| FTBL We need to talk about what defending D2 National Champions Harding University is doing. They are currently 5-0.

That sounds incestuous.
It does sound odd. But two completely different situations. Current coach’s wife didn’t go to Harding, she met him after he graduated. I believe he had been a star player for them. He’s done really well there as the head coach.

Mom graduated from Harding back around 1965. I don’t believe they had football when she was there, but I don’t really know. My grandparents were big supporters of that school and had given chunks of money to them over the years. Small religious school.

I believe they were a member of the Gulf South Conference at one time. I am not sure about now. North Alabama, Jacksonville St., and Troy are former members.
I had to read up on this a bit. Yes, they were Gulf South from 2000-2010, then to Great American upon is formation of Arkansas and Oklahoma teams. Someone has invested some time with their team's Wiki article, very well done:

The Gulf South has a special place in my heart, with its rich history of Alabama small school football. Livingston (West Alabama) and Delta State are the only two left from the original 1970 members that included Jax State, Florence State (North Alabama), UT-Martin and Troy. As a kid, with the limited access to national games we had then, I followed that league. One of my coaches was Roger Hibbs, who starred at Jax State, had various degrees of success as a coach (won State at Crossville) but had a huge influence on me.

RTR,

Tim

On the Jax State side of things, my coach played with Dieter Brock. Said he was the strongest player on the team, could do pullovers with 225 on the bar. He was rumored to be able to throw a football over ninety yards. After throwing for over 30,000 yards in the CFL, he started for the Rams as a 34 year old rookie. The guy had an arm for sure.

I had to read up on this a bit. Yes, they were Gulf South from 2000-2010, then to Great American upon is formation of Arkansas and Oklahoma teams. Someone has invested some time with their team's Wiki article, very well done:

The Gulf South has a special place in my heart, with its rich history of Alabama small school football. Livingston (West Alabama) and Delta State are the only two left from the original 1970 members that included Jax State, Florence State (North Alabama), UT-Martin and Troy. As a kid, with the limited access to national games we had then, I followed that league. One of my coaches was Roger Hibbs, who starred at Jax State, had various degrees of success as a coach (won State at Crossville) but had a huge influence on me.

RTR,

Tim
I forgot about UT Martin, Delta St. and Livingston. Attended a lot of Florence St/ UNA games growing up in Florence at Braly Stadium. Good memories.

Back
Top Bottom