| GOLF 219 yards out. Where’s your shot headed?

Wow, 219 with a 5... you must play quite a lot.
About a decade ago I had a driver custom made. My swing speed measured between 88-90. I have a 28 degree loft on my 5H, and I can carry it about 185-188.

I said, "low draw and let it run." I can get a 20 yard roll on that shot which would put me 10 yards out with a putter...at worst, a flop shot in.

The best round of my life was a 63 shot at Kings Grant in Summerville...the last time I played that course, just a few weeks before they demolished it to turn into housing. Just like walking to the bathroom to take a piss in the middle of the night, I could walk through that place in the dark. Blindfolded.

I guess I do play quite a bit, compared to most. Then again, look at where I live. There is no such thing as "winter greens."

I normally play two balls on the course so I can't give you an accurate handicap right now. It's probably a six, on a good day a five. I played the back nine at Crowfield the other day at 39.

Wow, 219 with a 5... you must play quite a lot.
Damn. Just reminded me of something Jack said a long time ago.

"Golf is 90% mental, 10% physical."

We could dive into semantics on his percentages. But, by and large, he's right.

I've told many a golfer "I could cut 10 strokes off your game, today." They ask, "how?" My answer? "Stop, and think for a second."

Yes, it's great to be on the green in two on a 5 par. It's smart to have a gap, or pitching, wedge in your hands when you are looking at being on the green in three.

The chance of an eagle? Not so good. The chances of a birdie? A lot better. The chances of carding a five and moving on to the next hole. Excellent.

Back
Top Bottom