| FTBL You know, Ive never said it before....

bamafan4ever

Staff
but I have a lot of respect for some of you younger guys. All you know are some distant or non-existent memories of 1992 and none of the memories from when I was a kid. Just stories and some old videos, yet you stick to the Tide and love it.

I guess I started thinking about it when I was talking to my UGA buddy tonight. He's in Birmingham and I am in Huntsville giving training this week. He had an Aubie say how most AU fans are in the 30 and under range (which still bodes well for BAMA based on our in-state recruiting this year!). Looking around my home state, it is more evident than ever before, I will say that.

Anyway, you guys are really good fans and I appreciate you being here. Some of us "old timers" should show a little more patience sometimes. :wink: :D Hang in there. I think your time in the Sun as a BAMA fan is quickly approaching.

I think about this all the time. I remember some of the things from the late 80's, like hearing Siran Stacy(sp?)on the radio and stuff like that. I remember parts of the 92 season. Keep in mind that I was born in '81 so I was only 11 then. Coming from a family of Aubs I really didn't have a choice but to be an Auburn fan in the early 90's. It wasn't until the 1994 or 95 bowl game against Ohio State where I became a full fledged Bama fan. I'm wanting to say it was the Citrus Bowl. Anyway, I remember seeing Sherman Williams run wild in that game.

I'm not sure why I was hooked on Bama after that, but I was. It made a bunch of people mad in my family, but they learned to accept it. Since then has been a rough ride with a few bright spots, but I know that we're are only 3-4 years away from being where I want us to be. We may win some games before then, but in 3-4 years I think we are going to be a strong force in the BCS games!!

Roll Tide!!

Argo said:
I think about this all the time. I remember some of the things from the late 80's, like hearing Siran Stacy(sp?)on the radio and stuff like that. I remember parts of the 92 season. Keep in mind that I was born in '81 so I was only 11 then. Coming from a family of Aubs I really didn't have a choice but to be an Auburn fan in the early 90's. It wasn't until the 1994 or 95 bowl game against Ohio State where I became a full fledged Bama fan. I'm wanting to say it was the Citrus Bowl. Anyway, I remember seeing Sherman Williams run wild in that game.

I'm not sure why I was hooked on Bama after that, but I was. It made a bunch of people mad in my family, but they learned to accept it. Since then has been a rough ride with a few bright spots, but I know that we're are only 3-4 years away from being where I want us to be. We may win some games before then, but in 3-4 years I think we are going to be a strong force in the BCS games!!

Roll Tide!!

You are a perfect case in point, Argo.

I was watching my boy, in absolute anguish during the UGA game and I started thinking about it then (he's 15 and goes to school in Georgia...raising him right!). He was on the verge of tears. He is also more well versed on the game as a whole than his general counterparts here in Georgia.

bamafan4ever said:
but I have a lot of respect for some of you younger guys. All you know are some distant or non-existent memories of 1992 and none of the memories from when I was a kid. Just stories and some old videos, yet you stick to the Tide and love it.

I guess I started thinking about it when I was talking to my UGA buddy tonight. He's in Birmingham and I am in Huntsville giving training this week. He had an Aubie say how most AU fans are in the 30 and under range (which still bodes well for BAMA based on our in-state recruiting this year!). Looking around my home state, it is more evident than ever before, I will say that.

Anyway, you guys are really good fans and I appreciate you being here. Some of us "old timers" should show a little more patience sometimes. :wink: :D Hang in there. I think your time in the Sun as a BAMA fan is quickly approaching.

Good post. I was 7 years old in '92, so I obviously don't remember much of that season. All I remember is watching the championship and being excited just because everyone else was.

That's why it's frustrating sometimes as a younger Bama fan, when you know how incredible we used to be, but we didn't get to live it and experience it like the older Bama fans have.

But yeah, I agree with you in that it will be good to be a Bama fan soon.

I was a senior in Highschool during the 92 Season. Good times. I still recall the beginning of the end. I was in the Air Force living in Texas at the time. I rode up to Austin with a vols fan to watch the Bama/Tenn game at Hooters. We lost. We Lost the next six in a row!(against tenn) Coaching changes, scandal, fran phony (boy is he going to get his) and so on. At least we had a teaser in the 99 season. I've waded through the muck and I'm going to wade some more if need be. After all, the beer always taste better after a good hard days work.

All I remember of the the glory days was Bryant's last game. The reason I remember is my dad kept yelling eat the clock. I couldn't figure out why he would want someone to do that, but hey he knew so I started yelling it with him. :D

I was in the 10th grade in 92' so I remember that championship very well. What I loved about that game was Miami was so popular during that time. Everyone in my school was wearing their jackets, but could not tell you a single player on their team. I made a lot of money off that game.

I do look forward future days of dominance. However long it takes I will be there. So Roll Tide Roll!!!!!!!

I was 6 years old in 92, and in 99' when we won the SEC championship I was in 7th or 8th grade I think. And I thought I felt old when I see my 4~5 year old cousins playing with some of my old toys @ my grandparents :D :D

Anyway Good Post and ROLL TIDE!

I think I was in 5th grade in '89 when I had to tape the bama/ole miss game for my dad. it wasn't a big deal to me at the time. I wanted to watch cartoons. But since I had to watch the game while it recorded, I was forced to deal with it. But what I saw changed me forever. it's when I became a full fledge bama fan. seeing them come back and beat ole miss 62-20something solidified all of the "teaching" i had growing up (at least growing up to the 4th grade) on what Bama football is.

of course, i was in the 8th grade in '92. I remember all of my friends being down right mean about how Miami was going to kill us. even 8th graders thought Bama had no chance. I didn't have all the knowledge of our history to fight back. I just knew to tell them to just wait and see. Well low and behold, we kicked the ever living dog mess outta the 'Canes and I looked like a genius the next week in school. Was a good feeling.

Not many good feelings since then but I wouldn't have it any other way. It just makes the next time we shock the world that much sweeter. And once again I'll look like the genius I am :)

I will never forget the 92 NC game. I was a senior in high school and to this day, I think that was the most excited I have ever been. I also remember eatching hopelessly as Tom Brady led Michigan to that comeback in the 2000 Orange Bowl when we snatched defeat from the grasps of victory (something we have done well for the past decade).
We thought in 1999, that we were back, but weren't. Maybe in another year or so, we will swell with similar pride that we are a serious contender and a program to be reckoned with.

Bishop said:
I think I'm possibly the youngest person on this board. I don't know the details on any national championship 'cept the 92 one

I feel as if someone has gotten my avatar.. bis..... :?

It's one thing to be a Bama fan throughout the glory years. It's another entirely to have become one after Coach Byrant's death and to remain loyal through the recent bad times. I salute all you young whippersnappers. :lol:

If Alabama never wins another game in my life i'll still be an Alabama fan til the day i die. If any of you young whipper snappers ever needs a history lesson i can tell you. Yeah my hats off to you young Bucks too.

Hey guys this is My first post. I have been here a while just never posted. The reason I am today is because this post has so much that needs to be talked about and the younger fans do need to be praised :D I had been in the Air Force for a couple years and stationed in Arkansas when we won the 92 NC. I remember it like yesterday. To you young guys I say this we WERE great at one time and history, as you know, repeats itself we WILL be great again. One of the quotes I live by goes kind of like this......Those who expect to reap the benefits must be willing to endure the hardships!! We are now enduring our hardships...our benefits are yet to come.

My salute is to the guys and gals that are fans because of the TRADITION and know this, WINNERS never stay down for long.

ROLL TIDE ROLL.

BamaAirForce said:
Hey guys this is My first post. I have been here a while just never posted. The reason I am today is because this post has so much that needs to be talked about and the younger fans do need to be praised :D I had been in the Air Force for a couple years and stationed in Arkansas when we won the 92 NC. I remember it like yesterday. To you young guys I say this we WERE great at one time and history, as you know, repeats itself we WILL be great again. One of the quotes I live by goes kind of like this......Those who expect to reap the benefits must be willing to endure the hardships!! We are now enduring our hardships...our benefits are yet to come.

My salute is to the guys and gals that are fans because of the TRADITION and know this, WINNERS never stay down for long.

ROLL TIDE ROLL.

Nice first post and welcome! There are quite a few former Airmen on this board, including yours truly.

bamafan4ever said:

I had memories of my family cheering like mad in the nineties for Alabama, and the team just grew on me.

I was taught to go for Alabama, and it is something I have in common with most of both sides of my family (there are some tennessee fans hear and there)

Though I see alot of barn fans among my peers, itd be nice to shut them up sometimes :o

I was 3 years old when Coach Bryant died, so unfortunately I never got to witness us at our best. However, I really grew up watching Bama football when Coach Stallings was here, so I did at least get see Bama at a time when it was a national power. These past 10 years have been tough, but hopefully better things are on the horizon!

BamaAirForce said:

ROLL TIDE ROLL.

Hi AirForce welcome to the boards man. I'd like to say thank you for your service means a lot to many members here! ;sal
usacaem2.gif

I am the grandson of a former offensive lineman from Tuscaloosa County High School. Being anything but a Bama fan would be a sin. I still remember when I was little probably 6 or 7 seeing Gene Stallings at the Galleria in Birmingham. My dad was stationed in Korea and my mom and I were staying with my grand parents until he came home. I believe it was at that moment that I became a true FANatic. My entire family even my dad who grew up just outside of Starkville are Bama fans. But I remember being shocked in 92 when they invited friends over not to watch the big game but to play cards. I couldn't watch the game in the living room because my little brother was just a tyke and was making a lot of noise with the other kids. I shut myself in my parents room and watched it on their little 13 in black and white television. When the game was over I ran screaming through the house at the top of my lungs. I must have been a sight. My dad jumped up and ran to the bedroom to see the final score. That day is one of the most vivid memories I have. And probably the greatest thing I can say about being a Bama fan and an Air Force brat is that I have lived all over the world. No matter where I go. No matter what country or state I am in there are always Bama fans. But it's never quite like when I get to go home to Berry Junction and visit my grandparents. I always make the family go to Tuscaloosa. I always make everyone eat at Dreamland. And I always want to go to the museum and the stadium. I've never been to a game at BDS. And I've never even got to see Bama play at Legion Field. But I am anxiously awaiting my first Bama home game. ROLL TIDE AND RAMMER JAMMER!!!

Back
Top Bottom