryant had us back.

Since we're talking old coaches, I'll throw in an aubrun story. I was down there yesterday for a speaking engagement, and at the end of their conference Ralph Jordan, Jr. is the human interest speaker, telling tales of his Dad. Seems a fan brought Ralph an old thank you letter from Shug from 1957, wanted to give it to him. Ralph looked at it and said, "yep, that's my Dad's handwriting, but I can't tell if he wrote it left- or right-handed." The fan said, "Shug was ambidextrous?". Ralph said no, but on his first day of Catholic school the nun took a ruler to his left hand for holding a pencil in it, telling him we don't write with our left hand in this school. Shug wrote right-handed during the day, and left handed at night, such that you couldn't tell which hand he'd written it with. On top of that, if he was writing an identical thank you note, he could write the same message with each hand simultaneously. I thought that was a pretty neat story. That, and when Georgia used to play them in Columbus, Wally Butts would come back to their house, and they would dump tow sacks of dollar bills on the kitchen table, count it, and split it. Head coaches counting the gate...how times have changed.

RTR,

Tim

I feel like having a bowl slump can be attributed to a "shit happens" type of scenario. The great Tom Osborne didn't win a bowl game from the late 80s up until 1994. I think the biggest reason for that slump was that Dr. Tom had the misfortune of playing damn good teams during that period... Miami and FSU being the primary culprits.

Was tough times for bama....
67-68-69-70 AnM ...missouri....Oklahoma....Bama pretty mediocre...and lost/tie to 4 other mediocre teams.... I think thats all it was....

71....got beat by one of cf great teams....that nebraska team was pretty awesome...
Had gone through the sec with wishbone...and sec teams couldnt figure how to stop it

72...bad luck...punt-bama-punt to finish season...texas in bowl in texas....rest i previously erred on...thanks @PurlJam

73-....one of great games vs ND...right to end....was in NO for game..
74....vs ND ....crap Todd pass as bama driving...for winning TD...int

75...finally....a bowl win...vs penn state....roll tide...bama accused of ducking big 8 teams and playing psu

As. An old brain remembers things

Last edited:
The other teams scored more points.

There’s nothing that applies year-to-year, team-to-team. You’re not building a car. Each year you have different players, different weather, different schedules, different opponents and a whole lot more differences. Assuming there was “something” that caused a different outcome when all the inputs are different will have you chasing your tail.

There’s nothing that applies year-to-year, team-to-team.
In 2024, trying to put bowl losses in perspective in games that happened half of a century ago.

Remember folks.

Bowl games did not affect the national title until 1974. The years listed in the OP covered years before the bowl games had any bearing on a title.

The question and the time period laid out, without context?

In 2024, trying to put bowl losses in perspective in games that happened half of a century ago.

Remember folks.

Bowl games did not affect the national title until 1974. The years listed in the OP covered years before the bowl games had any bearing on a title.

The question and the time period laid out, without context?
Final poll results after or before the Bowls from 1965 to 1973 depended on whether Bama lost or won their Bowl. You are correct in that the UPI Poll did not use the Bowl results until 1974. But that was because they awarded their trophy to Bama in 1973 and Bama then lost to ND.

The AP began waiting on Bowl results for the first time in 1965 because they had awarded their trophy to Bama in 1964 and then Bama lost to Texas. They went back to having the final poll before the Bowls in 1966 because in 1965 they wound up having to award their trophy to Bama again when #'s 1 and 2 lost their Bowl games and #4 Bama beat #3 Nebraska. The final AP Poll has been awarded after the Bowls since 1968 most likely because Bama was not in the mix for #1 in 1967.

Last edited:
Was tough times for bama....
67-68-69-70 AnM ...missouri....Oklahoma....Bama pretty mediocre...and lost/tie to 4 other mediocre teams.... I think thats all it was....

71....got beat by one of cf great teams....that nebraska team was pretty awesome...
Had gone through the sec with wishbone...and sec teams couldnt figure how to stop it

72...bad luck...punt-bama-punt to finish season...texas in bowl in texas...really crap officiating....had a chance at end and joey jones trip returning KO...or would have gone all way for td...just breaking thru with great blocking...turf monster

73-....one of great games vs ND...right to end....was in NO for game..
74....vs ND ....crap Todd pass as bama driving...for winning TD...int

75...finally....a bowl win...vs penn state....roll tide...bama accused of ducking big 8 teams and playing psu

As. An old brain remembers things
Hell, Don't lay it all on Joey, he was only 10 years old in '72. :p

I was really young and just started understanding football in those late 60's games but as I have read/recall, Bryant had some lean years after the very successful teams in the early 60's. Those losses are likely just because they were not good enough. Then you hit Texas and ND. Two programs that historically Bama struggled with. Those ND losses, I was old enought to remember. Those ND losses are why the 2012 was one of the most special championshop CNS brought to Tuscaloosa at least for me.

Warning shot fired first game of 1967. UA gave up 37 points to FSU, after giving up 37 total points in 11 games in 1966. Young people were in the cross hairs of social change, “if it feels good, do it”. Drugs, sex, rock n roll, Vietnam war, segregation Times were changing. Maybe Coach Bryant was not willing to change with them immediately. But UA was first team to win 100+ games in a decade in 70’s. There will always be trying times for any fan base and the 0-7-1 bowl record was certainly one not easily forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom