| FTBL Watch Auburn Students Present Alabama, Nick Saban With Iron Bowl Trophy & Sing 'yea Alabama'

Nick Saban and the Alabama football team took center court on Saturday night as student leaders from Auburn sung "Yea Alabama" in front of the sellout crowd at Coleman Coliseum for the men's basketball game between the bitter rivals.

Before singing the Crimson Tide's fight song to the 2014 Iron Bowl winners at halftime, Auburn's Student Government Association president presented the 66th James E. Foy, V-ODK Sportsmanship Trophy to Saban and company. It marked the fifth time in the last seven years that the trophy has gone to Alabama.

The annual award, which is sponsored by the school's Omicron Delta Kappa circles, symbolizes a good relationship between the two programs, despite their heated rivalry.

In 1978, the trophy was dedicated to James E. Foy, who graduated from Alabama and spent nearly 30 years severing as Auburn's Dean of Student Affairs.

It is tradition that the ODK president from the losing school goes on the road to present the trophy to the ODK president from the opposing school and the Iron Bowl winners during halftime of the men's basketball game between the two schools.

The signing of the rival's fight song is also a part of the storied tradition.

The Crimson Tide also won the rivalry basketball game on Saturday night, 57-55.

Continue reading...

Details on the basketball game here.

I know the timing would have been tight, EXTREMELY tight, with the Senior Bowl kicking off at 3PM and the basketball game tipping 7:30, but I still wonder if any of the guys that played in Mobile made it back to Tuscaloosa for the halftime presentation.

I doubt it was feasible, hell, possible, unless they were pushing 100mph on the highway. The ODK trophy presentation really doesn't mean squat to me...but, I'd imagine it does to some of the players. It's too bad they missed out.

I thought he did a good job with it. Got too be tough. Imagine what it would be like to have to go too their place and sing their fight song.

oh, i had that in mind as well. and there's no way i'd ever sing their song; good sportsmanship be damned. i guess i'm just too much of an ALABAMA fan.

Back
Top Bottom