| FTBL Arenas and Maze, dual threat on kickoff and punt returns?

srollins

Verified Member
I don't know who all may have seen Marquis Maze returning kicks, but he's almost like Prothro with his quickness and ability to make cuts and evade tackles. He really showed out during A-Day last year.

We all know that Arenas has what it takes to carry the mail too.

So, does anyone else out there like the idea of having the two of them in kick return formation as a dual threat? If so, where does the other team kick the ball, O.O.B?

thoughts?

If teams kick away from Arenas on punts, then Saban might add Maze (or someone else) back there to get something going. On kick returns, I think it will be Arenas (a lock) and probably Maze, but others will certainly get a look there as well. Special teams play should be a positive for us next season, especially if we can get some consistent punting.

srollins said:
I really like the idea of having two guys back to field kicks that have the ability to take it to the house.

I do too, srollins!

There is probably a couple of others that are new to the team that could help out if needed. (Burton Scott comes to mind).

I agree with you, Bran. Special teams very well could be special this year with good punting. I think that punter may have enrolled in January!

In this day of the spread offense, advantage comes from having play makers with the ball in "in space".

Having maze out there puts a dynamic play-maker on the field. Having both on the field guarantees that at least one of them will be one the filed without the ball.

My questions is whether we are better off have the two of them out there half employed or would it be better to add another blocker? Increase odds of the ball in the hands of a play-maker FS. increase the odds of having more open space for a play-maker to "create" within.

Any thoughts?

LBS said:
In this day of the spread offense, advantage comes from having play makers with the ball in "in space".

Having maze out there puts a dynamic play-maker on the field. Having both on the field guarantees that at least one of them will be one the filed without the ball.

My questions is whether we are better off have the two of them out there half employed or would it be better to add another blocker? Increase odds of the ball in the hands of a play-maker FS. increase the odds of having more open space for a play-maker to "create" within.

Any thoughts?

good point, and with both on the field, you risk the one without the ball getting hurt unnecessarily. Ouch.

With another blocker (Jimmy Johns comes to mind) you increase your chances of your playmaker getting into "space".

LBS said:

Any thoughts?

Depends on how good a teacher the new ST coach is. During the Shula days, they put two on each gunner and the gunner beat the ball to the return guy the majority of the time. 2 blockers are great, if they can block.

shipley00 said:
LBS said:

Any thoughts?

Depends on how good a teacher the new ST coach is. During the Shula days, they put two on each gunner and the gunner beat the ball to the return guy the majority of the time. 2 blockers are great, if they can block.

I think you may have missed the point of his premise here. It doesn't deal with those lined up opposite the gunners. It's about whether Arenas AND Maze wouldn't work well as a tandem.

My thought is it'll work great! Arenas is a CB, fast and he hits people. Maze has spent time in the offensive backfield. They both can block.

There is a saying that "you can't teach speed" (debatable), you can teach blocking.

Back
Top Bottom