| FTBL What element must improve from last year & why?

It is fair to say that the coaching element has been upgraded at this point...no need to eleborate about that :p. But what about the team itself? And why?

My two cents worth:

A TIE between :arrow: Better Attitudes & O-line play.

First, I cannot attest to how dedicated these guys were to practice & keeping focused during the game. I'm not there on the sidelines or in the huddle (duh). But I did see tongues dragging & a whole lot of crazy celebration (usually on the D-side) when it just wasn't warranted. Hopefully CNS 4-quarter program will take care of most of it.

My biggest thing about players is that I want people who have bigger heart than talent :arrow: they are the folks who win the closely/evenly matched games.

Second, the O-line execution had a few bright spots but let me stress...a few. O-line execution was the # 1 reason why we had redzone problems. Ya see, if a O-line is dominant they can move the ball no matter where they are on the feild... it is that simple. If a team will not respect our run game, well they prepare for the pass & that makes scoring w/ the pass much more tougher in the red zone than any where else. We all know that we could move the ball to the redzone at will w/ most folks but once we reached that opponents 20, ;sh .

This will be the real test to me about CNS coaching caliber along w/ the O-line coach. CNS has the same guys from last year. If we see great improvement then I will feel real good about the long & short term of CNS tenure.

Thats my take on things, what about you?

I can't speak toward to the team's attitude.

First, the rushing game must improve. More O-line aggressiveness, in technique and in play, should help. In Grant (and others), we'll have a back who is quicker and more aggressive in hitting holes. Combine those improvements with a proven passing game that will keep a D on its heels, and our offense should be much improved.

Second, we must have improved play (conditioning and dominance) on the defensive line.

Punting must improve. I'm excited about our return guys.

RTR,

Tim

Offensively we must get better control of the line of scrimmage, which boils down to O-Line play..I think this will improve greatly in the next few years as our younder linemen begin to get some experience...we've had good recruiting classes the last 2 years, but those guys are still young.

Defensively we have got to get more pressure on the QB. Our defense last year was more about gap control, and often times our 3 d-linemen were left with the responsibility of getting to the QB...and to add to this problem, our DE's aren't neccisarily built to be pass rushers

On ST both our punter and kickers must improve - kicking cost us last year (Arkansas)...we just need more consistancy in these guys

BamaFan14 said:
Offensively we must get better control of the line of scrimmage, which boils down to O-Line play..I think this will improve greatly in the next few years as our younder linemen begin to get some experience...we've had good recruiting classes the last 2 years, but those guys are still young.

Defensively we have got to get more pressure on the QB. Our defense last year was more about gap control, and often times our 3 d-linemen were left with the responsibility of getting to the QB...and to add to this problem, our DE's aren't neccisarily built to be pass rushers

BF14 hit it on the head. CSS replayed the 06 Bama/Auburn game last night, and I tried, but just couldn't watch very long. The O-Line was just horrible. D-line couldn't get any penetration and Lester(I think that was the AU RB) was running all over us. If we can shore up these positions, we should see a HUGE improvement, so our playmakers can really excel.

What's ironic...

..everything mentioned in this thread comes back to one thing, coaching.

There were some players with attitude problems. With the right coach, it never would have happened.

Rushing = O line play which again leads right back to coaching.

Some point to the record over the last few years with no wins if we were tied or trailing in the 4th.

The most glaring number in my opinion is this.

There wasn't a team in the SEC that were in the red zone more than we were last season. Two tied with us at 57 times.

Coaching - Tired of the cameras focused in on our coach during a critical third down play and he is still thumbing through the play book.

Annoyed that everyone in the nation looking at out formation and knowing what we are going to run on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down on the goal line. Even with a strong o-line, it is still difficult to execute when the defense knows exactly what you are going to do.

Pressure on the QB - I know we played mostly coverage last year (and had some picks, not knocking it), but I hope for some stunts and the blitzes that actually work. Gilberry can not do it all himself.

I can think of a few more, but enjoy reading the responses on here.

Moving the ball deep IMO Oline has to block! No one ever says crap about the line untill things get bad.

We need a playmaker who can be a threat. I'm not sure we have that right now.

Play action! I'd love to see us use the tide end heheh

I'm no coach nor calm to be, but I do feel last year we had limited running game which limited our passing game to little. So most teams again IMO would stack the box and make us throw cause we could not hold them out.

Play calling was at times last year really bad in some games. This too could help us improve our chances of winning.

I would have to say finishing the game is the most important element. We fizzled out way too many times in the fourth quarter. Strength and conditioning was sub par at best. As the season went on we got worse, most teams see improvement as the season ends.

Strength and conditioning would be among my greatest concerns. I have never saw a college football team in such bad shape. Prince Hall was a freakin' linebacker ( a young one at that) and had a gut. Think what those pounds in muscle would do for him. I think the O-line will be good.....bery good. Notice how Andre Smith did pretty good last year? That's most likely because he was falling back on his HS coaching and Shula's staff had not ruined him yet.

For the team as a whole, 4th quarter play has to get a lot better. As recently as the Stallings years we owned the 4th quarter because we wore down the opposition with our physical play.

If our offensive line had been even SEC average last year we would have put up two or three more wins. When we can't just line up and blow Duke or Central Florida off the line of scrimmage in the red zone that says worlds about the quality of our o-line play.

So better conditioning and improved o-line play are the two keys to me.

I think everything mentioned in this thread we could and need to improve on. But most important (imo) would be O-line. That will help the running game and give JPW time in the pocket. He is very acurate when given time. Also, I think we need to improve on the "big play". You know, those two or three plays a game (offensively speaking) that can break it open, we need to convert on those instead of missing the play by inches.

bamascw said:
I think everything mentioned in this thread we could and need to improve on. But most important (imo) would be O-line. That will help the running game and give JPW time in the pocket. He is very acurate when given time. Also, I think we need to improve on the "big play". You know, those two or three plays a game (offensively speaking) that can break it open, we need to convert on those instead of missing the play by inches.[/quote]

I think improving blocking downfield by the WR's and RB's will make this possible. I remember interviews with DJ Hall in the spring that mentioned the new coaching staff was very big on this.

Bama1966 said:
I would have to say finishing the game is the most important element. We fizzled out way too many times in the fourth quarter. Strength and conditioning was sub par at best. As the season went on we got worse, most teams see improvement as the season ends.
Bingo! That's the first thing that came into my mind when I read the post. Fourth Quarter play must improve.

BamaBullies said:
Strength and conditioning would be among my greatest concerns. I have never saw a college football team in such bad shape. Prince Hall was a freakin' linebacker ( a young one at that) and had a gut. Think what those pounds in muscle would do for him. I think the O-line will be good.....bery good. Notice how Andre Smith did pretty good last year? That's most likely because he was falling back on his HS coaching and Shula's staff had not ruined him yet.

bamascw said:
I think everything mentioned in this thread we could and need to improve on. But most important (imo) would be O-line. That will help the running game and give JPW time in the pocket. He is very acurate when given time. Also, I think we need to improve on the "big play". You know, those two or three plays a game (offensively speaking) that can break it open, we need to convert on those instead of missing the play by inches.

I'm assuming the picture is of your son.

I know this is off topic, but if you haven't seen the movie, "Hearts in Atlantis" rent it. He looks just like one of the main characters.

Offense wins you games...defense wins you championships. D-line must do their job to put pressure on the quarterback but with us knowing Nick Sabans' defense, they will get plenty of help which leads to my next point, one-on-one coverages. With the exception of Simeon, our corners and safeties need to do a better job of covering receivers individually. I noticed that during the season and spring game.

MDBtrumpet04 said:
Offense wins you games...defense wins you championships. D-line must do their job to put pressure on the quarterback but with us knowing Nick Sabans' defense, they will get plenty of help which leads to my next point, one-on-one coverages. With the exception of Simeon, our corners and safeties need to do a better job of covering receivers individually. I noticed that during the season and spring game.

I think it's important to realize we'll have to win some of those crutch games with the offense this upcoming season.

It doesn't bother me, but I have to admit, I'd much rather see a 6-3 win than a 45-38 type of game.

Back
Top Bottom