| FOOD Alabama BBQ Bucket list (from Bob Carlton)

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Carlton is one of only 2 al.com people I care to read, he does a good job covering the Alabama food scene. Obviously this stuff is subjective, but he hits much more than he misses, IMO. There are some changes I would make, but I haven't eaten at all the places on the list (though I'd like to).

Alabama BBQ Top 50 Bucket List

His past articles linked in the list are also good, though some of the places on the best by county list are now closed down.

I have eaten at more than I thought I would. Every location in the Florence/Shoals area with Dick Howells the least of them. Big Bob Gibson is really good but their white sauce doesn’t WOW me.

That's an area that I need to spend a long weekend at, I'm rarely up that way unless passing through. Several places there I'd like to hit... have had Big Bob Gibson's several times.

On interstate 65 there is the Georgiana exit going to Hank Williams museum is Kendalls Barbeque. It is takeout only but anytime I go that way I get their pulled pork big sandwich. It is hogly

On interstate 65 there is the Georgiana exit going to Hank Williams museum is Kendalls Barbeque. It is takeout only but anytime I go that way I get their pulled pork big sandwich. It is hogly

I have about 2 dozen BBQ places throughout AL saved in google maps that I want to try, Kendall's is one of them. That place in the Shell parking lot on the Greenville exit, Real Pit Bar-B-Q that was really good years ago (not sure if it still is?) Used to stop there a lot when I went that way.

I’m the airport in Nashville a few weeks back. Lady with obvious northern accent said she made sure to visit Whitt’s BBQ before her stay in Nashville ended. To see what the southern BBQ scene was about. Raves about how good it was. Me thinking, that’s terrible chain BBQ. And she thinks that’s special? Geez.

I’m the airport in Nashville a few weeks back. Lady with obvious northern accent said she made sure to visit Whitt’s BBQ before her stay in Nashville ended. To see what the southern BBQ scene was about. Raves about how good it was. Me thinking, that’s terrible chain BBQ. And she thinks that’s special? Geez.

Ha! Sorta reminds me of how folks treat Jim n' Nicks. It's decent to good, and some locations are better than others, but always cracks me up when people claim it's the best around. Like Dreamland and Full Moon, franchising has hurt the overall quality.

Ha! Sorta reminds me of how folks treat Jim n' Nicks. It's decent to good, and some locations are better than others, but always cracks me up when people claim it's the best around. Like Dreamland and Full Moon, franchising has hurt the overall quality.

I'd rather drive to Tuscaloosa to eat at Dreamland before I drive ten minutes to Jim N Nicks. The owner of the Alabaster Jim N Nicks is a Bama alum. The Shelby County Alumni Association used to hold pep rallies there. In those cases, I'd love to go back.

It is almost impossible to find decent BBQ up north. Lived here almost 32 years so I can give a witness.

Back
Top Bottom