| MBB/WBB đźŹ† 2023 SEC Basketball Tournament:

Since I was working only got to see some of the first half and a little of the last few minutes of the game. Looked liked they tightend up the turnovers, defense and shooting. Just like that it is a 20+ point win. They have not shown they will be consistent but when they are on they will drill you. It is sooooo important that they play great defense and limit turnovers. The shooting is going to come and go. Will be the difference in a win and a loss which will determine how deep of a run they make.

Good win. On the to next one against a very improved Mizzouri team. Gotta come to play tomorrow.

For us to win this tournament and make a deep run in the dance we have to get more from Bradley, Griffen and Sears five points combined from those three today.

Will this be the biggest upset so far? Mizz beating UT?
I guess, but Unlikely. Missouri wasn't favored but most people who knew anything knew UT was going to struggle without their best player against them on a neutral floor. Missouri is not a bad team, they don't have 1 guy who can light you up they got 5-6 guys that can consistently score. We will have our hands full tomorrow dealing with them. I think we win, but it will be tougher than MSST.

I think UARK over TAMU will be the biggest upset of the day or Vandy over UK. I think it's Bama vs Vandy for the SEC Championship.

For us to win this tournament and make a deep run in the dance we have to get more from Bradley, Griffen and Sears five points combined from those three today.
Yep when they were drilling people they were playing well. Sears and Griffen especially were shooting well. We will need that because there will be teams that can reasonably keep Miller under control. Not shut down but under control.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The No. 4/5 Alabama men's basketball team cruised to a 72-49 win over Mississippi State in Friday's Southeastern Conference Tournament quarterfinals at Bridgestone Arena. The Crimson Tide's 23-point victory over the ninth-seeded Bulldogs was its third-largest margin of victory in the UA's tournament's history.

The Crimson Tide led from start-to-finish, building a 20-point halftime advantage and extended its lead to as many as 25 points in the second half. Alabama finished the game with 21 assists and 12 made three-pointers, both of which stand second-most in an SEC Tournament game in program history, while its 37 three-point attempts set a program tournament record.

Freshman Brandon Miller, who was named as a Naismith Trophy semifinalist prior to the contest, led Alabama with 18 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Jahvon Quinerly made his first start of the season and finished with 10 points, four assists and a pair of steals. Noah Gurley added 11 points off the bench while Charles Bediako added 11 points and five blocks in the win.

The Tide improved to 27-5 this year, matching the program record of most wins in a season, while Mississippi State falls to 21-12 on the year.

HEAD COACH NATE OATS POSTGAME COMMENTS​

"It was a good start to the tournament. We obviously didn't play very well last time we were out at Texas A&M, so we needed to bounce back. We've bounced back off losses pretty well all year. I think the margin of victory after a loss is 20-plus points. We did that again today. The question is can we continue to play like this for the next two days. But I thought our guys were very focused. They were really into the defensive end, which is what we needed. We made a change in the lineup, obviously. Took our Sixth Man of the Year in the SEC (Jahvon Quinrely) and put him in the starting lineup. I just thought we were struggling offensively to start games. We get to the end of the four-minute media timeout, have two points, three points. Lastly, it was Charles' birthday today. Our guys are great. They gave him a big, huge birthday celebration this morning, sang to him. He finished with five blocks on his birthday, too. I thought he controlled the paint pretty well. He won the hardhat for all the blue-collar points."

Watching this TAMU team, more and more just baffles me how they play the game and the officials feed into it.

They get more fouls called for them than any team I've seen in a while. Would be interesting to look and see if foul disparity is one of their key winning traits throughout the season.

They also sell those fouls like soccer/hockey players

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The No. 4/5 Alabama men's basketball team will face No. 25/RV Missouri in the Southeastern Conference Tournament semifinals on Saturday, with the winner advancing to Sunday's championship game. The Crimson Tide is looking to win what would be a program-record 28th victory of the season, surpassing the 2001-02 team (27 wins).

The semifinals matchup features two of the top offenses in the country, as the Tide rank No. 1 in scoring offense (82.5 ppg) led by Brandon Miller's 19.5 points per game while Mizzou is right being UA, scoring 80.1 ppg, which is No. 2 in the SEC. The Tide and Tigers contest is highlighted by Alabama's Miller and Mizzou's Kobe Brown, who were both named First Team All-SEC.

The Broadcast​

Saturday's game is set for an 12 p.m. CT tipoff and will be aired on ESPN with Karl Ravech (play-by-play), Jimmy Dykes (analyst) and Marty Smith (sideline reporter) on the call.

The radio broadcast can be heard on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play) and Bryan Passink (analyst) on the call, while Tom Stipe (engineer) is turning the dials. The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.

Notes You Need To Know​

• Brandon Miller became the fourth player in the last 50 years to lead the SEC in scoring as a freshman joining Bernard King (1975), Chris Jackson (LSU) and Cameron Thomas (2021)
  • Alabama head coach Nate Oats joins C.M. Newton as the only two Alabama head coaches that have led UA to multiple SEC regular season championships
  • Alabama has won two SEC regular season championships in the last three years for the first time since winning three straight from 1974-76
  • The Crimson Tide is the first SEC team to score 100 points versus three conference opponents since the 1997-98 Arkansas team
  • Alabama won 11 SEC games by double digits, tying the program record set by the 1955-56 team
  • The Crimson Tide is one of four schools (Houston, Purdue and Texas) to rank in the top 20 in both defense adjusted efficiency (No. 3) and in offense adjusted efficiency (No. 20) according to KenPom
  • Alabama's newcomers have scored 2,043 of UA's 2,640 points (78.4%) this season led by Brandon Miller's 19.5 ppg
  • Miller is seven points away from tying Collin Sexton's record for most points (632 points) scored by a freshman in a single season in UA history
  • Miller is the only player in Division I this season and one of 10 players in the last 30 years to score 625 points, record 258 rebounds and make 95 three-pointers this season
  • Miller's 96 three-pointers this season is the fourth most in UA history in a single season and 17 away from the program record (Eric Washington, 1995-96)
  • Alabama's freshmen have scored 51.5% (1,359 points) of the Tide's points this season

About Missouri​

• Mizzou has advanced to the SEC Tournament semifinals for the first time since joining the league in 2012
  • Kobe Brown is the second player in Mizzou history earn first-team All-SEC honors from both the media and the coaches
  • Mizzou heads to its conference tournament with four-straight wins for the first time since 1994
  • The Tigers are a perfect 8-0 in games decided by five or less points
  • Dennis Gates won 23 games in his first season as Mizzou head coach – the most victories by a first-year SEC coach since MU joined the league in 2012
  • With a 23-8 overall record, Missouri has its most wins in a season since totaling 23 in 2013-14
  • The Tigers earned the No. 4 seed for the SEC Tournament – their highest seed in school history, earning a double bye to the quarterfinals
  • Against the nation's 51st-ranked schedule, the Tigers have totaled six quad one wins and nine combined quad one and quad two victories
  • The Tigers are shooting 15.8 percent better from beyond the arc in wins (5.1 more makes per game) and 17.0 percent better in SEC games

Notes From Nashville​

• UA advanced to the tournament semifinals following a 72-49 victory over No. 9 seed Mississippi State in Friday's quarterfinals. The 23-point win was the third-largest margin of victory in Alabama's tournament history, 14 points fewer than the Tide's 37-point win in the 2021 tournament (85-48).
  • Alabama has now won four consecutive SEC Tournament games inside Bridgestone Arena following Friday's victory over Mississippi State. In fact, the last loss for the Crimson Tide in the venue came on March 15, 2019 (lost 73-55 vs. Kentucky), just prior to head coach Nate Oats' arrival.
  • Alabama has now advanced to the semifinals 27 times (14-13) in the tournament's history, the third most in the league. The Crimson Tide has won its semifinal contest and moved on to the championship game on 14 occasions, the second most in the league, owning a 7-7 record in such contests.
  • Alabama won the 2021 SEC Championship in a thrilling 80-79 win over LSU in the championship game while Jahvon Quinerly went on to be named the 2021 SEC Tournament Most Outstanding Player.

Mizzou's success this season should come with an asterisk, right? If you remember the discussions prior to Bama facing them in the regular season you'll also remember we pointed to the number of grad transfers and seniors on their team.

That said ...

I read that Gates is getting an extension/raise from 2.5 to 4 million per. Even with the upperclassman heavy roster he's done a good job this season. They're currently 24-8 after finishing last season 13-21.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but the post game pressures are painful to watch. Not sure what can be done other than just not show up. Couldn't be worse than having to answer questions like "do you own a gun" .... Certainly do not put Miller or Bradley out there. I am sure some wouldany say they deserve whatever backlash they get, Maybe so but the program needs to do some damage control. Now you have Barkely jumping on the bandwagon so that will just keep it going at the national level. I just saw a headline so maybe it is not as bad as I am thinking with Barkely but he is a Barner so if he can do some damage against Bama he will.

Back
Top Bottom