| MBB/WBB Why is Vandy's HC, Jerry Stackhouse, being criticized? It's not the 4-23 record, it's the racists and Trump supporters.

Jerry Stackhouse is the men’s basketball coach at Vanderbilt, and so far, not a very good one. But hey, don’t try to blame Stackhouse.

Instead, blame Donald Trump supporters. At least, that’s what Stackhouse appears to imply in a long-winded piece (filled with mostly hot air) from The Athletic.

Stackhouse, 46, was an excellent player at North Carolina and pretty darn good pro. But his playing success has not translated to coaching — as Vanderbilt is just 16-31 in his first two seasons, and a pathetic 4-23 in the SEC.

Now, Stackhouse deserves more of chance to fail. A coach can’t be judged in a season-and-a-half. What’s annoying here isn’t the lousy win-loss record, it’s how Stackhouse tries to sound so defiant about it.

For starters, Stackhouse called out veteran college basketball insider Jeff Goodman, formerly of ESPN and now of Stadium. Along with Goodman, he called out fans who are angry that Vanderbilt stinks.

“Maybe someone like a Jeff Goodman said something — and I’ve got him blocked, anyway — so now a fan wants me to know what Jeff Goodman says, so he tags me,” Stackhouse said. “Well, now you’re blocked, too. I don’t want to see this on my timeline. I don’t want the noise. Don’t want the hate. Y’all mad your man got fired, man. That’s the real world.”

Stackhouse wasn’t finished.

“New regimes come in and they bring in their people. And change happens,” he said. “And it can happen, especially when you don’t win a game. If I don’t win a game, I don’t know what the hell I’d do. But I couldn’t be mad about nothing. Even in my situation. But that’s what people tried to lose sight of, the reality of where we are.”

Stackhouse wasn’t done shifting the blame. Next up: The “75 million” people who voted for Trump. In other words, Stackhouse seemed to imply, if people are dumb enough to vote for Trump, they’re dumb enough to question his knowledge of basketball. And, oh yeah, if they voted for Trump, they must hate Stackhouse.

“How am I not qualified when I played basketball at the highest level and played under some Hall of Fame coaches?” Stackhouse asked. “I don’t have the acumen to know what I’m looking at? What’s the angst? And it becomes the things we see right in front of us, man.

“All I can say is, 75 million people voted for Trump. That’s all I can say. You ain’t fooling me. I know what it’s about, a lot of you hate everything we did when we came here about the staff, the diversity of the staff, it was this or that. And I like to think I know a little something about building teams and what organizations should look like. I’ve worked and played for some of the best organizations.”

Stackhouse sounds almost like a child here. He is Vanderbilt’s coach. Vanderbilt is bad. Coaches generally take the blame from fans, reporters and administrations when their teams fail. That and that alone is why Vanderbilt supporters are giving Stackhouse grief. If he doesn’t want criticism, the solution is simple: Win some games, man.

Same crap different day. Do not take responsibility for the results you are getting, make up an excuse where it must be because of racism. Oh and all 75M that voted for trump are racist, that has to be the only reason. There is racism in America for sure but you can't blame everything on that. You also can't generalize everyone that voted for Trump as racist. Well I guess you can and the democrats and media are doing so but it does not make it so.

Stackhouse knows basketball but it does not mean he knows how to coach it and get it across to 18-22 year olds. Also does not mean you know how to pull the right strings to get a team playing at a high level. As long as he uses excuses he will not give it everything he has to fix it. Pretty sure a 4-23 record will get anyone fired regardless of your skin color. Happens all the time and more so to white coaches since there are more of those than black coaches.

I guess this is never going to end.

I do not agree with a lot that Trump does or did. He ran his mouth way to much and was self absorbed. Probably had times where he was less than honest and maybe even broke the law or at least skated close to it. I also did not like how he interacted and treated people. However the conservative policies I align with and it is not because I am a racist. Some might say I am but just blind to it because I am conditioned accordingly. Well certainly we have our regional and cultural biases everyone does. That does not mean I can't treat others respectfully and judge them based on their skills and work ethic.

Get results Stackhouse period and your skin color will not be an issue!!!!

One of the few things I appreciate Jeff Goodman's tweeting is his take on former NBA stars getting destroyed as Head Coaches in college hoops. Coaching is not playing... Dues need paid... It's rare to have success in that world without taking steps that only come with experience... Even with talent!

Stack appears to be another one of those NBA guys who doesn't quite "get it". Multi Multi millionaires may not feel the same sense of desperation as the guy who started cutting videos and sending flyers. Juwan Howard at Michigan has been a nice exception this season... But it's been pretty rare.

One of the few things I appreciate Jeff Goodman's tweeting is his take on former NBA stars getting destroyed as Head Coaches in college hoops. Coaching is not playing... Dues need paid... It's rare to have success in that world without taking steps that only come with experience... Even with talent!

Stack appears to be another one of those NBA guys who doesn't quite "get it". Multi Multi millionaires may not feel the same sense of desperation as the guy who started cutting videos and sending flyers. Juwan Howard at Michigan has been a nice exception this season... But it's been pretty rare.

and the remarkable thing about Saban....is making and having money....hasnt made him content and lazy...

And blaming bad performance on Trump supporters should tell you everything about Stack.... he could work harder....put in morehours...develop better relations with high schools......

Following the loss to Kentucky last night. There is nothing that excuses this type of behavior.

With all of the pro's and con's with Cal, if that "peace" sign was really just the #2...as in Vandy's SEC win total?

Damnit Stackhouse! He was my favorite basketball player growing up. Loved the guy. Can't excuse this type of crap though, blaming others and playing the hot hand right now with Trump and racism. Just pathetic.

I'll give him credit, he was an outstanding college and pro player in his prime. So far, the college coaching gig is still up for debate. Don't blame the Republican party or DT for you not having a good product on the floor. In the infamous words of the late Al Davis, "just win baby."

Back
Top Bottom