| NEWS Avenatti motion alleges Nike was willing to pay Zion Williamson, other college stars

RTB X Bot

In a motion filed in federal court tonight, Michael Avenatti alleges text and emails by Nike executives prove widespread under the table payments to high school athletes to play in Nike's EYBL, acts that mirror what Adidas executives were found guilty of committing.

Among the allegations are a discussed plan for Nike to pay Zion Williamson at least $35,000 and Romeo Langford $20,000 while they were still in high school. There is nothing that suggests the deals were made or even presented to the players.

Another allegation is that EYBL Director Carlton DeBose told another Nike exec that he was "willing to bet that 38 of 40 teams in the EYBL had to pay a moderate to considerable ransom for families just to play in the EYBL.”

Story coming from Yahoo Sports. No surprise elite high school players are being paid by a shoe company, but again raises the question why only Adidas executives (and mostly Adidas schools) were caught up in the federal trials. Also continues to show "amateurism" is mostly dead

As a whistleblower, he seems to be pretty good at what he does. It's more than obvious that Addidas wasn't bidding against itself. NCAA is looking at its potential waterloo moment with this latest scandal being as prevalent as it's proving to be is in college sports. The scope of it alone would make the greatest of prosecutors think hard about opening these can of worms.

I always believed that MLB wanted no part of Jose Canseco's confessions. Even though he had his facts galore and he was confessing as a user. As the baseball promo was declaring at the same time, "chicks dig the long ball." So did MLB and they had a no drug test policy for a long time for a purpose.

The NCAA has got their hands full with these lastest confessions.

i guess i don't understand any of this...but why is it bad to pay a high school player? and how is the ncaa involved? the ncaa covers collegiate affairs (hence, the "c" in the acronym), not high school.

i guess i don't understand any of this...but why is it bad to pay a high school player? and how is the ncaa involved? the ncaa covers collegiate affairs (hence, the "c" in the acronym), not high school.

Paying a high school player eliminates the amateur classification. You must be an amateur to participate in college athletics. The exception is being a professional in one sport but maintaining amateur status in another.

Pretty much what OldPlayer said. Theae extra little auctions for behind the scenes deals with the football team and other athletics, they will not let you be in high school and an athlete due to potential amateur rules to where the school could be seen as giving you extra benefits and using it as a ploy to get more one on one VIP time with you, and it would cancel your amateur status as said. NCAA is directly involved with any high school athlete, even if you aren't a four or five star.

As a whistleblower, he seems to be pretty good at what he does. It's more than obvious that Addidas wasn't bidding against itself. NCAA is looking at its potential waterloo moment with this latest scandal being as prevalent as it's proving to be is in college sports. The scope of it alone would make the greatest of prosecutors think hard about opening these can of worms.

I always believed that MLB wanted no part of Jose Canseco's confessions. Even though he had his facts galore and he was confessing as a user. As the baseball promo was declaring at the same time, "chicks dig the long ball." So did MLB and they had a no drug test policy for a long time for a purpose.

The NCAA has got their hands full with these lastest confessions.

This guy is a total greaseball, but I honestly believe every word he has promised in regards to Nike. We all know these companies have their claws into amateur athletes and a lot of backdoor deals are made. He is the NCAA's best friend and Nike's worst nightmare. I think he has zero moral compass, but I also think companies like Nike do too, so I have zero issue with him bringing them down here.

Paying a high school player eliminates the amateur classification. You must be an amateur to participate in college athletics. The exception is being a professional in one sport but maintaining amateur status in another.

ah, ok

weird rule, imo. I agree that if you play professional baseball, football, etc. (mlb, nfl, etc.), then yeah, you're not an amateur. but if you get paid just play in something like nike is putting on, then I don't agree with their stance on that.

ah, ok

weird rule, imo. I agree that if you play professional baseball, football, etc. (mlb, nfl, etc.), then yeah, you're not an amateur. but if you get paid just play in something like nike is putting on, then I don't agree with their stance on that.

A good example is Kyler Murray at Oklahoma. He was drafted by the Oakland A's prior to his season season in football. The A's gave him a signing bonus. Therefore he couldn't play college baseball in his senior year. But since his football amateurism wasn't impacted he could still play football.

Back
Top Bottom