| FTBL 2007 Season Expectations

Based upon the regular season schedule, what record would satisfy your expectations in Saban's first

• 7-5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8-4

• 9-3

• 10-2

• 11-1

• 12-0

• Total voters
Rolling Tide said:
I don’t get it... When we still had Shula all I hear was 2007 was going to be the break out year and possible run at an SEC Championship.

Why is it that not many people think Saban can do the same?

Well, you have to think of a combination of alot of things.

A new coaching staff and Offense/Defense will be something to watch. It's hard for any coaching staff, even this outstanding one we have assembled, to win the SEC or a NC their first year.

A lot of things will have to be looked at year round. Mainly including how well the team chemistry is, not to mention if the coaching staff gels together. Another major part being the players have to learn the plays and schemes of CNS and his staff.

Have to also think about it being the 07' predictions with Shula and Co. at the helm. They were just mere hopeful dreams, IMO. Even if I was one of the "Homers", its the truth. :roll:

8 home games with all but the barn here, CNS has a chance to impress everyone and make a run, beating arky is the key to the whole season, history shows whoever wins that game does good the rest of the way (see last year) we never were able to recover from that give away...

As usual, the expectations are nowhere near the reality for a whole bunch of Alabama fans.

Although a proven winner, we do have a first year head coach, and whether or not anyone wants to admit it there is a talent deficit in certain places on this team. I think that a lot of the young guys coming in can address SOME of that deficit, but, as has been proven time and time again in the past, true freshmen starting in the SEC is not ideal, except in rare cases. (Big Andre)

Wins: WCU, MSU, Houston, ULM, MSU, Vandy, Ole Miss.

Don't expect Ole Miss, Vandy, Houston or even the Steepuppies from Starkville to be pushovers, and all but UH are on the road.

Tossups: Arkansas, Georgia, Florida State, Tennessee, LSU and Auburn. In order to be 9-3 we'd have to take 3 of six from this group. That's a tall order. Not impossible, just improbable.

8-4 or 7-5 would be more realistic until we see what Coach Saban can do with our current talent.

What will satisfy me?

Seeing a fundamentally sound, well conditioned, well coached football team, that doesn't beat themselves and run out of gas in the 4th quarter, that can finish a team when they have them on the ropes.Sad that at Bama I have to wish for that, when it used to be a given... :(

If we get that, the wins will come.

MB

8-4 would be a start and one that is conservative, a record that is attainable if not 9-3 with a few breaks.

This squad is going to start with the growing pains of any new program... I just feel they will weather it better than most and the fan base surely will be supportive...

CN$ is not like any other and I believe he will in fact ramp up the entire process, installing a new offense, defensive schemes, teaching fundamentals as well as advanced capabilities, strength & conditioning, moral philosophy and subtle mind enhancements as well.

If anyone can get it right I believe he will!

Reading the question the way musso intended....

I'd be willing to go with 8-4 if it includes a win vs. Auburn. Heck, for that I might even go down to 7-5. Since this is Saban's 1st year I'm not as concerned with the record as I am beating Auburn and rebuilding. I'd love 9-3 or 10-2, but my personal wish list includes a win over AU.

If we don't beat AU this year (which would be a tall order at Jerdan Hare) then I'll expect a win in 2008 vs. them at Bryant-Denny.

BamaDelta said:
Reading the question the way musso intended....

I'd be willing to go with 8-4 if it includes a win vs. Auburn. Heck, for that I might even go down to 7-5. Since this is Saban's 1st year I'm not as concerned with the record as I am beating Auburn and rebuilding. I'd love 9-3 or 10-2, but my personal wish list includes a win over AU.

If we don't beat AU this year (which would be a tall order at Jerdan Hare) then I'll expect a win in 2008 vs. them at Bryant-Denny.

The barn lost like 4 OL last year and one of their best RB's so this could be a very good year to beat them. CNS knows thats his whole season for judgement that day!

Rolling Tide said:
I don’t get it... When we still had Shula all I hear was 2007 was going to be the break out year and possible run at an SEC Championship.

That is a good and valid point. Most of us did claim that 2007 would be the break out year for CMS. I think the reason nobody really has that sentiment yet about CNS who is clearly a superior coach, is because it takes time to get the team to memorize all of the plays. Even if the schemes were similar to what CMS ran, the terminology is always different from Coach to Coach and program to program.

Rolling Tide said:

That is a good and valid point. Most of us did claim that 2007 would be the break out year for CMS. I think the reason nobody really has that sentiment yet about CNS who is clearly a superior coach, is because it takes time to get the team to memorize all of the plays. Even if the schemes were similar to what CMS ran, the terminology is always different from Coach to Coach and program to program.

Swamptick said:
Rolling Tide said:

ditto.

musso said:
Swamptick said:
Rolling Tide said:

ditto.

Yeah I said that pretty much already. :D

Tider 27 said:

A new coaching staff and Offense/Defense will be something to watch. It's hard for any coaching staff, even this outstanding one we have assembled, to win the SEC or a NC their first year.

A lot of things will have to be looked at year round. Mainly including how well the team chemistry is, not to mention if the coaching staff gels together. Another major part being the players have to learn the plays and schemes of CNS and his staff.

Have to also think about it being the 07' predictions with Shula and Co. at the helm. They were just mere hopeful dreams, IMO. Even if I was one of the "Homers", its the truth. :roll:

Tider 27 said:
musso said:
Swamptick said:
Rolling Tide said:

ditto.

Yeah I said that pretty much already. :D

Tider 27 said:

Meet me at Bryant Denny, it's going down...

Denny Chimes said:
I voted 9-3 but let's not forget we're paying him $4 million/year to win ball games, especially against our SEC rivals...

Chimes, I can live w/ what you said after this... but this line of thinking doesn't float for me at all. If CNS justifies his supposed success by a the size of his paycheck then we've lost already. I hope we have a head coach that isn't thinking about what he's getting paid but what he loves doing :arrow: coaching & winning.

Again, the rest of your comments I can agree :).

Finally, regarding the topic at hand. I find it very difficult to determine what the W-L will be that will make me happy. Another member posted that what he wants to see a team that never gives up & is only beaten by a team the played tougher & executed better, not saying we didn't, but not outcoached. If we see this the wins will show up.

Bama's 2007 season...

I think that Bama has the talent to win, and the desire to win as well. I believe an offseason in the weight room and running will have the boys in top condition for the games. I expect good to great coahcing from the sidelines, with all the coaches on the same page (and with Saban making the final judgement). I expect Saban trusts his coaches to make the right calls, and the players will expect it as well. many people in the sports biz were also pointing at 2007 for Bama to have a break out year.

Add all that together, I agree that the Ark game is the key next year (sad to say, Bama should never have lost so many games to the Hogs, blame probation). It is at home, before the UGA game. If Bama wins that game, Bama will beat UGA and FSU the next two weeks, as the confidence will be there (and if the ball does not take a strange bounce. If so, then Bama beats UGA and FSU, if Bama does not win, then Bama will lose those two game.

Since Bama plays UT and LSU at home, if Bama has not lost a game when they play them, the confidence will be there, and so will the win(s) (LSU will be the toughest game for Bama next year, period)

The AU game is a toss-up. If Bama has lost several games like the Ark game, then Bama will struggle. If Bama does as I suspect them to, then the AU game may just be easier than we think for Bama. I know one thing, thank goodness TT is at AU. If AU still had Pat Dye, Bama will have had a longer time to recover from sanctions. As it is, Saban tied TT in recruiting last year in the state.....

Back
Top Bottom