| FTBL A group of investors and ex-Disney executives have met with 30 athletic directors to pitch a new 70-school football league

That's interesting for sure...

While I personally would prefer a more traditional, old school conference model such as the one shown above, the toothpaste ain't going back in the tube at this point. The SEC and B1G aren't about to give up power (and money) when the opportunity is on the table for them to gain more power (and money) by doing things their own way.

While I personally would prefer a more traditional, old school conference model such as the one shown above, the toothpaste ain't going back in the tube at this point. The SEC and B1G aren't about to give up power (and money) when the opportunity is on the table for them to gain more power (and money) by doing things their own way.

I think more money can be placed at their feet than what's being offered. I don't think that 30 conference representatives would attend if that was not on the table.

I think the BIG deal is that the SEC & B1G are not going to submit to be treated equally. Not now. They have ALL the leverage right now. Why would they give that up? More money? Well, they are going to make more money. They're just getting started.

Lastly, I'm seeing that the NIL world is going to create a rude awakening for many Power 5 teams. Lets say we round up the Top 10 programs of the power 5 & we audit them over the next 5 years. . . . . I suspect that many of these teams, despite the hordes of money thrown into NIL, are going to be drowned out with all the non-coachable talent that is getting paid all this money. I suspect that its going to be clear that the "only the money" NIL crowds will treated like a clear cancer & not an asset.

Or. . . . . some program figures out to manage these primadonna players. But I don't see how teams can really do well against season after season of 5th year senior teams that basically, outwork the teams with all the NIL trolls. Not to mention the caste systems that are already exists in the locker rooms with the Have's Vs the Have Nots.

I'm guessing this is the Saudi money angle.

SEC and Big 10 have the option of doing their own 40-team league and thumbing their noses at everyone else. They will have to decide if they should let anyone else in for the money, and to limit the incessant attacks/controversies by letting in an additional thirty teams. Also, I believe this deal will not have an equal distribution. To me, it looks like some conferences have leverage. Also, if all games are played among these 70 teams, the MACs and Sunbelts of the world will be permanently marginalized. Will the booster money dry up for these teams if they don't have their moon shot chance at the playoffs?

The Big 8 and Big East proposals are junk leagues with cast-offs and Johnny come lately teams. Cincy, UCF, Colorado...you are giving Penn State and Nebraska very easy roads. As Penn State was an independent for years, I understand them being on the outside of an arithmetically correct Big 10. They've only been in the Big 10 as long as SC/Arky's been in the SEC. Tossing Wake into the Big East is a non-traditional move as they've been there since 1953, but it's a necessity to find places for FL teams and put the ACC in a position to demand an increased piece of the pie.

Also, who is getting left out? I don't see academy teams. Are there teams currently in these leagues who should be tossed? Here's the current Athlon 134. Long, but it shows the laggards who are in, and the achievers left out.

College Football Top 134 Team Rankings for 2024 (After Week 6)​

1. Texas
2. Ohio State
3. Georgia
4. Oregon
5. Miami
6. Alabama
7. Penn State
8. Tennessee
9. Ole Miss
10. Notre Dame
11. LSU
12. Clemson
13. Iowa State
14. Texas A&M
15. BYU
16. Kansas State
17. Missouri
18. Oklahoma
19. Utah
20. Michigan
21. Boise State
22. Indiana
23. Illinois
24. Pitt
25. USC
26. SMU
27. Nebraska
28. Navy
29. Iowa
30. Louisville
31. Syracuse
32. Washington State
33. Texas Tech
34. Vanderbilt
35. Rutgers
36. UNLV
37. Arkansas
38. Arizona State
39. South Carolina
40. Memphis
41. Kentucky
42. Washington
43. Arizona
44. Colorado
45. Army
46. Georgia Tech
47. West Virginia
48. Oklahoma State
49. Tulane
50. Virginia
51. Duke
52. Liberty
53. California
54. Boston College
55. James Madison
56. Florida
57. UCF
58. Northern Illinois
59. Fresno State
60. Virginia Tech
61. North Carolina
62. Minnesota
63. Wisconsin
64. Michigan State
65. Maryland
66. Western Kentucky
67. Toledo
68. Cincinnati
69. Oregon State
70. Auburn
71. NC State
72. Sam Houston
73. Texas State
74. ULM
75. Coastal Carolina
76. Louisiana
77. Wake Forest
78. Houston
79. TCU
80. San Jose State
81. Stanford
82. South Florida
83. Georgia Southern
84. Georgia State
85. Kansas
86. North Texas
87. Florida State
88. Northwestern
89. Baylor
90. UConn
91. Marshall
92. Arkansas State
93. South Alabama
94. Appalachian State
95. Miami, Ohio
96. Buffalo
97. UCLA
98. Mississippi State
99. Eastern Michigan
100. Charlotte
101. East Carolina
102. Colorado State
103. UTSA
104. Purdue
105. Old Dominion
106. Bowling Green
107. Ohio
108. Western Michigan
109. Jacksonville State
110. San Diego State
111. Hawaii
112. Nevada
113. New Mexico
114. Florida Atlantic
115. FIU
116. Central Michigan
117. Wyoming
118. Air Force
119. Tulsa
120. Troy
121. Temple
122. New Mexico State
123. Ball State
124. UAB
125. Utah State
126. Rice
127. Louisiana Tech
128. Southern Miss
129. Middle Tennessee
130. Akron
131. UMass
132. UTEP
133. Kennesaw State
134. Kent State

Have they moved/changed the language from "P" to "A" with "A4 collegues?

"I have yet to see a single thing in any plan that I've learned details about that contains things that we couldn't do ourselves and our A4 colleagues as well," Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti said. "At the end of the day, there's a strong commitment that you have the ability to do all of this ourselves.
"... The notion that college football is broken -- what we do is broken -- is just not right."

Back
Top Bottom