| MBB/WBB Auburn's Danjel Purifoy could potentially be involved in another possible NCAA violation.

18Champs

After being ineligible for more than a full season earlier in his Auburn basketball career, forward Danjel Purifoy could potentially be involved in another possible NCAA violation.

Purifoy’s mother, Waukesha Blevins, had posted on Facebook multiple times about selling T-shirts with Purifoy’s image. In the images, he’s wearing an Auburn jersey. Purifoy’s previous suspension was also related to Blevins allegedly accepting money against NCAA bylaws.

“This is the picture that's going to be on the shirts with (Home Town Hero) on the back so if you would like to place an order please do so at this time,” Blevins’ initial post read on May 16. “Thanks in advance … All orders and money due May 22nd … $12 adults … $10 youth.”

There were several follow-up posts relating to the T-shirts, including one on May 17, May 20, May 21, and two more on May 22. All of the posts refer to collecting T-shirt money. Purifoy is tagged in several of the posts, and several of the posts contain comments from people wishing to make purchases.

College athletes and their families are not allowed to profit off of the likeness of an athlete.

NCAA Bylaw 12.1.1(h) states that “any commercial items with names, likenesses or pictures of multiple student-athletes ... may be sold only at the member institution at which the student-athlete is enrolled, institutionally controlled ... outlets or outlets controlled by the charitable or educational organization. ... Items that include an individual student-athlete's name, picture or likeness ... other than informational items (e.g., media guide, schedule cards, institutional publications), may not be sold.”

Per, NCAA Bylaw 12.2.2, “In the event that a third party (such as a store) were to sell an image with a student-athlete, that student-athlete “is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics.” Though, that is not the case presented here, it speaks to the stringent nature of the NCAA’s rules on this issue.

Blevins did not respond to an interview request from AL.com, and the Facebook posts were removed following the interview request. It is unclear how much money she made, if any, or how many T-shirts she sold. Several people commented on her post asking for shirts, and she typically responded with “got you down,” or by asking for sizes.

Waukesha Blevins' Facebook post from May 20, requesting money for a T-shirt with her son, Danjel Purifoy's likeness. The post has since been deleted. (Facebook)
Waukesha Blevins' Facebook post from May 20, requesting money for a T-shirt with her son, Danjel Purifoy's likeness. The post has since been deleted. (Facebook)
The NCAA has yet to respond to an AL.com inquiry made on Saturday.

An Auburn athletics spokesman said they’ve reached out to the administration, as they look into the matter. They did not respond to specific requests for comment from Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl or from Purifoy.

This is not the first time that Purifoy or Blevins have been involved in an issue relating to the NCAA or Purifoy’s eligibility.

Purifoy:
... was forced to sit out after NCAA Clearinghouse and ACT Testing Center flagged his ACT test/Score (allegedly someone took his test.)
... was suspended caught up in the Person/NCAA/FBI investigations.
... and now this.

Wait a minute....a MOTHER ...the MOTHER mine you...can't sell tshirts with HER SONS PICTURE .....omg... even with or without the college logo? I didn’t know that it restricted the MOTHER....i guess you do give up your maternal rights .....to your child...
Will we finally hear that a girl friend cant sell footballs with her boyfriends signature..... there goes dinner n movie money

Last edited:
Wait a minute....a MOTHER ...the MOTHER mine you...can't sell tshirts with HER SONS PICTURE .....omg... even with or without the college logo? I didn’t know that it restricted the MOTHER....i guess you do give up your maternal rights .....to your child...
Will we finally hear that a girl friend cant sell footballs with her boyfriends signature..... there goes dinner n movie money

It's a slippery slope. What if he gives her his jersey as a "gift" and she runs off and sells it for $2,000? Personally see this happen before. These parents are the slimy ones that accept that money and sell their kids.

It's a slippery slope. What if he gives her his jersey as a "gift" and she runs off and sells it for $2,000? Personally see this happen before. These parents are the slimy ones that accept that money and sell their kids.
What do you suppose would possess his mom to start trying to make money off his images NOW?

Everyone in her position knows it's against the rules. They've been taught this since day one. Why does she feel she can get away with it now? Because her kid has been getting paid?

What do you suppose would possess his mom to start trying to make money off his images NOW?

Everyone in her position knows it's against the rules. They've been taught this since day one. Why does she feel she can get away with it now? Because her kid has been getting paid?

It's pure selfishness and being money hungry in my mind. We hear about these kind of people every year that take advantage of their own kids when they sign for millions.

i still think that rule is a dumb-ass rule.

my likeness is MINE! it doesn't belong to anyone else...the school...the ncaa...another institution...NO ONE! i don't care if i'm playing for a school, or not. if they're making money using my likeness on a video board, then why am i not allowed to do the same thing with MY LIKENESS?!

it's just asinine. that rule needs to be done away with.

I agree these guys likeness is there likeness, but they signed a contract.. it has nothing to do with right and wrong. Plus dude is wearing an auburn shirt... so she’s not just selling his likeness.....

Back
Top Bottom