| NEWS 11 injured, one dead in crash involving school bus in Talladega County

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
11 injured, one dead in crash involving school bus in Talladega County

ZRUOXD5CYBBHLEJIJYGQ7QU6JA.jpg

One person died and 11 others were injured in a crash on Interstate 20 in Talladega County involving a vehicle and a school bus Tuesday night. (ALEA)12
11.1kshares

By Anna Beahm | abeahm@al.com

abeahm@al.com

One person died after a school bus carrying Handley High School and Middle School athletes collided with a vehicle on Interstate 20 in Talladega County Tuesday night, authorities said.

The driver of the passenger vehicle died in the crash, said Trooper Cpl. Jimmy Harrell. The victim has been identified as 31-year-old Amanda Nicole Hubbard. She was from Munford.

The bus was carrying the Handley High School junior varsity football team and the middle school’s seventh and eighth grade teams, said varsity football coach Larry Strain. The two teams were returning to Roanoke from a football game in Leeds.

The crash happened around 9:25 p.m. when the Toyota Tacoma Hubbard was driving on I-20 westbound crossed the median and hit the bus, which was traveling eastbound on 1-20, Harrell said.

Eight student-athletes and three adults on the bus were injured. The students were taken to Children’s Hospital by ambulance. The driver of the bus was airlifted to UAB Hospital with “serious” injuries, but is expected to survive, Harrell said.

Harrell said 25 students and three adults were on the bus at the time of the crash.

Strain said he was sitting at the front of the bus when the crash happened.

“The car came across the median from the other side of the interstate, went airborne and hit the top of the bus," he said, adding that the car hit the top of the bus near the driver’s side.

Harrell said the bus crossed over the median and into the westbound lane after it collided with the Toyota.

The crash happened on I-20 east near mile marker 168 and Alabama 77 at the Talladega/Lincoln exit, troopers said in a tweet. As of 1 a.m., the inside lane of I-20 west was open. I-20 east is open.

Alabama Law Enforcement Agency@ALEAprotects
TALLADEGA COUNTY- Troopers are on the scene of a two-vehicle crash, involving a school bus, on I-20 eastbound at the 168 mile marker.​
Updated information on the condition of those injured was not immediately available.

Please keep this here for a day. These kids need our prayers. pray for the lady that died in this too. Handley school is the city school here in Roanoke, Al.

Back
Top Bottom