| FTBL Bama receiver suspended for 2 games

Argo

Al.com

University of Alabama receiver Brandon Gibson suspended two games due to inadvertent NCAA violation

TUSCALOOSA -- Redshirt freshman receiver Brandon Gibson of Mobile won't be available to play in Alabama's first two games as a result of an inadvertent secondary NCAA rules violation.

The university's compliance department discovered that Gibson, who signed with the Crimson Tide out of UMS-Wright in 2007, unknowingly committed a violation while still in high school by accepting transportation to an Alabama sporting event from a friend whose father was a UA booster and could be viewed as "a representative of the institution's athletic interest."

UA officials self-reported Gibson's trip last year to the NCAA.

"Our recommendation for a two-game suspension was approved by the NCAA," UA associate athletics director for compliance Mike Ward said in a statement to the Press-Register. "The student-athlete and his friend have been friends since the ninth grade and, despite having a pre-existing relationship, unintentionally committed this infraction."

Technically, the incident violated NCAA rules because Gibson's pre-existing relationship with the friend did not exist before his ninth-grade year.

University officials did not impose Gibson's penalty last season, since it would have burned his redshirt year. Gibson is eligible to play Sept. 13 against Western Kentucky after missing opening dates against Clemson and Tulane.

He was listed fourth on the depth chart at the primary "X" receiver position behind freshman Julio Jones, sophomore Earl Alexander and freshman Chris Jackson.

"If he keeps working like he has," Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said last week, "I would think he'll make a contribution some time during the season."

This seems very lame. It's also the first I've heard about it.

I guess when you're still under the magnifying glass, you have to report every little thing. It's better to have this happen then to take larger ramifications from the jokers on top. My God...what a joke. :roll:

Change the thread name!!!!

Haha, my heart sank when I read the thread name, and aI am glad he was suspended due to a technicality rather than a serious violation of NCAA rules or the law.

Normally I wouldve said this wasnt a big deal, and it couldve been ignored. Though, I am glad Alabama did report it, because after those sanctions I dont want UA to take anymore chances.

joeman546 said:
Change the thread name!!!!

Haha, my heart sank when I read the thread name, and aI am glad he was suspended due to a technicality rather than a serious violation of NCAA rules or the law.

Normally I wouldve said this wasnt a big deal, and it couldve been ignored. Though, I am glad Alabama did report it, because after those sanctions I dont want UA to take anymore chances.

I almost named the thread, "Bama freshman receiver suspended". :shock:

It's unbelievable crap like this that makes me wonder why the NCAA even has credibility in terms of punishment to institutions over recruiting. The rule literally states that, if Gibson had been friends with the guy the last day of his eighth grade year, it would not have been an infraction. Unfreakinbelievable. How do you go about proving that he did not have a pre-existing relationship before 9th grade? What if he had committed to Auburn? Would it have been an infraction then? Who'd a thunk catching a ride to a Bama game in the 9th grade would cost you the first two games of your collegiate football career? I am embarrassed for the NCAA. :roll:

BamaFan19 said:
IMO if Gibson said he had no knowledge, then it should've been left alone. I guess a persons word just isn't good enough anymore. :roll:

In today's day and age, i don't think we have that luxury :?

Kc said:
LOL a ride to a game from a former Grad and booster....

WOW...

Weigh this with a booster and former grad handing a recruit a book covering Alabama history 3 years ago. Another NCAA violation, and that one was secondary as well.

While I can't fault Brandon on this...his HS coach should have known better and the UA Grad/booster should have thought twice as well. Chris King was said to be ultra-careful...another example of that.

Ray Perkins used to rant about NCAA rules. Underthe rules that existed in his time at Bama he couldn't even go to watch his son's games in HS if they were in a no conatct period. He went anyway, self reported and nothing ever happened.

When one of his players died in an off season boating accident he willfully violated NCAA rules by chartering two buses and taking the team to the funeral. (Benefits not available to non athletes.) He again self reported and nothing was done.

Different times now though.

This is just another case in a long line of cases where the NCAA tries to flex its muscle.
They will stop weird things like this, but allow other things to go unattended because of the university or who is in charge.
It is ridiculous IMO. :evil: :?

This seems to be straining at knats, HOWEVER, there is something REAL POSITIVE TO GET FROM THIS...

I've been cautiously optimistic about the success of our recruiting program since CNS has arrived. Let me severlystress that he has NEVER given me any reason for concern but only that my experience w/ very good recruiting in the past always had some violation to follow (you know the whole Pavlovs dogs conditioned response thing...)

Anyway, this arcticle gives me a strong sense of comfort knowing the UA athletic department is doing a fantastic job of "internal control". So if there is any positive to capture, it is that we are reporting the chinciest violations & scarying the crap out of those who might even think about breaking the rules. :?

Back
Top Bottom