| FTBL Alabama QB Paul Tyson to Texas is 'long-shot transfer' option

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Alabama QB Paul Tyson to Texas is 'long-shot transfer' option

With players entering the NCAA transfer portal at rapid rates this offseason following college football's blanket eligibility waiver following the 2020 campaign, many high-profile player could be on the move once more after key position battles are decided during spring practice.

Bleacher Report's Brad Shepard wrote this week that Alabama redshirt sophomore quarterback Paul Tyson, the great grandson of Bear Bryant who signed with the Crimson Tide as a four-star prospect in the 2019 class, could be a transfer candidate if he doesn't win the starting job in competition with 2020 five-star signee Bryce Young.

A potential landing spot for Tyson could be Texas, who replaces multi-year starter Sam Ehlinger at quarterback this fall under first-year coach Steve Sarkisian, the Crimson Tide's award-winning play-caller last season.

"Tyson is a 6-foot-5, 228-pound pro-style quarterback from Trussville, Alabama, who has been waiting his turn, biding his time and developing," Shepard writes. "It's not unlike a Mac Jones situation, and Jones was a Heisman Trophy finalist under offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian this past year in his one season as a starter."

Tyson was just as prolific at the prep level as other recent Alabama signees, leading Hewitt-Trussville (Alabama) led to a 19-5 record over two seasons as the starter and throwing for more than 6,500 yards and 69 touchdowns.

Quarterback trainer Lavelle Durant told BamaOnline last summer there's a lot to like about the tall pocket passer.

“I know Mac Jones is a baller, I know Bryce is a baller, so I’m taking nothing away from those guys. But Paul is just as much of a baller,” Durant recently told BamaOnLine. “There’s not much that the others can do that Paul can’t do. Paul can move — maybe not as well as the 4.4 guys that we see out there — but he can definitely make plays and extend plays with his legs. But there’s not a throw on the field that Paul can’t make.

"That’s one thing that I have absolutely witnessed this past weekend. He can make any throw on time and with conviction. He’s definitely going to be that playmaker on the field once he gets his shot.”

For Sarkisian at Texas, he'll have to choose between Casey Thompson, who performed well in the Longhorns' bowl win, and Hudson Card under center in 2021. Sarkisian isn't as familiar with those two as he is Tyson, but for now, those are his options.

2COMMENTS
"The bloodlines run deep and strong, but this is a player who has a pro future to think about," Shepard writes. "Yes, he has that potential, much like Jones. If he doesn't win the job in Tuscaloosa this spring, perhaps he could head to Austin and start for the Horns in '21."

Back
Top Bottom