| RECRUIT šŸˆ 2024 Transfer Portal Thread - DB DaShawn Jones has Committed to Alabama

Now that the portal is closed until next year, how do guys feel about the guys we lost? I know losing players sucks, but it could've been MUCH worse than what it was. I give Deboer and his staff major props for being able to retain all the players that they did.

Now that the portal is closed until next year, how do guys feel about the guys we lost? I know losing players sucks, but it could've been MUCH worse than what it was. I give Deboer and his staff major props for being able to retain all the players that they did.
I think we're in a good spot internally. The depth is really the only small concern on the back end of the secondary but with the guys visiting and adding Howard I think we'll be fine here shortly. Overall DeBoer has done a masterful job keeping the recruiting class and team together. I think the staff has a lot to do with this also, retaining a few guys really smoothed the transition and allowed him to keep his foot in the door of those recruits. Just look at our 2025 class and watch how it rises over the next 8-10 months before NSD these kids are studs and most are undervalued currently, like Lotzier Brooks to name an example. I'll be interested to see what shakes out here over the fall camp and what the depth chart looks like going into the first game.

One loss. Downs. Otherwise, the roster is more "healthy" than it was last year.
Maybe two. But I like the upgrade at WR.

Just look at our 2025 class and watch how it rises over the next 8-10 months before NSD these kids are studs and most are undervalued currently, like Lotzier Brooks to name an example. I'll be interested to see what shakes out here over the fall camp and what the depth chart looks like going into the first game.
The secondary will be scary in 2025. It will take a little longer for Matt to get his "guys" in...versus Sheridan. They are already here in the later.

I feel really good about it all. Based off where it was trending and all the talk about some crazy stuff going down around the country, I feel good. We kept Haynes, we kept Keely, and we brought it a couple of nice pieces.

I also believe Downs is the real hit to our roster. But overall, Iā€™d give coach an A, and I expect thereā€™s more to come. So that grade could easily hit A+!

I believe Bernard is going to be a beast at WR. At least based on some of his catches and routes at the spring game.
I think some people are overvaluing Downs and Undervaluing people like Brailsford and Bernard. While blocking wasn't an issue, the snapping thing led to problems ALL year and we all noticed it. Whether it was the yips or just performance issues or injury it was a constant problem for Milroe to read a defense and then have to takes his eyes completely off his first read. It caused many issues with either holding the ball too long or running through progressions fast because his internal clock was off on when he should scramble.

Downs was a HELL of a player, and definitely will be good for Ohio State, I don't think the drop-off is as big a precipice as some believe. Safety is one of the easier positions to find people at. I believe losing Arnold and Kool-aid will be more felt this year than losing Downs.

Bernard is an incredible player, and he fits DeBoer's system perfectly. One thing I strain to remind people is: That Spring game was about as vanilla as Saban's. There was not a lot of window dressing or anything to confuse the defense too much. I noticed they allowed a little more stuff and some blitzes later but mostly they stuck to their assigned call and didn't use much motion or confusion. Bernard is a great player and will thrive in this offense, his catch radius is great and I think with an o-line that will be greatly improved for Milroe we'll be able to see some longer developing routes and people sitting in pockets in coverage while Jalen scans the field.

Downs was and is a stud. Not downplaying other players who came aboard but we need to be honest with ourselves about that cat. How much will it impact us? We shall see. Hopefully not much.

Back
Top Bottom