| FTBL Arkansas State Player Plays Dead On Weird Fake Punt

PhillyGirl

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-football/arkansas-state-player-plays-dead-on-weird-fake-punt-video/

YZOHEAZFWWHHUAC.20110921215629-628x320.jpg

The Arkansas State Red Wolves aren’t exactly known for being a great football team. They’re an abysmal 1-2 to start off the season and they play in the Sun Belt Conference, which includes schools like Troy, University of Louisiana at Monroe, and Appalachian State.

So it’s pretty good for the Red Wolves that they’re trying out acting exercises or trust falls or puppy tricks or something super weird on the field, because it’s certainly going to get them some notice.

I’ve looped the following Vine at least a couple hundred times trying to figure out what this special teams player was trying to accomplish, but I’ve drawn a big fat blank. See for yourself:

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In case the terribly executed fake punt interception is fooling you, look at the player lined up on the right hash mark who crosses his arms across his chest and stiffens up like dead weight as he falls to the turf.

I’m confused. You’re confused. We’re all confused. This is one of the weirdest football moments I’ve ever seen. Help me understand.

I’ve looped the following Vine at least a couple hundred times trying to figure out what this special teams player was trying to accomplish, but I’ve drawn a big fat blank.

Yeah, 2nd that...

What has his coach said about it? Wait! Is Trooper the Arky St. special teams coach? Maybe it's a money thing.

Chase Goodbread with some intel...the Fainting Goat

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nsas-state-player-fakes-collapse-on-fake-punt

First, it was designed, not improvised. Arkansas State coach Blake Anderson said the Red Wolves practiced the play all week, and Mays got more and more convincing with his collapse as the week went on. Second, it was not only designed, but inspired. Anderson was on the North Carolina staff last year when the team decided to pull a prank on quarterback Bryn Renner. That prank, known as the "Fainting Goat," in which all 22 players except Renner collapsed immediately after a snap during practice, hascommanded more than a million hits on youtube.com. So here is the story of Saturday's adaptation:

"Because of the formation we were in for that fake punt, Booker was covered up and couldn't go downfield, or it would be a penalty," Anderson told College Football 24/7. "So we said, 'What do we want to do with him? Do we want to bubble him or peel him out?' Someone said let's just let him be a fainting goat. I loved it, so we just put that in. His job on that play was basically to not get a penalty by going downfield, because the fake was on the backside of the play. These kids have had five head coaches in five years, so we try to let them have fun."

Masterful as the performance was, it didn't appear to confuse the 'Canes -- or even one Hurricane. UM intercepted a pass on the play, and a look at the latter part of the play shows that Miami linebacker Thurston Armbrister took no pity on his fallen opponent.

Back
Top Bottom