| NEWS Alabama AD Greg Byrne gets big raise, extension- AL.com

B

Bama News

For the second time in the past 18 months, the contract of Alabama athletics director Greg Byrne was extended with a raise.

It was a significant raise to $1.3 million in the 2019-20 school year with $40,000 more every year in the contract extended one year through 2026. The salary will be $1.54 million in the final year of the contract as approved Tuesday by the compensation committee of Alabama’s board of trustees.

Byrne's old deal paid him $980,000 this year with the salary to rise to $1.13 million in the final year of 2024-25. That was approved in August 2018.

The contract also calls for deferred compensation directed toward retirement plans starting at $300,000 in the first year and escalating to $450,000 a year in 2026.

The amended deal also forgives the balance of an interest-free $400,000 loan paid to Byrne in the original contract for relocating from Arizona to Tuscaloosa.

When additional university compensation is combined, Byrne’s 2018 total pay of $1.25 million ranked eighth among athletic directors, according to sportsinfo.pro.

Byrne was hired to replace Bill Battle in March 2017 after serving in the same role at Arizona and Mississippi State. The original employment contract paid Byrne $900,000.

Battle, when hired in 2013, was paid $620,000 in his initial contract with the school.

Which ones?

I am looking at the bigger sports, but Baseball has been stagnant, Basketball has been stagnant, Gymnastics has not performed, Golf has dropped off. When Battle was AD I felt we were competing for National Championships in just about every sport. I see Track and Field is increasingly better, but that's the only program I can honestly see that has gotten better, maybe Tennis as well. Wasn't he responsible for Greg Goff, Avery Johnson, and the Dana Duckworth hires? Avery and Dana were decent hires in my mind, but it sure hasn't panned out that way and he has WAY more access than me as a casual observer.

Last edited:

So he's really good at fundraising. I'll be 1000% honest here, I could have come up with the Crimson Standard and sold it to the same people he did with all of the resources he had available. He was given every resource possible, Nick Saban, architects, the budget to shock and awe investors, a black book of big investors, the backing of the university, he was already given the keys to the Ferrari from Moore and Battle. It is not hard to maintain a company like Home Depot or Coca-Cola if you keep everything simple and don't ruin a good thing that was setup by good people before you. You just need to not screw it up. My question was if we are honestly progressing in ALL of our athletics since he came on? I don't care if he freaking Tweets, or tickles the necks of recruits and fans. I don't see it as talent to just ask people for a lot of money to create a luxury only experience. Most likely none of us will experience the accommodations on a regular basis. We might get lucky and get a pass from a friend of a friend, but we aren't staying in the $5M boxes or even the $150,000 ones. All I know is that they increased my tickets to cover the expense of the upper deck seats they were taking out to add to an initiative that I benefit <1% off. I don't live in Tuscaloosa, so it's going to be extremely tough for me to get to Coleman, for me to get to Rhodes, and for me to get to The Joe. I made it to one football game this year, so it's even hard for me to get to Bryant-Denny and enjoy the one aspect outside of my family that I truly love, football. Not his problem, I understand that, but I'm getting to a point here next.

As I told @TerryP , I don't feel our athletic programs are any better off right now. Sure, campus looks like a damn Ponce City Market rather than a college campus, which to me has honestly ruined the look of Tuscaloosa, but I just don't feel the production is there. I'm not saying I don't like Byrne, because I have never met the guy and he appears trying to do his best for the school. I just don't see the extra value is all. If fundraising is the Board's #1 concern, then I guess they have their man. I understand as well that staying on top takes money, but losing character and the people that got you there from the standpoint of all the little people is not what a true leader does. A lot of the smaller people are fed up and quiet frankly I see a lot of Reynolds Plantation (Lake Oconee high end neighborhood here in Georgia) kicking in where Alabama is getting to a point that if you don't agree with them and have an open checkbook then they don't care whether you stay or leave.

We wonder why college athletes seem to be losing their way and want to be paid and all of the other perks, yet here we are looking at an AD and a university backing him that wants the clout of being a higher end university by looking good and taking almost a billion dollars from their investors, boosters, and other resources and putting it into facilities just to say they are on the top end of the arms race. Character is lost, tradition fades, and we are left with a town that is in the area of nowhere now looking like a metropolis, not something I was hoping to see. I am probably getting away from the simple point of, are our teams any better, but this is more of why I questioned it and it led me down a rabbit hole, so I apologize for the rant.

Keeping in mind he's been here for 2 years.
-- Fundraising is a key component to an AD's responsibilities.
-- He's also made two hires that I can recall in his 2 years - Nate Oats & Brad Bohannon. Both appear to be strong hires. There are a few additional changes I'd like to see.

The cost of being a top 10 program is expensive, it's only going to get more expensive.

And you don't maintain companies in this day and age. Business is fierce and maintaining what your predecessors did will cause you to fall behind.

The University is going to continue to grow along with the city. Hell, that's one of the benefits of moving to Montana. I've lived in high growth areas for the last 30 years (San Diego and North Texas)...I'm tired of the madness.

I am looking at the bigger sports, but Baseball has been stagnant, Basketball has been stagnant, Gymnastics has not performed, Golf has dropped off. When Battle was AD I felt we were competing for National Championships in just about every sport. I see Track and Field is increasingly better, but that's the only program I can honestly see that has gotten better, maybe Tennis as well. Wasn't he responsible for Greg Goff, Avery Johnson, and the Dana Duckworth hires? Avery and Dana were decent hires in my mind, but it sure hasn't panned out that way and he has WAY more access than me as a casual observer.
No. He was not responsible for Goff, Johnson, or Duckworth. That's the reason I mentioned your timeline was off.

One of the first moves he made on an administrative side was firing Goff (a Battle hire.) Firing him after only one year at the helm. I'm assming you don't pay a lot of attention to baseball based on what you're saying here. Things are looking better than they have in awhile since he's taken over.

The Avery hire was a Battle hire as well. Johnson being fired and the search that gave Bama Oats was Byrne. I don't believe you can point to anyone and say the program is stagnant because you'd include Moore, Battle, Byrne, Bockrath...if anyone, I'd point to Wimp and his influence. After all, it was his involvement that led to Grant and Johnson.

Duckworth wasn't a Byrne hire. For one, she's been at UA since 2000 in a coaching capacity. Her career at Bama dates back to 1990? While her hiring was under Battle's regime, it was a Sarah Patterson hire. I don't see how you can call that stagnant unless your only reference point is National Titles. Since she's been at the helm Bama's been in the Super Six four of six years.

-- Fundraising is a key component to an AD's responsibilities.
So he's really good at fundraising. I'll be 1000% honest here, I could have come up with the Crimson Standard and sold it to the same people he did with all of the resources he had available.

Maybe , but I seriously doubt you could. I couldn't because I don't know anything about the process. I know one thing for certain. It's not as easy as your describing. Bob Bockrath, even with Sorenson at his side, couldn't turn a head when it came to the fundraising network. Coach Moore built that into what it is today.

Quite frankly, I don't believe Hootie could have done as good of a job as Coach Moore. Yes, he had his resume (Clemson and FSU along with the SEC on the admin side) but the athletic department was already turning into a mess at that point with the old guard.

It's a mischaracterization to say he came in and just grabbed the playbook. He was well known for his ability in this regard before he arrived at UA. It was one of the high points of his resume.

On a different note I see people complaining about Byrne now. The majority of those complaints stem from the renovations at BDS and some losing their seats/being moved. Older seat holders, a lot of them, complaining about the University moving forward. It's eerily similar to the old guard in the athletic department fighting for their spotlight in the aftermath of the Saban hire.

Look at the FSU thread and the lengths they are going to today trying to raise money. And this is only for a football coach. It's a stark contrast to what we've see with the past three AD's at Bama. 95+% of Bama fans didn't know the fund raising efforts that were happening when they were raising money to bring Saban in (with Shula still at the helm.)

Maybe , but I seriously doubt you could. I couldn't because I don't know anything about the process. I know one thing for certain. It's not as easy as your describing. Bob Bockrath, even with Sorenson at his side, couldn't turn a head when it came to the fundraising network. Coach Moore built that into what it is today.

Quite frankly, I don't believe Hootie could have done as good of a job as Coach Moore. Yes, he had his resume (Clemson and FSU along with the SEC on the admin side) but the athletic department was already turning into a mess at that point with the old guard.

It's a mischaracterization to say he came in and just grabbed the playbook. He was well known for his ability in this regard before he arrived at UA. It was one of the high points of his resume.

On a different note I see people complaining about Byrne now. The majority of those complaints stem from the renovations at BDS and some losing their seats/being moved. Older seat holders, a lot of them, complaining about the University moving forward. It's eerily similar to the old guard in the athletic department fighting for their spotlight in the aftermath of the Saban hire.

Look at the FSU thread and the lengths they are going to today trying to raise money. And this is only for a football coach. It's a stark contrast to what we've see with the past three AD's at Bama. 95+% of Bama fans didn't know the fund raising efforts that were happening when they were raising money to bring Saban in (with Shula still at the helm.)

Except he did grab the playbook. He did not go out and find those investors. They were already in the program. And I'm willing to bet I could do what he did on a smaller scale and with all of the years of experience he has, I can do what he does. I just happened to start my career not in this arena and so therefore it's not easy to just up and start a new career. I may not be a computer guy as we have discussed, but I am a damn good salesman that is personable enough and intelligent enough to work on high dollar materials, and have. The groundwork was laid for him, so him creating some massive renovation of our venues is not necessarily innovative. It may be a part of his job, but I'm still not sold in the fact we are moving forward athletically. It appears Coach Moore was focused on getting the lifeblood of the university pumping again with his Saban hire and stadium renovations. It appears Bill Battle worked on infrastructure as well as setting our entire sports program up to succeed as well as the licensing for the university. All I have seen Byrne do is ask for more money so we can upgrade facilities for teams that are not producing (football and softball excluded). As I have said, basketball, gymnastics, baseball, and golf are not where they need to be. Can the Crimson Initiative not go to giving more scholarship money to all sports in efforts of bringing in better talent? Asking because I'm not sure if the NCAA allows you to earmark donations towards scholarships. Like I said, I don't find him particularly special in any way, because the black book of donors was handed over and offering them the world for their money is not necessarily am achievement I find noteworthy. I don't have anything against the guy, I just don't see why he was offered more money when I am not seeing a result on the field.

No. He was not responsible for Goff, Johnson, or Duckworth. That's the reason I mentioned your timeline was off.

One of the first moves he made on an administrative side was firing Goff (a Battle hire.) Firing him after only one year at the helm. I'm assming you don't pay a lot of attention to baseball based on what you're saying here. Things are looking better than they have in awhile since he's taken over.

The Avery hire was a Battle hire as well. Johnson being fired and the search that gave Bama Oats was Byrne. I don't believe you can point to anyone and say the program is stagnant because you'd include Moore, Battle, Byrne, Bockrath...if anyone, I'd point to Wimp and his influence. After all, it was his involvement that led to Grant and Johnson.

Duckworth wasn't a Byrne hire. For one, she's been at UA since 2000 in a coaching capacity. Her career at Bama dates back to 1990? While her hiring was under Battle's regime, it was a Sarah Patterson hire. I don't see how you can call that stagnant unless your only reference point is National Titles. Since she's been at the helm Bama's been in the Super Six four of six years.

From what I remember, Goff had zero shot after his conduct and some other things materialized if I remember correctly. So you calling that a win for Byrne is off as he buried himself. The team is doing better, but still a ways away. With all of the money funneled into the stadium and practice facilities, they should be seeing results.

Duckworth has maintained a team that can't win. Yeah, we make the Super Six, but let's be real in the fact that there just aren't many seasoned gymnastic programs throughout the country. Alabama has had a rich history in gymnastics. We have fallen, just like Georgia. LSU, Utah, Michigan, UCLA, Florida, and even Auburn have maintained their status, but we have simply fallen. One area we have been getting drilled in was the balance beam, for years! If you like being at the backend of the tournament, then enjoy mediocrity.

I still happen to think Avery was a decent hire. Call me stupid, but he had us recruiting like I never had seen. He was putting it together, maybe slower than some wanted, but he was. Oats, I was never sold on that hire. It's one thing to run the roster he ran and maximizing his talent there against lower level competition, but it will be interesting to see how that philosophy works in a league where we have teams 6'7 and taller than can shoot the three as well as play in the cylinder. We'll see how it all shapes out when he gets his recruits in.

As I said, are we better off now than we were three to five years ago? I don't think we are as competitive. Just my two cents.

Let's not forget that donations are no longer considered charitable donations. That's a huge deal if you ask me.

Look up Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, 80-20 rule.

I think the benefits were minimal anyways and sounded good from a selling point even when they were deductible. Someone donating $5M for a sky box doesn't give a crap about a tax deduction on this to be honest. They aren't nickel and diming to the tune of being worth $6M, these people are worth $200M, so their donation to their school isn't like a deduction for their jobs. I know I didn't bother me when I invested.

Last edited:
@TerryP,

Look at Auburn and what they are willing to do. Didn't their boosters come up with the funds to buy Gus out?

I know Georgia Tech had a secret fund going where boosters came up with the money to buy Paul Johnson out. There are people with millions that love their school that will pay.

Florida State's issues most likely come from a group of donors that aren't as dedicated as some from Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Auburn, Texas etc.

I think the benefits were minimal anyways and sounded good from a selling point even when they were deductible. Someone donating $5M for a sky box doesn't give a crap about a tax deduction on this to be honest. They aren't nickel and diming to the tune of being worth $_M, these people are worth $200M, so their donation to their school isn't like a deduction for their jobs. I know I didn't bother me when I invested.

Seems like you're minimizing a person's ability to give the University $2000 and being able to write off $1600 of that. That's significant.

Using your numbers, someone donating $5MM of a $200MM worth is the same as someone donating $10,000 with a net worth of $400k. 2.5% is a significant donation to give without a deduction.

Hell, I can tell you this, I'd be hard pressed to give 2.5% of my net worth away and not expecting some kind of write-off.

Back
Top Bottom