| FTBL USF coach bristles at Saban's comments

Truth hurts I guess, lol

I think USF is very deservedly in the top ten and probably should be in the top 5. but yeah a lot of their players won't qualify at other schools.. what the big deal... these kids are still in college getting educations.. I think Saban proably could have left that alone... but oh well.

I don't know enough to comment however Mike Ford does come to mind. Did the Devine kid at West Virginia have similar issues?

The Big East's standards are different and less stringent than others. If it's not giving the Big East an advantage it will at some point.

The NCAA should have the same standards for each conference, period. If independents such as Notre Dame want to have tougher standards then fine, but conferences should be the same.

BAMAFSTBACK said:
Mike Ford was running his ass off for South Florida the other day. Someone refresh my memory as to why he didn't come to Alabama?

Did you read the rest of this thread because it's for the very reasons stated above. ;scr

He could not meet the academic requirements to enroll at an SEC school so he had to head to the Big East.

That whole thing still has me scratching my head. How some conferences can take props and others can't. Who makes that decision? Is it an NCAA thing or a conference one?

porkchop said:
That whole thing still has me scratching my head. How some conferences can take props and others can't. Who makes that decision? Is it an NCAA thing or a conference one?

I'm very certain that the NCAA has a level that a student must meet then the Conference can either maintain that level or raise it. The SEC has raised it... which is fine by me.

Crimson&WhiteGecko said:
porkchop said:

I'm very certain that the NCAA has a level that a student must meet then the Conference can either maintain that level or raise it. The SEC has raised it... which is fine by me.

Yeah I agree Gecko. I would rather have the higher standards too, but losing players like Ford to other schools sure does sting too. Especially when they're playing well. :(

South Florida coach Jim Leavitt was not amused by Monday's comments from Alabama coach Nick Saban linking the rapid rise of Big East programs like USF to less-stringent academic standards.

Nick Saban = G R E AAA TTTTT

not sure if that how Tony Tiger spells it!!?? :D

Dang, don't you hate it when coaches tell the truth? It's common sense that the academic standards are lower in the Big East. They simply can not hide that. :roll:

Academic standards should be set high and the student athlete should concentrate on the REAL priorities in order to succeed in life.

Yet a team, company, or any organizational entity which becomes successful knows that every component within the structure starting from the maintenance crew all the way through the upper eschelons of management are contributors...

So I wonder, shouldn't the business of college football and every conference within that framework be on a universally level playing field? Same standards for all! Would the Ivy league be the same as the Pac10 or SEC, or the Big East I mean can they really be?

If the education system fails the student as they do in every state here in America. Should that very same student who just happens to be gifted on the athletic side, not be allowed to do what he does best due to his lower academic levels? If you deprive him of this opportunity what recourse do you leave to him? Consider 5-10 in the State pen for some felony... What would the odds be on that outcome?

The NCAA needs to restructure its policies universally.

ignorance is bliss

I love it when coaches tell the truth. Saban not going to Alabama? Did any of you read the retort by Leavitt?

Mike Ford paid the price for not being academically eligible by playing in a postgraduate program. Then when he did qualify he spurned Alabama for USF because of Shula. Sounds like sour grapes by Tide fans.

Unfortunately, you are incorrect and bitter about a loss to FSU. Since when do Alabama fans even talk about USF? Worry about making it through the season without 4 losses.

My neighbor and I were discussing this the other day. I don't think it's right or fair for the NCAA to set one set of academic standards and the SEC to set theirs higher. Look at this example. A few years ago the NCAA mandated that media guides had to be reduced in size because the smaller schools couldn't compete with the Alabamas and Auburns of the world. The NCAA said this gave the big schools an unfair advantage in recruiting. By allowing some schools/conferences to have lower academic standards, isn't this giving those schools an unfair advantage. Personally, I'm all for higher standards, but it should across the board that ALL schools have to raise standards.

You keep using the term “truth” rather liberally there sport. The TRUTH is that Shula recruited Ford and Ford committed to him. Why would he be the reason for Ford not coming here? The TRUTH is that even after a year of Jr College, Ford still didn’t have the grades to enroll at a SEC school so he HAD to go to the Big East. The TRUTH is that most guys would rather spend a year in Junior College than think of the horror that would be playing 4 years at USF. The TRUTH is that USF has built a team of extreme academic casualties like Ford and if not for the lower standards of the Big East, they would only have one win right now. The TRUTH is you are still bitter your team lost to USF. The TRUTH is, you Barners obsess over Bama way too much rather than focusing on your own team. I guess it’s my turn to apologize for the truth.

RollTideRandy said:
BAMAFSTBACK said:
Mike Ford was running his ass off for South Florida the other day. Someone refresh my memory as to why he didn't come to Alabama?

Did you read the rest of this thread because it's for the very reasons stated above. ;scr

He could not meet the academic requirements to enroll at an SEC school so he had to head to the Big East.

I was using sarcasm. dripping with it in fact.

Sorry, but I was listening to Cowturd at lunch, and he was bashing Saban and Alabama and the whole SEC because of the remark. He was downgrading us compared to Harvard and Duke and Standford, saying that none of our guys could make it in one of those schools.

Then some barner or Dolphin fan called in and said, "hey, you know, if you spellcheck Saban in Word, the first option you get is Satan..." Cowturd thought that was hysterical. I guess he doesn't realize that if you spell check Cowherd it comes back as coward. What an idiot!

c5vetman said:
Sorry, but I was listening to Cowturd at lunch, and he was bashing Saban and Alabama and the whole SEC because of the remark. He was downgrading us compared to Harvard and Duke and Standford, saying that none of our guys could make it in one of those schools.

Then some barner or Dolphin fan called in and said, "hey, you know, if you spellcheck Saban in Word, the first option you get is Satan..." Cowturd thought that was hysterical. I guess he doesn't realize that if you spell check Cowherd it comes back as coward. What an idiot!

More fuel for his fire. :roll: Last I checked we lead in the battle vs. Harvard. Remember that commercial regarding the USA Today academic All-Americans? We're #1 over the past 5 years in fact!

http://www.ua.edu/features/allusa.html

BamaDelta said:
More fuel for his fire. :roll: Last I checked we lead in the battle vs. Harvard. Remember that commercial regarding the USA Today academic All-Americans? We're #1 in fact!

I was thinking that very same thing. Not only are we #1, we've been #1 at least 2 out of the last 3 years. I think that was even true the years I was a student there. And we're always ranked in the top public universities. He needs to get his facts straight before he starts having diarrhea of the mouth!

Back
Top Bottom