US Highway 331 - Alabama

I'm driving to Sandestin, FL from Byron, GA on Thursday & I'm trying to figure out the best route to take. The drive from Byron to Montgomery is a fantastic drive but I'd have to take 331 South but I've never been on that road. I understand it takes me through a few small towns and such but is it a lot of stop & go stuff.

Anyway, for those of you who have driven 331 & live around it, would you take 331 S from Montgomery & expect easy going traffic. Please help...

Thanks!

It has been several years, but if memory serves me correct, it's not too bad. Hit Luverne around lunch time and go to Ann's or Annie's. I can't remember the name exactly, but I remember the fried porkchops were awesome. It is right there on 331.

I'm driving to Sandestin, FL from Byron, GA on Thursday & I'm trying to figure out the best route to take. The drive from Byron to Montgomery is a fantastic drive but I'd have to take 331 South but I've never been on that road. I understand it takes me through a few small towns and such but is it a lot of stop & go stuff.

Anyway, for those of you who have driven 331 & live around it, would you take 331 S from Montgomery & expect easy going traffic. Please help...

Thanks!

It's a good drive, but don't chance it on fuel, and make sure you stay close to speed limit in the rural towns. They'll light you up in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the stuff Argo.

Any others?

I should have added, two lane road most of the way with plenty of spots to pass slower traffic. Very few red lights until you get close to Florala. And don't let the palm trees fool you in Florala, you'll still have a good drive to San Destin.

You will encounter the occasional stop sign in the small towns, but not really a lot of stop and go stuff. I haven't been down there in a while, so I'm not sure about any road construction.

And I'm serious about the local cops. They'll sit at speed changing zones coming out of curves.

Last edited:
It's not a bad drive, particularly in off season. If you're driving from I-85 to 331 South, I recommend staying on I-85 to I-65 South, left on South Boulevard and right on 331 south. I don't recommend working around the Eastern and Southern Impass. Once you pass Igor's, the whole of south Montgomery is crap.

As another dining alternative, I recommend the Chicken Shack in Luverne. It's a meat and three with good food (the fried chicken's great), and the burgers are very good, too. If the timing doesn't work out and it doesn't matter where you eat, I recommend It Don't Matter in Highland Home. It's on my all-name (but not all-quality) list.

RTR,

Tim

As far as 331 goes the traffic is usually easy. There will always be the occasional slow driver but there are passing lanes and places to pass. I've driven and traveled this road since I was a little kid being I have family in Opp and Florala. 331 to me is the worst and most boring part of the trip from Ga.

Like Argo said, DO THE SPEED LIMIT IN THE SMALL TOWNS. There are several of them and it's tempting, don't do it!

I won't get into 331 on a rainy night...:shock:

Have a safe trip!

Love that stretch of road. used to travel it often from MGM to Andalusia to see my grand parents.

BRANTLEY IS A SPEED TRAP!!!

After a zillion years, I was visiting Dad in MGM las summer and drove the family to Ft, Walton. Rolling along awash in the nostalgia of that road...came over a little rise and got popped with the radar gun. The nostalgia vaporized....:shock:

Back
Top Bottom