| FTBL We Want...The Backup Quarterback

BamaFan334

Just wanted to make a comment about a lot of the negativity on here about Bryce Young this season. While I clearly see some room for growth in areas (he is a redshirt Freshman after all), I am more than happy what he has brought to this program.

I started this thread only to bring into question...Would you rather have Bryce or would you rather have the Heisman Trophy frontrunner and #1 quarterback on every draft board Spencer Rattler? Would you rather have Bryce or would you rather have the guy many felt is the #1 quarterback in next years class that has size and the arm talent over Bryce, DJ Uiagalelei?

Both of these quarterbacks have underperformed this season against very subpar competition. Clemson flirted with fire two weeks in a row and finally got burnt again. Oklahoma is destined to be next. I think they lose to Texas now that Sarkesian finally went with the better quarterback. Their fans were chanting his backups name last game because they are tired of Rattler's ineptness this season. These are two of the best in the country believe it or not. I'm not even bringing into the conversation the pathetic Baker Mayfield lookalike, Sam Howell.

In the end, we realize Miami sucks, but Bryce went into Gainesville, early in the year, and played well enough to earn us a victory without turning the ball over. None of these other guys can say the same thing. he's our guy, I'm glad he's our guy, and he will only continue to improve as he sees more on the field. Roll Tide.

Agreed... Bryce is already showing quick improvements and has a great vibe as a calm/humble/confident leader. Going to be a fun 2 years!

Speaking of backups - How long until Jalen Milroe get's that nod? If BY ever goes down, I would be surprised if it wasn't him or some type of dual QB system... JMO

Agreed... Bryce is already showing quick improvements and has a great vibe as a calm/humble/confident leader. Going to be a fun 2 years!

Speaking of backups - How long until Jalen Milroe get's that nod? If BY ever goes down, I would be surprised if it wasn't him or some type of dual QB system... JMO

I would want to go with him immediately. Tyson just doesn't show it on the field or appear to command the offense. Milroe, while still green, has a burst and physically looks the part. he's like 6'2-6'3 220 I believe.

Bryce Young has been fantastic. He's not just great for a first year starter, he's one of the best QBs in the country. The offense has unlimited potential with Bryce at the helm.

I'd still like to see a short yardage "Wildcat" package with Milroe for games like this weekend. You get to play 11 on 11 football and pick up critical first downs without getting Bryce hit.

I'd still like to see a short yardage "Wildcat" package with Milroe for games like this weekend. You get to play 11 on 11 football and pick up critical first downs without getting Bryce hit.

You probably know this, not a big secret at this point, but it's there. Question is, when will Saban green light it? In the past they've had fairly extensive packages for other guys (most recently Slade Bolden) and he's either kept it in his pocket or used very little of it. But, Milroe brings a bit more to the table too with what he can do... so I think we see it in a big situation(s) sooner than later. His TD pass the other night was a nice display of what he can do with that arm too. Dude is still raw, but has a ton of ability and the ceiling is high.

You probably know this, not a big secret at this point, but it's there. Question is, when will Saban green light it? In the past they've had fairly extensive packages for other guys (most recently Slade Bolden) and he's either kept it in his pocket or used very little of it. But, Milroe brings a bit more to the table too with what he can do... so I think we see it in a big situation(s) sooner than later. His TD pass the other night was a nice display of what he can do with that arm too. Dude is still raw, but has a ton of ability and the ceiling is high.

I do recall you and Terry saying it is in the playbook. As you mentioned, the offense went to it with Josh Jacobs as the Wildcat, then Slade last year.

Milroe could do what Slade did but better (he's bigger and faster, and an actual QB).

3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 (or 4th down) will be absolutely crucial this weekend. If the offense can be helped by Milroe in the Wildcat (gives you an extra blocker), it's time to use it.

There is a reason Saban put Milroe in and ran him twice and let him throw. Kiffin will have that to look at. Period

Not just Kiffin... That laser TD pass was spectacular.

As to the subject of the thread. I'd take Bryce Young today & twice on Saturday's. He is truly a rare talent. Now if the rest of the team can play up to their potential then we'd see some really fun stuff over the next 2 years.

As you mentioned, the offense went to it with Josh Jacobs as the Wildcat, then Slade last year.

They had a neat package(s) with Waddle that we never got to fully enjoy, which on one hand sucks because it would have been fun to see, but also it's nice I guess in the sense that it was never really needed with that offense (plus he got hurt of course).

BY is special and I wouldn’t want Rattler or Howell or any other QB out there in his place. It’s been said a few times that BOB has a different playbook for each of his QBs and the package for Milroe has got to be more than a headache for DCs to deal with down the road.

They had a neat package(s) with Waddle that we never got to fully enjoy, which on one hand sucks because it would have been fun to see, but also it's nice I guess in the sense that it was never really needed with that offense (plus he got hurt of course).
Yeah, and I really was looking forward to that. Smith should split that Heisman in half, cause when Waddle went down it was up to Smitty. I dont think Smith would of got that Heisman without Waddle getting hurt.

Just wanted to make a comment about a lot of the negativity on here about Bryce Young this season. While I clearly see some room for growth in areas (he is a redshirt Freshman after all), I am more than happy what he has brought to this program.

I started this thread only to bring into question...Would you rather have Bryce or would you rather have the Heisman Trophy frontrunner and #1 quarterback on every draft board Spencer Rattler? Would you rather have Bryce or would you rather have the guy many felt is the #1 quarterback in next years class that has size and the arm talent over Bryce, DJ Uiagalelei?

Both of these quarterbacks have underperformed this season against very subpar competition. Clemson flirted with fire two weeks in a row and finally got burnt again. Oklahoma is destined to be next. I think they lose to Texas now that Sarkesian finally went with the better quarterback. Their fans were chanting his backups name last game because they are tired of Rattler's ineptness this season. These are two of the best in the country believe it or not. I'm not even bringing into the conversation the pathetic Baker Mayfield lookalike, Sam Howell.

In the end, we realize Miami sucks, but Bryce went into Gainesville, early in the year, and played well enough to earn us a victory without turning the ball over. None of these other guys can say the same thing. he's our guy, I'm glad he's our guy, and he will only continue to improve as he sees more on the field. Roll Tide.
I dont know there is a lot of criticism on BY....
Looks damn good to me...yeah...he could have run a couple times for frs downs...once for TD....but looks like he is doing as coached...
Pretty awesome to me
I dont want to see backup QB....i want him healthy thru season...
That may mean....not running

Bryce is a true sophomore, not a redshirt sophomore.

Aww man, I love hearing about the top secret stuff.

If it's something I know about, then they are doing a real shitty job of keeping it top secret. :laugh:

In re: to the Milroe package, if you watched the broadcast of the Miami game, even Todd Blackledge alluded to it. He more than likely saw it that week at a practice when in town to visit the staff (they usually get to watch the whole practice unlike other media), but he was at the very least told about it by someone... because he 100% knew based on the way he worded his comment.

If it's something I know about, then they are doing a real shitty job of keeping it top secret. :laugh:

In re: to the Milroe package, if you watched the broadcast of the Miami game, even Todd Blackledge alluded to it. He more than likely saw it that week at a practice when in town to visit the staff (they usually get to watch the whole practice unlike other media), but he was at the very least told about it by someone... because he %100 knew based on the way he worded his comment.

Well I had heard about Milroe and Tyson having packages. I was eluding to Waddle having one last year. I did not know that.

I dont know there is a lot of criticism on BY....
Looks damn good to me...yeah...he could have run a couple times for frs downs...once for TD....but looks like he is doing as coached...
Pretty awesome to me
I dont want to see backup QB....i want him healthy thru season...
That may mean....not running

Plenty of criticism about his arm strength, leadership, and his decision making. A lot been said about him since the first game on here.

Back
Top Bottom