| FOOD Well, maybe good eatin'? Mac and his wife launching their own BBQ sauce.

TerryP

Staff
Florida coach Jim McElwain and his wife, Karen, have their own barbecue sauce recipe. If you’re going to UF’s game against No. 23 Tennessee on Saturday in Gainesville (3:30 p.m. ET, CBS), you’ll be able to buy it. If you’re not, it’ll probably be in stores soon anyway.

The Gainesville Sun reports that the McElwains’ special BBQ sauce is making its public debut at “selected concession stands” at the Swamp “and will soon be marketed at Gainesville stores with an eye toward expansion statewide and nationwide.”

Jim McElwain started making the sauce in 1988, when he was an Eastern Washington graduate assistant. As he’s traversed the coaching world from stop to stop, he’s added little things to the sauce here and there, the paper says. It’s evolved over time:

Today, it is known as Mombo3 sauce, with the “Mom” part of the name being a tribute to Jim McElwain’s mother and the number standing for the McElwain children.​

“When I think of the sauce I think of friends and family and being in a good place,” the Florida head coach said. “There’s a lot of love in that sauce.”

McElwain’s coached at EWU, Montana State, Louisville, Michigan State, the Oakland Raiders, Fresno State, Alabama, and Colorado State, where he was the head coach after a stint as the Tide’s offensive coordinator. That’s a lot of geographic influence.

A business partner describes the sauce as “perfume for the mouth. Sweet at first, then tangy and finally a kick at the end,” the Sun reports. Again, there’s more here.

If I know anything about McElwain, it’s that this sauce tastes like a knockoff of former boss Nick Saban’s sauce. But it’s probably just not the same.

Jim McElwain sauce: Florida coach, wife selling special BBQ sauce - SBNation.com

AR-170918831.jpg

Back
Top Bottom