| FTBL What say you? O'Brien's game: play calling and from where.

I'll admit it was a shock when I saw that OB (you catch Bryce call him that?) was calling the game from the box. 20/20 hindsight today I think he did a pretty good job.

I guess he's more comfortable up there than on the field?

I think it is about the comfort level for the OC and QB. How confident is O’Brien with Bryce and then how much confidence does CNS have with O’Brien being upstairs. Just go back over the years and take a look. Applewhite, McElwain, Nussmeier were upstairs while Kiffin was downstairs then Locksley upstairs, to back on the field for Sark. Also, some coaches just have a better feel for the game and flow being on the field, while others don’t want to be distracted so it’s the isolation of the box.
I thought O’Brien called a good game and gave Bryce plays to give him early success to set the tone.

It definitely wasn't wide open like in year's past, but it was pretty efficient. We owned the entire field and got what we needed. What looked like two yards from my seat was a six yard gain. We saw Bryce miss a few open guys and a couple of times he could easily have ran for ten to fiteen yards, but threw it away. I don't hold that against O'Brien and think Bryce will see that moving forward as he settles in. Our receivers were all over the place and open, so that is a nice look for the OC. Not gonna be taking what we want like last season, but we almost look to that point. Never in my life have I ever come across an offense where I felt we could get every first down and score every possession like last year's team. That's a tough act to follow and takes some getting used to.

I thought he did a doggone good job. We weren't slinging it all over the field like in the past, but I'm a big run the ball kinda guy. As far as where he is calling the plays from, I don't care if he's chugging beers and smoking weed in the parking lot as long as we win

It definitely wasn't wide open like in year's past, but it was pretty efficient. We owned the entire field and got what we needed. What looked like two yards from my seat was a six yard gain. We saw Bryce miss a few open guys and a couple of times he could easily have ran for ten to fiteen yards, but threw it away. I don't hold that against O'Brien and think Bryce will see that moving forward as he settles in. Our receivers were all over the place and open, so that is a nice look for the OC. Not gonna be taking what we want like last season, but we almost look to that point. Never in my life have I ever come across an offense where I felt we could get every first down and score every possession like last year's team. That's a tough act to follow and takes some getting used to.
Said it a lot better than I could have.

I had to deprogram my mind from last year... This is a rookie QB in his first start, so of course it wasn't going to be as smooth as last year with Mac & Sark hitting the ground running. As the game went on it looked pretty darn good though, on all fronts. What I was really looking at was the pre snap & timing stuff leading up to the play, and Bryce seemed to have a really good feel for most of it. The actual plays seemed just fine, nothing stood out to me negatively at all yesterday.

In terms of OB calling the plays from upstairs, more power to him. These NFL dudes bring a whole different perspective and level of experience, so whatever makes them comfortable is cool. I believe McElwain was in the box with AJ as well.

Fantastic job. Great mix of run and pass, same use of formations, 6 OL, unbalanced sets, Orbit motion, and the same type of play action as the Sark offense. Great levels concepts in the passing game to get guys wide open.

As time goes, and with Bryce's ability to execute RPOs, look for more of those. Bryce's legs will benefit the offense not only there, but his uncanny ability to just slide 2 steps laterally while keeping eyes downfield and delivering to his receivers.

There were a couple plays that I thought”what the hell”. But BY was pretty comfortable and the flow was good.
I agree. It looks like same offense last year, but we're just executing it in a different way. BOB did great job, it was extremely balanced. 39 pass plays, 38 rushing plays. The TOP was nice.

we need to clean up on third downs: 10/16 is nice, but we had way too many third downs.

BY has lot to work on, and i am confident he'll get there. Missed open reads, chance to take off and run... I suspect that will come later (sec schedule)

Back
Top Bottom