| FTBL Whats the scoop on Maze ?

Southern Bama

Verified Member
This guy reminds me so much of Prothro and Palmer... Curious as to why he is not involved more in the game plan... maybe even on some punt / kickoff returns. From the outside looking in, he seems like one heck of an athlete from the little that ive seen of him. Maybe Saban has bigger plans for him.

I think he's gotten behind the defense once in every game and has been under thrown every time.

I would like to see him returning kicks with Javy.

Without being at practice it's hard to know exactly how good he is but I agree with you, he looks like a big time athlete.

I think Maze would be great in the return game, as previously stated.

I would like to see us try a "reverse return" with Arenas and Maze. Maybe break it out later in the season. Why not?

I did think we'd see more of BJ Scott and/or Maze in the UK game with the injury to McCoy.

I'd like to see more of Scott, Maze, Earl Alexander and Will Oakley before the season is over.

~Bryan

Not picking on JPW here, but if Croyle was still the QB right now, Maze would already have 3 touchdown catches. JP doesn't have the arm strength Croyle had which is why Maze isn't more utilized. Maze has incredible break away speed and HAS gotten behind the defense at least 3 times this season.

One was during the Clemson game in which he had to make a leaping catch that was called back. One was during the UGA game in which the UGA defender was called for PI, and one was against Kentucky last week. On all three passes Maze was behind the defense and was either overthrown(Clemson) or underthrown(UGA, Kentucky) and had to slow up for the ball.

It seems like 2008 is the year of the screen pass. Especially in the SEC.

We've seen the screen with Upchurch (and such) but I think using a slip screen with Maze would be a nice look.

UF uses the screen with Percy Harvin every single game.

Screens with Maze will get him more touches and also add a new look to the offense.

~Bryan

RollTide1980 said:
It seems like 2008 is the year of the screen pass. Especially in the SEC.

We've seen the screen with Upchurch (and such) but I think using a slip screen with Maze would be a nice look.

UF uses the screen with Percy Harvin every single game.

Screens with Maze will get him more touches and also add a new look to the offense.

~Bryan

We still haven't seen much of B.J. Scott this year either. I promise you we have some screens to him and probably Maze in this offense, although we haven't showed them yet.

Running the ball as well as we have, I still don't think we've seen all of this offense. I'm hoping if that's the case, we won't have to show anything more than we have before we play LSU.

Im glad I wasnt the only one that felt as I do....It just seems that he is at some point going to have a break-out game and really have a huge impact. Kind of like having a race car in the garage and just moving it onto the driveway to wash it and rev the motor every saturday. Im sure Saban has a plan.

Argo said:
Not picking on JPW here, but if Croyle was still the QB right now, Maze would already have 3 touchdown catches. JP doesn't have the arm strength Croyle had which is why Maze isn't more utilized. Maze has incredible break away speed and HAS gotten behind the defense at least 3 times this season.

One was during the Clemson game in which he had to make a leaping catch that was called back. One was during the UGA game in which the UGA defender was called for PI, and one was against Kentucky last week. On all three passes Maze was behind the defense and was either overthrown(Clemson) or underthrown(UGA, Kentucky) and had to slow up for the ball.

OR comments on balls being over-thrown. :twisted:

Argo said:

Maybe I don't know the routes he runs, but it sure appears he'd be better off with a QB that can get him the ball. JPW can't.

As crazy as our passing game appears some times, I think we might actually have an overabundance of WR's and maybe even RB's!!! No kidding. We've got talented guys that we are wondering why they aren't playing or where they are, and I just think they are mostly playing behind someone else who has done more in game situations.

Anybody offer a different opinion? By the way, I think Maze looks big time, but I thought that Brandon Gibson showed promise too, and I think he's been hurt. Earl Alexander had some big plays last year, but Mike McCoy, injured, was HUGE in the spring game! See what I mean?

BamaDelta said:
Argo said:

Maybe I don't know the routes he runs, but it sure appears he'd be better off with a QB that can get him the ball. JPW can't.

Yet he can get deep balls to Julio from time to time?

Perhaps it has as much to do with the receiver being able to make adjustments on the ball as it does the QB. Not disagreeing really, just saying, Julio can adjust and catch nearly anything in the same zip code. Receivers like Maze have great speed and can get open, but require a quarterback to put it in their shirt pocket to make a catch.

reger60 said:
BamaDelta said:
Argo said:

Yet he can get deep balls to Julio from time to time?

Perhaps it has as much to do with the receiver being able to make adjustments on the ball as it does the QB. Not disagreeing really, just saying, Julio can adjust and catch nearly anything in the same zip code. Receivers like Maze have great speed and can get open, but require a quarterback to put it in their shirt pocket to make a catch.

I agree that sometimes it's the receiver that can't re-route himself, but on two of the passes I'm referring to, Maze had to slow down to catch the pass, which allowed the defenders(who were beat) to catch up with the play. It resulted in a PI in the endzone against UGA, and a pass broken up by Kentucky. Both times though, Maze had the defense beat and had to slow down to catch the ball.

And so we are back to flaming Wilson.

Not flaming JPW at all. Everyone around our program has known JP doesn't have incredible arm strength. Not all QBs do. Doesn't make him a bad quarterback, just means he doesn't have the deep ball.

SemperTide said:
And so we are back to flaming Wilson.

I don't think anyone is flaming JP. The fact is that he isn't great at throwing the long ball, which is fine. Coach Mac knows it and therefore you don't see him throw it deep very often, just enough to keep the defense honest.

IMO JP has adequate arm strength he just uses improper throwing mechanics when throwing the deep ball. He takes too long of a stride with his left foot, which keeps his weight from moving from his back foot to his front, and doesn't allow his hips and shoulders to rotate properly. Which is why his deep throws are all arm and no body, meaning he has to put too much air under the ball resulting in under throwing his receivers. It also shows just how strong his arm is that he can throw the ball 50 yards with pretty much just his arm. For the record his footwork has gotten much better this year but you can't just rework his entire throwing mechanics without a lot of time.

With that being said I'd rank JP at #3 in the SEC and the gap between #3 and #4 is huge.

i don't know that arm strength has been the problem for JPW this year. without going too far into it, he's also overthrown several this year that were in the same range as those underthrown so... i think the kid can easily throw the ball 55-60 yards in the air without having to try too hard. that's plenty long of a pass imho. now... let's learn how to complete that range of a pass and it's on to the NC game!

Southern Bama said:
How did this get put on JPW's shoulders????? Yes he missed Maze a couple of times but........Doesnt explain Mazes lack of involvement...

How does it not explain Maze's lack of involvement? They aren't throwing to him as much as Julio, but there's a reason for it. Watch Maze's routes when he is in the game. No posts, curls or outs. The only time JP has thrown to him is when he has been on a fly route, deep down field. Maze is a speeed guy and we aren't going to throw 5-20 yard passes to him when we have Nick Walker, Julio and McCoy who can all break tackles and get more yards.

As for why Maze hasn't seen a screen play yet...have we even thrown an underneath screen yet? I know we've hit the runningbacks with a few screens, but I don't recall one to a wide receiver.

jdpas29 said:
i don't know that arm strength has been the problem for JPW this year. without going too far into it, he's also overthrown several this year that were in the same range as those underthrown so... i think the kid can easily throw the ball 55-60 yards in the air without having to try too hard. that's plenty long of a pass imho. now... let's learn how to complete that range of a pass and it's on to the NC game!

I don't think JP can throw it an inch past 50 yards, but I may be wrong. The problem may be JP not seeing the downfield pass open in enough time to get it out. I'm not sure.

Either way, as long as we are running the ball we don't need the deep pass. A 20-30 yard route to Julio or McCoy is enough when our offense is clicking. It's already been mentioned in this thread, but JP is more of a west coast style QB, which is why we haven't seen the deep ball a lot this year.

Back
Top Bottom