| GAME THREAD 🏈 WEEK 13: NCAA / SEC Games of the Week~

Maybe I've heard this before. Probably. But seeing the name SunFlower Showdown through me for a loop. Did you know the annual Kansas vs Kansas State game went by that moniker?

I see it applies to basketball as well and I KNOW I've watched the two teams play.

Now, I have heard Governor's Cup before.

The Sunflower Showdown is the series of athletic contests between Kansas State University and the University of Kansas athletic programs, most notably football and men's basketball. The name is derived from the official nickname for the state of Kansas: the Sunflower State.

The two schools compete each year for the Governor's Cup in football. The football series dates back to 1902, and has been played every year since 1911, making it the fourth-longest active series in NCAA college football.[A 1] The University of Kansas built a large advantage in the series by 1923, and leads the overall series 64–50–5 or 65–49–5 (depending on whether a 1980 forfeit by KU is counted)[1] as of the end of the 2021 season.

When someone gets hurt and sue the school and conference. Then we may see something done. But it may take a few people getting hurt before it every end.

Back
Top Bottom