| FTBL With a W, why do I feel bad?

G

Well, we got the W but I don't feel good about it. I know it's a process and I'm going to be patient, but it appears our OL is not the strong point that we thought at the beginning of the season. We looked good to start the game and then nothing. Houston stacked the line and dared us to throw and we couldn't.

I'm concerned about the next 2 games before we have a chance to rest and heal during the off week.

But with that said, I'm still going to Oxford to support the team.

Roll Tide

BamaAlum50 said:
Well, we got the W but I don't feel good about it. I know it's a process and I'm going to be patient, but it appears our OL is not the strong point that we thought at the beginning of the season. We looked good to start the game and then nothing. Houston stacked the line and dared us to throw and we couldn't.

I'm concerned about the next 2 games before we have a chance to rest and heal during the off week.

Roll Tide

It's the half-way mark in the season and I've been looking at the program as a whole over the last 36 hrs. The only group on offense I would grade out higher than the OL would be the WR. And, no by much.

We've improved in run blocking. We've improved in pass blocking. Granted, FSU exposed some problems during that game but you can't expect our staff to completely overcome what these guys have been taught over the few years in such a short amount of time.

People have been pointing to JPW's inconsistency this year but I've yet to see someone point out the problems we've had with shotgun snaps. That will throw even the best of QB's out of their rhythm.

Early indications/gut feelings about Ole Miss is we run the ball 60% of the time, if not more. It they can't stop the run, why stop running?

TerryP said:
BamaAlum50 said:

Roll Tide

It's the half-way mark in the season and I've been looking at the program as a whole over the last 36 hrs. The only group on offense I would grade out higher than the OL would be the WR. And, no by much.

We've improved in run blocking. We've improved in pass blocking. Granted, FSU exposed some problems during that game but you can't expect our staff to completely overcome what these guys have been taught over the few years in such a short amount of time.

People have been pointing to JPW's inconsistency this year but I've yet to see someone point out the problems we've had with shotgun snaps. That will throw even the best of QB's out of their rhythm.

Terry P, meet Gary Danielson. :D

As much as I cannot stand for him to be calling SEC games, he made a point to show the low snaps Caldwell was giving JPW in shotgun. That made me wonder if it was the reason Cardwell was moved to Center?

bamafan4ever said:

As much as I cannot stand for him to be calling SEC games, he made a point to show the low snaps Caldwell was giving JPW in shotgun. That made me wonder if it was the reason Cardwell was moved to Center?

Yes, it was. The staff is still looking for the right combinations in a lot areas. A question that hasn't been answered is whether Caldwell will serve us better at a G position rather than at C.

Speaking of which...you see a lot of questions about why we aren't seeing Grant, etc. We've got competition at positions right now. Competition!

Danielson met this a long time ago...

control_mute.jpg

bamafan4ever said:
TerryP said:
BamaAlum50 said:

Roll Tide

I thought Cardwell handled the snaps well. My biggest concern is the QB position. I have tried to stick with JPW but he lost a key fumble in the UGA and FSU game, and then he made a horrible decision at the end of the Houston game to give them a chance to win. I was sitting on the west side of the stands and Mcelroy was warming up before Houston scored again. He was zipping tight hard spirals to Keith Brown. He definitely has the arm to get it done. If nothing else I would sit JPW just to let him know he cannnot make the stupid decisions he has been making. Does the kid not know how to throw the ball away?

The early high of jumping out early and having the other team whittle away at our lead is always troubling.

JPW's inaccuracy this year has been troubling to me. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the trend has been for his short and medium passes ("flat passes") to be high. He just seems to be off in his initial trajectory when he muscles up on it. Some of it may be throwing off his back foot, or perhaps his height, but he's always had a tendency to throw high on the shorter routes. In general, his long passes have been have been underthrown or left to hang. I'll have to say his two TD passes to Stover and McCoy were nice - he had time and showed nice touch.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
The early high of jumping out early and having the other team whittle away at our lead is always troubling.

JPW's inaccuracy this year has been troubling to me. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the trend has been for his short and medium passes ("flat passes") to be high. He just seems to be off in his initial trajectory when he muscles up on it. Some of it may be throwing off his back foot, or perhaps his height, but he's always had a tendency to throw high on the shorter routes. In general, his long passes have been have been underthrown or left to hang. I'll have to say his two TD passes to Stover and McCoy were nice - he had time and showed nice touch.

RTR,

Tim

The 2 TD passes were also underthrown though. The DB almost caught up to the Stover pass. He had to wait on it for what seemed like forever.

I'm sick and tired of thinking in the 1st Quarter:

"Hey, I'll be able to leave at the 4th and beat the traffic, because we are going to dominate this game."

And then having to sit there at the end of the 4th biting my fingernails wondering if we're going to squeak it out. Especially against Houston.

Bones82 said:
It Takes Eleven said:

RTR,

Tim

The 2 TD passes were also underthrown though. The DB almost caught up to the Stover pass. He had to wait on it for what seemed like forever.

I agree, but when a guy's wide open you don't want to overthrow him, or put it close to back line.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
Bones82 said:
It Takes Eleven said:

RTR,

Tim

I agree, but when a guy's wide open you don't want to overthrow him, or put it close to back line.

RTR,

Tim

It was one of JPW's bright moments in the game so I am glad he did hit Stover.

Shire5k said:

"Hey, I'll be able to leave at the 4th and beat the traffic, because we are going to dominate this game."

And then having to sit there at the end of the 4th biting my fingernails wondering if we're going to squeak it out. Especially against Houston.

While I understand the frustration of letting the the opponent come back the way they did in the 4th, it's important to not forget that Houston had the 8th best offense coming into this game and they are the defending C-USA champions.

It was a homecoming game, but UH is no slouch.

moreno_iv said:
Shire5k said:

While I understand the frustration of letting the the opponent come back the way they did in the 4th, it's important to not forget that Houston had the 8th best offense coming into this game and they are the defending C-USA champions.

You're right. I am mainly mad about inconsistancy between 1st half and 2nd half.

Shire5k said:
moreno_iv said:
Shire5k said:

You're right. I am mainly mad about inconsistancy between 1st half and 2nd half.

You mean the first quarter and the other 3 quarters right?

Bones82 said:
Shire5k said:
moreno_iv said:
Shire5k said:

You mean the first quarter and the other 3 quarters right?

Yeah ;)

It is a sad day indeed when we are up 23-0 after the first quarter and win the game on a last second interception in the endzone. It's not like we were playing LSU!! I know we have our issues but dang, it seems as though we are getting worse as the season progresses. I did not expect to win the West this year but I sure did not expect to struggle with Houston either! If we can't get our act together this week, we are in for a long "rest of the season". I was at Buffalo Wild Wings watching the Bama game while the rest of the place was watching UT, and I'm telling you, UT is gonna beat us like a drum if we play them like we did Houston. JPW has got to get himself under control and our D-line....geeeeeez, if we can't pressure Houston's quarterback we will never get to Ainge. Good 'ol Nick needs to light a fire under everyone's butt this week, even the waterboy needs a kick in the arse!!!

bamascw said:
It is a sad day indeed when we are up 23-0 after the first quarter and win the game on a last second interception in the endzone. It's not like we were playing LSU!! I know we have our issues but dang, it seems as though we are getting worse as the season progresses. I did not expect to win the West this year but I sure did not expect to struggle with Houston either! If we can't get our act together this week, we are in for a long "rest of the season". I was at Buffalo Wild Wings watching the Bama game while the rest of the place was watching UT, and I'm telling you, UT is gonna beat us like a drum if we play them like we did Houston. JPW has got to get himself under control and our D-line....geeeeeez, if we can't pressure Houston's quarterback we will never get to Ainge. Good 'ol Nick needs to light a fire under everyone's butt this week, even the waterboy needs a kick in the arse!!!

We had 5 sacks against Houston and countless situations where he was under pressure.

I'm not sure it's the Oline as much as it is the defense. Seems to me that the teams we play are just stacking 7/8 in the box and playing zone. Thus, forcing the QB to make the right read. Plus the WR's have to read off the blitzing LB's to become a HOT WR. To give JPW a target.

All WR's have to do a better job of finding the dead spots in the zone coverage.

On the defense side of the ball. I said at the start this year we don't have the big dogs up front. Running the 3-4 I think works better for us. It helps us because we do have speed. We don't have size.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Anyone thinking that we are going to play for a NC this year you're nuts. Nor, will it be next year it's called reality. Now 09 I believe well be in the top 5! Some fans need to step back and look around CNS is building from the ground up.

Not like there was a huge talent pool waiting for the man when he took the job.

A power of mind or body considered as given to a person for use and improvement: so called from the parable in Matt. 25:14–30.

bamascw said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously?

Back
Top Bottom