| FTBL Why doesn't the 1979 national championship team get talked about more?

When it comes to great college football teams, why doesn't the 1979 national championship team get talked about more? Undefeated. They allowed only 67 points all season, an average of 5.6 points per game! The '92 defense gave up a lot more points that the '79 team.

Only twice did a team score more than 10 points against that '79 defense, holding 10 opponents under 10 points in a game! The most points that defense allowed in a game was 18 points and it's not the like offense was pedestrian, they averaged 31.9 points per game.

When it comes to great college football teams, why doesn't the 1979 national championship team get talked about more? Undefeated. They allowed only 67 points all season, an average of 5.6 points per game! The '92 defense gave up a lot more points that the '79 team.

Only twice did a team score more than 10 points against that '79 defense, holding 10 opponents under 10 points in a game! The most points that defense allowed in a game was 18 points and it's not the like offense was pedestrian, they averaged 31.9 points per game.
Most of the members here weren’t alive in 1979. Media broadcasts weren’t every week like they are now so the replays and highlights don’t exist. If you do find video, the wishbone wasn’t an exciting offense (unless you know the exact mechanics of the offense) and passing was at a minimum.

Most of the members here weren’t alive in 1979. Media broadcasts weren’t every week like they are now so the replays and highlights don’t exist. If you do find video, the wishbone wasn’t an exciting offense (unless you know the exact mechanics of the offense) and passing was at a minimum.
That makes perfect sense. I think you nailed it. I've always wondered why 1971 Nebraska isn't higher on a lot of all-time team lists. At one time they were considered amongst the best ever, beating Colorado, Oklahoma and Alabama which all finished in the top four that year. Oklahoma and Alabama were both #2 when Nebraska beat them if I recall and Bear said Nebraska '71 was the best team he ever saw up to that point.

I graduated high school in 1979 and loved Coach Bryant, the bone and our defense. 79 was definitely one of our all time great teams. I agree with some of the others, we have a lot of youngsters on here (40 and under) who were not alive during that run, the internet and easy access to information was decades away from being reality and we only got one college football game a week on ABC with Keith Jackson. A lot has changed over the years with sports.

Last edited:
I was 8 at the time, but listened to BAMA beat the shit out of everybody on Saturday’s!!!
😂😂me too!!!!!!!!
I was 8 would sit with my grandfather and or my dad and listen from start to finish!!! After mine and my brothers games of course. Didn’t catch all, because sometimes the times would coincide but if I wasn’t at the ballpark I was listening for sure

Last edited:
Took my wife , teenage daughter & her friend to the 2014 Chick fil a kickoff vs West Va. My wife got to talking to 2 ladies outside the stadium before the game, and told her I was a life-long Bama fan. They brought their husbands over to meet me. It was Vince Booth & Jim Bunch. I introduced them to my daughter & told her they were anchors on an offensive line that took names & kicked ass all the way to 2 national championships!
They were very humble & nice, classy is the word Coach Bryant would have probably used.

@50+yeartidefan was that Major Ogilvie over top to score? Looks like it was #42. I can't remember what I had for breakfast but I can remember the Bama teams and lots of the players from that era. Graduated high school in 82 so I remember the bear teams of the 70's well.
"Over the top...." and i can't remember nuthin' either...cept ten million bama facts

"Bears major". if you havent seen it..(..plastic covering over mag makes it look funky)

Homewood AL boy if I remember right...i had long moved away

BF616F09-AE61-4D3D-8822-686CC0EA1EF9.jpeg

Speak for yourself there, OldPlayer. I was very much alive in '79 ;)

Back
Top Bottom