| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC Alien : Covenant (2017)

Hardkore

Crimson Freak
Alien: Covenant (2017) - IMDb

Ridley Scott: 'Alien: Covenant' Is First of 3 Films Before Linking Up With Original 'Alien'

The director revealed details of the 'Alien' origin stories as he begins pre-production on the followup to 'Prometheus' in Australia.
Ridley Scott confirmed that he is planning another two Prometheus sequels to follow Alien: Covenant before the Prometheus storyline meets up with the original 1979 Alien.

Alien: Covenant and the following two films will be origin stories, answering the “very basic questions posed in Alien: why the alien, who might have made it and where did it come from?” Scott revealed at a press conference in Sydney where he is starting pre-production on Covenant, the first sequel to Prometheus.

“It's a very complex story. It's an evolution of what I first did with Prometheus 1,” he said of the new film, which tells the story of the crew of the colony ship Covenant, who discover what they think is an uncharted paradise but is actually a dark, dangerous world whose sole inhabitant is the synthetic David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

Prometheus 1 was born out of my frustration that on Alien 1 in 1979 — I only did one as I don't normally do sequels. I was amazed that in the three that followed that no one asked the question: "Why the Alien, who made it and why?" Very basic questions. So I came up with the notion of Prometheus 1, which starts to indicate who might have made it and where it came from,” Scott said.

"So I’m now going to the next one, which is the next evolution directly connected with the first one, which was this Shaw, when he replaced Michael Fassbender in two pieces and we’ll kind of pick it up there and it will evolve. When that’s finished there’ll be another one and then another one, which will gradually drive into the back entrance of the film in 1979,” the British director revealed.

“So in other words, why was this space jockey there and why did he have an Alien inside him? And those questions will be answered,” he added.

This is when the events of Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant will take place | Blastr

We now know when Alien: Covenant will take place, and it puts the movie one step closer to the events of Ridley Scott’s Alien.

Costume designer Janty Yates was busy making the rounds promoting the Blu-ray/DVD release of director Ridley Scott’s critically acclaimed sci-fi movie, The Martian, when she sat with Collider and had a chat about Alien: Covenant. This is when the Oscar winner dropped an interesting tidbit.

According to Yates, the Prometheus sequel/Alien prequel is actually set “10 years in the future beyond Prometheus.

As Comicbook.com points out, Prometheus' timeline puts the events of the movie in the last week of 2093, meaning it took place 28 years before the original 1979 sci-fi/horror film starring Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley. With the 10-year time jump, we’ll now be 18 years away from the events of Alien.

Now, let us chew on that for one sec. Could said 10-year time jump be the reason why Noomi Rapace’s Elizabeth Shaw will only have a brief appearance in the new Alien movie? You betcha. But whereas Rapace will only have a small role in the first of 3 new Alien prequels, actor Michael Fassbender will return as the synth David — whom we last saw pretty much body less — as he and Shaw were making a bee-line for the Engineer’s homeworld, flying away in an alien spacecraft.

Here is an official synopsis for Alien: Covenant:

Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world — whose sole inhabitant is the “synthetic” David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

As for new cast members, it was recently announced Katherine Waterston (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) has been cast to star as a lead character named Daniels. Waterston’s character will supposedly be a crew member of the colony ship Covenant, which comes across the mystery planet and David.

Katherine Waterston to Star in Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant

Deadline reports that Katherine Waterston (Inherent Vice) has been cast in Ridley Scott’s upcoming Alien: Covenant in the lead role of Daniels. Waterston previously appeared in Steve Jobs earlier this year and will co-star in the upcoming “Harry Potter” spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in November 2016.

Scott recently said in an interview that all the forms of the classic Xenomorph will appear in the upcoming film, from the iconic egg to the “big boy himself.”

Production on Alien: Covenant is set to begin in February of 2016 in Australia, with Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender set to reprise their roles of scientist Elizabeth Shaw and the android David. Given the film’s synopsis, it remains to be seen how Rapace’s Shaw will factor into the film. Jack Paglen (Transcendence) and Michael Green (Green Lantern) are providing the screenplay.

Alien: Covenant will land in theaters on October 6, 2017.

Back
Top Bottom