| RECRUIT ⭐⭐⭐⭐WR Christian Leary Commits! (FAST)

bama alum

Jaylen Waddle's replacement? Great p/u regardless! RTR!

Alabama landed another big commitment on Tuesday night, this time from Top247 wide receiver Christian Leary, the Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater announced on Twitter.

Leary, a four-star prospect, chose the Crimson Tide over Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, and others. He’s the third wide receiver to join the class following fellow Florida standout Agiye Hall and Jacorey Brooks.

“Definitely their program as a whole sticks out and what they do with their receivers,” Leary told BamaOnLine of why Alabama stands out. “I feel Alabama can get me to the next level.

“They said I can be their ‘guy’ in their offense.”

At 5-foot-9, 180 pounds, Leary is set to be use in the same type of role Jaylen Waddle is used in at the Capstone. That’s what Nick Saban has pitched.

“He don’t tell me what I want to hear,” Leary told 247Sports’ Steve Wiltfong recently. “He keeps it real and that’s what I love about Coach Saban. I’ve talked to him on FaceTime twice. He’s a fun guy to talk to. Real fun guy to talk to. He tells me about the culture and how they do stuff and I can see myself playing there. He told me I resemble Jaylen Waddle’s playing style and I’m definitely keeping that in mind as he’s about to leave.”

Leary is rated the No. 23 wide receiver and the No. 130 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

247Sports is higher on the talented slot, ranking him the No. 18 wide receiver and the No. 122 overall player.

Last season, Leary caught 46 passes for 1,036 yards and eight touchdowns. He also carried the ball 56 times and 528 yards and eight additional scores. Leary has a verified 4.56-second 40-yard dash and 10.5-second 100-meter dash.

Here’s 247Sports’ scouting report on Leary:

“Shorter in stature with a thick, developed lower body. Has added around ten pounds of mass from his sophomore to junior years of high school One of the faster wide receivers on the track in the 2021 cycle and posted some sensational times in the 100 meters early in the spring prior to his senior season. Helped Edgewater to a state title berth as a junior. Productive as a receiver and direct-snap run threat. Transfers his high-level top-end speed to the football field. Pulls away from defenders with ease once in the open field with a long, explosive stride. Dangerous in several facets and a threat to score whenever he touches the ball. Skilled in the open field, whether it's in catch and run situations, as a rusher or return man. Also has the play strength to run with some power. Shows ability to locate and track the ball as a downfield target. Looks like a multi-purpose, versatile offensive weapon at the next level. Will need to continue adding to his skill set as a route-runner as he runs a fairly limited route tree to this point- even more important for a shorter wide receiver. Projects as a Power Five starter with the upside to develop into a NFL Draft selection.”

Is his listed 4.56 40 time correct? That seems a tad slow to have a 10.5 100. Short space quickness matters as much or more than top speed in my view. Although it doesn't hurt to have great top end speed.

Where is our track guy? He would be the one best suited to answer the speed question. They 4.56 might be hand timed.

Back
Top Bottom