| FTBL You know guys, I have been reading the forum on another site

macabear

I am a member of, and I'll tell you, I do not understand the pure, unadulterated hatred toward Mike Shula. I mean yes, he was absolutely over his head. Yes, he was a bad coach. Yes, his Daddy beat us up in the media and he did not stop it. Yes, he cost us recruits, games, etc.... I get all that. But he answered a call when no one else would. The people who matter (AD, President of Alabama) knew he had no experience. Yet, they hired him. Mike Shula did not call, they called him. I just wish some of the guys would remember him for what he is and was. A student athlete from the University of Alabama. He may have made poor decisions and idiotic mistakes but he did his best. Is he arrogant and stubborn? Yes. That is apparent. That is the main reason he is gone. He was given a chance to make changes and would not due to some bad advice from Ray Perkins (JMHO). They thought the University would never fire him with the new extension and buy out. So, Mike stuck out his chest and refused to make changes. As in firing coaches. That was his down fall. Loyalty to his assistants. He was given 2 different chances to make changes. Shula said he was not told about his firing when he told his players he would be back. But, the truth be known, Mal Moore had been trying to contact him all day Sunday and Shula avoided him. That is why he was told late at night. Moore personally went and found him and told him. As far as Perkins, he was jockeying for the AD spot someday.

Anyway, Shula came when nobody else would and he brought with him a squeaky clean image. No baggage. That is exactly what Alabama needed. And they knew that. They needed no troubles with the NCAA. Shula did his part. He tried, and did it cleanly (except an occasional F- bomb on national tv). I just wish everyone could let it go and wish him the best. My only regret is that they extended his contract when they should not have. The 10-2 year (2005) was a fluke. Anyone who is honest with himself will admit we won games we probably should have lost. We were extremely fortunate. Everything bounced our way except the Prothro injury. We had no offense what so ever. Terrible. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. :?

I've noticed the topic of Shula causing a lot of problems on other forums as well.

Luckily we just have the best group of members here in the BAMA Nation so it's a non-issue. :D :wink:

porkchop said:
I've noticed the topic of Shula causing a lot of problems on other forums as well.

Luckily we just have the best group of members here in the BAMA Nation so it's a non-issue. :D :wink:

No problem here if it's gone over again, I would think could be classed as:

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Optimus said:
porkchop said:

No problem here if it's gone over again, I would think could be classed as:

beating-a-dead-horse.gif
LOL at Michael Bolton beating that dead horse...
b9919001.jpg

First let me say I liked Mike, was for his hiring, and I still like Mike. I appreciate everything he did and tried to do (other than refusing to make changes when they were obviously needed).

One thing though. I get tired of hearing and reading "He took a job nobody else wanted." That is total BS. Sly Croom, Richard Williamson, Joe Kines, and and almost any other NFL or college assistant would have taken it. Would any of them done any better? Who knows? But Mike WAS NOT the only one that wanted the job. Again, he was my choice, and I admire him for what he tried to accomplish.

In retrospect, the best thing they should have done was give it to Joe Kines on an interim basis and hire a coach after the upcoming season was over.

I'm pretty sure what people mean is that it isn't the dream job it once was. Those names aren't really high profile guys, and if I'm not mistaken some guys publicly said they did not want the job? Maybe I'm wrong? And if I am, I'm sure someone here will correct me. :oops: :wink:

Outlaw said:
I'm pretty sure what people mean is that it isn't the dream job it once was. Those names aren't really high profile guys, and if I'm not mistaken some guys publicly said they did not want the job? Maybe I'm wrong? And if I am, I'm sure someone here will correct me. :oops: :wink:

Maybe so, but most of them that brings this "he took a job nobody else wanted" up acts like Mike Shula did Alabama a favor. He did not do Alabama a favor. Alabama did him a favor by giving him the opportunity of a lifetime.

Bama Bo said:
Outlaw said:

Maybe so, but most of them that brings this "he took a job nobody else wanted" up acts like Mike Shula did Alabama a favor. He did not do Alabama a favor. Alabama did him a favor by giving him the opportunity of a lifetime.

I agree with you. Maybe that was the wrong choice of words. We could have had a number of candidates along the same lines as M Shula. I was talking about top flight coaches.. Thanks guys...

He was given a chance to make changes and would not due to some bad advice from Ray Perkins

As far as Perkins, he was jockeying for the AD spot someday.

Perk the Jerk IS NOT the place to look for blame in Mike not getting rid of bad assistants.
Daddy Don is the one who has a history of never getting rid of an assistant. (historical fact)

On the other hand, Perk, like Saban, would cut loose anyone who wasn't doing the job;
Ken Donahue is a perfect example,
had been a great DC,
but laid down on Perk, for whatever reason;
got put on the road.

So blaming Perk for Mike's failures is too far fetched, it's a Shula family thing.
Perk is hard-headed, but it's a different hard-headed than the Shulas.

T7

You may be right. But I do know that he played for Perkins

both in college and professional ranks. Perkins drafted Shula in 1987 while the HC with the Bucs. Shula also coached under Perkins. When Shula was hired, it was widely reported that Perkins was easing around the campus and attending practices. Mike Shula himself said he "talked" to Ray Perkins often. He stopped short of saying he took advice from him. While at the same time, he freely admitted different coaching techniques than his father had used and that he made his on decisions. But You may better than I. It is just my opinion. RTR!!!! :roll:

macabear is correct in that there was talk of Perkins being involved. I'm not sure how much stock to put into it though. That's the kind of stuff we'll probably never know much about.

Until there is something concrete on it I personally will just chalk it up to an entertaining little rumor. on the other hand, Thunderz is correct about Don Shula not firing people. If I had to bet, I would say that Mike got his advice from Don and not Ray Perkins.

At the end of the day though it would seem that Mike Shula is to blame for Mike Shula getting canned. He seemed to do a lot of things (or NOT do a lot of things, if you get my drift) that contributed to the process.

From what I understand from my souse ( :D ) Perkins advised Shula for two years to get rid of a couple of assistants (OL and OC). Shula wouldn't listen to him either.

As chopper said, Mike Shula is solely responsible for Mike Shula being fired.

Bama Bo said:
From what I understand from my souse ( :D ) Perkins advised Shula for two years to get rid of a couple of assistants (OL and OC). Shula wouldn't listen to him either.

You guys are right. Mike Shula got himself fired no doubt. Good conversation guys. Are you sure none of you want to call me bad names or curse at me? :lol:

macabear said:
Bama Bo said:

You guys are right. Mike Shula got himself fired no doubt. Good conversation guys. Are you sure none of you want to call me bad names or curse at me? :lol:

If that is what you want, I'll be happy to oblige! :twisted: :wink: :D

You guys are right. Mike Shula got himself fired no doubt. Good conversation guys. Are you sure none of you want to call me bad names or curse at me?

I ain't about to curse you macabear,
not after seeing who your pilot is :)
We are on the same side;
if your not washed in the Crimson Flood,
you'll go to Knoxville when you die.

T7

Thunderz7 said:
You guys are right. Mike Shula got himself fired no doubt. Good conversation guys. Are you sure none of you want to call me bad names or curse at me?

I ain't about to curse you macabear,
not after seeing who your pilot is :)
We are on the same side;
if your not washed in the Crimson Flood,
you'll go to Knoxville when you die.

T7

Sorry it took me this long to reply ThunderZ. That is hilarious. I have just seen so many guys get blasted (not here) for having an opinion. It is refreshing. Have a blessed day.. ;tr

Yeah we generally try and encourage people here to have and express an opinion. It makes for what some folks call, a message board. :)

Post away brother. Hope you're enjoying the site.

Back
Top Bottom