| FOOD Best Middle of Nowhere Restaurants

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Staff
As a kid and youth, we used to make the long trek from Westover up to Walker County to try tackling a steak at Bugtussle Steak House. People would come far and wide to eat there. Either the original owner, or a successor, was alleged to have rustled some of their inventory, if I remember correctly.

I started thinking about places you drive to eat that's just out by themselves. Recently, I found a place west of Ranburne, south of Heflin named Lost Creek Mercantile and Provisions. The hours are limited, typically Thur-Sat (maybe Sunday), check their Facebook page for the weekly menu and food pics. The food is outstanding, family run, can't recommend it highly enough.

Where is your middle of nowhere restaurant?

If you think about it, it's weird.

I won't eat a thing from the 7-11 (I think they call it "The Roost") or the Circle K. Not a chance in hell. Nothing from a truck stop, or anything in that genre.

But, I'll walk into a convenience store that's 50 years old, floors that look like they've carried a million footsteps, and look at their food and say, "Yeah, that looks good." And it normally is.

Oskar's Cafe in Dadeville, AL

Oskar's was the first one that came to my mind... surprised it got mentioned. Everything I've ever had from them was good. Everything.

Couple of others... Triple R Cafe in Rockford... Big Mike's in Moundville... Pirates Cove in Elberta (worth the boat ride, anyway)... lots of BBQ places...

As a kid and youth, we used to make the long trek from Westover up to Walker County to try tackling a steak at Bugtussle Steak House. People would come far and wide to eat there. Either the original owner, or a successor, was alleged to have rustled some of their inventory, if I remember correctly.

I remember Bugtussle well... the sign is still up, taunting all who drive by. If the cattle rustling story isn't true then too bad for the old owner, because that is the story that I think most everyone believes...

There's a place just up the street I've had my eye on for the last two or so years. It used to be an ice cream place...no parking, no dining indoors.

Even with Cook-Out, Sonic, and others in the area...I KNOW a good burger joint would work there. Sort of on the Whataburger concept.
Got one of those back home (Frosty Mug in Cordova, AL. off old Highway 78). Spot on saying you know it would work there. This one's been there as long as I can remember and it's one of the best.
1722373022830.png 1722373058097.png

Got one of those back home (Frosty Mug in Cordova, AL. off old Highway 78). Spot on saying you know it would work there. This one's been there as long as I can remember and it's one of the best.
View attachment 28372 View attachment 28373
When I was living in Memphis, there was a place on Winchester that couldn't have been more than 12'x12'. That's probably an overestimate. No tables, nothing but a guy making burgers. The old guy only worked about four hours a day...opened around 11, closed around 2, maybe 3ish depending on the traffic.

But good god almighty...those cheeseburgers were to die for. This was in the late 80's...dude was charging six or seven bucks for a meal. BUT, it was a ground sirloin burger.

That French fries thread I started...he used some type of popcorn seasoning on his fries. I still don't know what it was.

Back
Top Bottom